How much water to change

badoleross

Everyone seem to do it a little different and as far as i can tell there are no set rules. Some people change water in large amounts once a month while other change small amounts every week. I have a 220 and change out about 10 gallons a week. I turn off the pumps, syphon water out and then add water and turn the pumps back on.

reefnut

I agree... everyone seems to do it a little different. I have a 55g with a 40g refuge & 20g sump and change out 5g every other week, sometimes every week depending on how the tank is doing. IMO newer tanks need larger water changes than established tanks... I also think the size of the refuge in relation to the display has a big part in how much needs changed and how often.
I shut off my main pump, siphon the water from the display and then add it back to the sump... none of my other pumps or powerheads have to be shut down.

viper_930

I've a 20g frag tank with about 20 gallons in the sump. I do either 5 or 10 gallon water changes every week, depending on how many buckets I have available.
I think I do bigger changes than many others. Feeding 25 polyps of dendrophyllia a few times per week really takes its toll on water quality.
I change water the same way ReefNut does. BTW, good to see you back ReefNut!

grubsnaek

how many gallons, ill probably try the every 2 weeks do to the fact of all the extra water in the sump i have now.

grubsnaek

i just might get 40 gallon or fresh RO/DI water every two weeks . that way i have 20 gallons for water change. and 20 gallons for top off, and QT water for the same.