How often do you put vitamin C in fish tank?

mrangel

I have been putting vitamin C in my fish tank. I do it every other day. I put 15 drops. I was wondering if this is too much or if I should do it every day?
Please advice,
Marguerite

flamehawk

I guess if you count soaking food in selcon and zoe then every day. I'm not quite sure about adding drops directly in the water because vit. c disapates quickly and I'm not sure how much benefit you actually get.
It's also very soluable and as aresult should be refrigerated.

T

thomas712

First I agree with BangGuy on this.
Second, what type of vitaman C are you adding?
Third I would do as flamehawk and many of the rest of us do, and that is add a drop to the fishes food that you are about to give them, let it soak for a while, and then feed them.
Thomas

mrangel

Thanks for everyone's response.
I use Kent Marine Vitamin C. It didn't say I needed to keep it refrigerated. I don't add it directly to the food, because I use Zoe and Zoecon.
Should I also add the vitamin C?
marguerite

bang guy

Selcon is plenty. It's a great HUFA additive.
I've never seen any research that indicates animals can obtain Vitamin C from the water column. I strongly doubt it's possible but I could be wrong.
I would really worry about the effects of overdosing though.

foulbrew

What exactly is vitamin C for?? I know some folks who think it prevents colds, but none of my fish have ever caught a cold...

bang guy

Originally posted by CarsGirlsNFish
vit. c is good for immune system

That may be although I've never seen any proof. I know it's a valuable anti-oxidant for humans, I don't know if it translates to Salt water fish though. I'm questioning what the dose should be for a fish that weighs 1/10th of an ounce and what happens when it receives a dose 1000X greater than it needs.

mrangel

I don't really know if the vitamin C that I am putting in the tank will help the fish.
When my little tang was skinny and I was doing everything to make him get better a few people told me to put vitamin C in the tank, because they need it.
I started doing it along with using selcon and zoe.
Marguerite

E

elan

i tried feeding my fish vitamine C tablets, but they cant swallow :rolleyes:
just kidding...lol

kpogue

If you bought everything the distributors say you "need" to have a healthy tank you would need an extra room in your house just to store the stuff!!!!

makai

vitamin c is high doses is considered a hallucinogenic.....
hence, the rumor about drinking your OJ while hanging with Timothy Leary..........
Alot of OJ would have been needed for anything kewl.
I'd be worried about consentrated C, and the size of these small fish...
tripping fish!? lol

leviwin

I have also heard that garlic is good for boosting the immune system of fish. You can get stuff to add to the food or buy it with the garlic already in it. Don't know if this is suppose to have the same effect as vitamin C, but it helps prevent my fish from getting ick and other sicknesses.