How often do shrimp molt?

swlover

Hey everybody this is really a two part question, 2 peppermint shrimp have molted in one tank-I thought for a second they had died-I see this clear body-all intact floating by, with antenna and all! I was amazed-anyway how often do they do this and should I remove the shell? And I have 2 fan worms-one looks great, he is in the rock-the other is in sand bottom and don't look so good-can I remove him with my hand and place him on the rock with the other? (I will use gloves) Thanks

hawthorn

hi
my cleaner shrimp molt about every 2 weeks they have done this since i got them about 6 months ago and it doesnt matter if you leave the empty molt in there as it will just get eaten by the shrimp themselves or any crabs that are in there.

mrdc

I'm not sure how often mine molt. FYI, iodine is needed for their shells to harden but I think there would be enough iodine in your salt mixture or if you use a multi-additive like reef essentials. However, I think too much iodine will cause them to molt too much and shorten their lifespan. Also, raised iodine levels can be deadly.

bang guy

Adult Cleaner Shrimp should molt about every 28 days when they release their larvae. If they are molting more often than that then they are trying to avoid poisoning by some element in the tank, usually it's Iodine or copper.

mrdc

Saw a peppermint molt shell this morning. Hope it's still alive. Just a little nervous since the last time I saw a molt shell, I never saw the shrimp again.

moneyman

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
Adult Cleaner Shrimp should molt about every 28 days when they release their larvae. If they are molting more often than that then they are trying to avoid poisoning by some element in the tank, usually it's Iodine or copper.
I've always leave their shells in the tank for extra calcium, iodine, whatever... So, I should take out the shell if possible?

cowfishrule

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
Adult Cleaner Shrimp should molt about every 28 days
HOLY CRAP- mine has molted 2x in 2 months- its sort of like, shrimp menstruation.

bang guy

Originally Posted by MoneyMan
I've always leave their shells in the tank for extra calcium, iodine, whatever... So, I should take out the shell if possible?
There's almost no Calcium in a Shrimp shell. The quantity of any toxins in the molt would be so tiny as to be insignificant. It really doesn't matter if you leave it or take it out.

O

oreo12

When mine molts about once a month I leave it. It just breaks up when you try and get it anyway. I have sucked it out doing a water change befor. I rember the first time my saly light foot and my shrimp did it the same day I though it had died removed it and was in there moving some rock and the sally jumped up and scared the grp out of me.

swlover

Thanks-yea it did scare me at first too-I knew they molted just didn't know what to expect-it's amazing how they are a perfect shell-antenna and all. I do use reef essentials, but very sparingly and calcium suppliment, and seabuffer to keep my ph up. I have found one interesting thing however-when i started using these things-my shrimp molted and my hermit crabs have all replaced their shells, and star fish have grown almost over night. So I guess I'm doing good-no losses-but a small spike in algae growth in one tank. I do use only distilled water, and do weekly 20% water changes. I have cut down on light-but the algae seems to grow really fast-I'm thinking I need some snails. What are the best kind-turbos? Thanks again for your help!