How often do you do your water changes?

volitan

As rule of thumb, I've always heard that you need to change 25% of your tank each month. I have a 75 gallon tank, so I do a 5 gallon change weekly, and that adds up to about 25% monthly. HTH

jamesp

I would do water changes the way it suits you. As you read, it's recommend to do 20% every 2 weeks or 10% every week. Test your levels weekly and change as needed. The more livestock you have the more you will have to do them. If you have good filtration, i.e., ls, lr, etc, it will also help with keeping your levels down.

marek

%20 saltwater change if that at all every year. Basically, since all of us must add nearly half or so gallon of fresh water daily due to evaporation, we easily keep replacing/adding all necessary minerals/electrolytes. Also for me at least I just add bottled minerals/vitamins, and buffers/calcium weekly or when necessary etc... not to forget though that A LOT of additional nutrients come from feeding tank inhabitants. The whole water change issue is blown completely out of proportion let alone any necessity. As long as plenty of deep substrate, plenty of live rock, good skimmer, good filter, good water motion and some of the things I mentioned earlier are available, everything will really thrive well. I have one tank that hasn't had a water change in over a year and wont be getting one as it is unnecessary in the case of that tank at least. everything in it is flourishing and seems happy all around, there is no nuisance algea or anything bad. Anyway, I'm happy with my way of keeping. Saltwater mini-reefs are really easy if you people just relax a bit more with all the %20 water changes and some of your other paranoia's...
take care.

twoods71

One thing to note here.
Water changes are done mainly to remove or dilute unwanted nutrients in an aquarium. Replacing evaporated water does not dilute the nutrients that will accumulate over time. The unwanted nutrients will not evaporate.
I do about 10 - 20 % change once a month.

water changes???? i can't remember the last time i did one!! i just top off with kalk, and add eco-system reef solution. my tanks are awesome!!! :D

S

sinner's girl

oh yeah, that's why we bought the water last weekend... we about 10gl or so whenever we think of it or the tank needs it. hey, i'm a college kid, what do you expect? there's a reason we don't keep high maintance stuff...

fishymissy

Agree with Twoods71, when you add water to make up evaporation, you are NOT doing a water change.
There are many who say that water changes are not necessary, but for me, they are as necessary for my fish, as opening a window and airing out the house is for me.
Been keeping fish for most of my life, and I have NEVER seen a water change (done correctly that is) do any harm, while I have seen plenty of tanks that were in desperate need of one!
BTW, I do 10 to 20% every 5 to 7 days....depends on how heavily I fed that week. I might do more often too, if a new fish has been added, or if something seems to be a bit off.
For me at least, doing water changes or messing with the tank, are relaxing, kind of like gardening. Never a chore. ;)

broomer5

I'll just say this ....
IMO - if you are a beginner - have little experience with salt tanks - I would recommend starting off with some level of water change once a month minimum.
As you learn and become more experienced with YOUR unique individual tank - with it's unique filtration setup - bioload - freshwater source -and your own personal maintenance routine/test results - you may find it unnecceassry to do water changes as often. Look to your fish and inverts. They will let you know if something is wrong. You'll know it, hopefully not too late though.
Many experienced hobbyists don't do water changes at all and their tanks do great.
Although .... IN MY OPINION
I'm a firm believer that eventually - some form of water exchange will be required. We don't test every known or unknown compound that accumulates in our tanks. Ain't no way Jose'. Exchanging fresh saltwater for old is IMO the only way to reduce any possible build up of unknown toxins that may accumulate.
Do you know if saltwater dissolves plastics, pvc, acrylic or vinyl ?
Do we test for all heavy metals ?
Do we test for hydrocarbons, organic wastes, total organic carbon ?
Skimmers can remove some of these compounds - but if you are going skimmerless -
Just a thought - ;)

shel

I agree 100 % with Fishymissy, I enjoy working on my tank, and I know the tank really likes the freshness the water change brings. I do 20 %every 2 weeks. If it needs more then I will do it. I guess whatever works for you keep on doing it. :D

nosmada

i used to do 5 gal/month on my 29. since i started dosing with c-balance, which is a trace element/calcium additive, i havent done a waterchange since october. i just tested my water last friday and to this day all is good.
chris