How often does everyone change their VHO bulbs on a reef?

salth2o

Hi!
How often does everyone change their VHO bulbs? I purchased an ICECAP VHO system to put over one of 55 gallons. Let me know what your thoughts are.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Every 6 mos...and, boy, what a difference it makes too! VHO's don't last a yr like some ads claim. I have a 660 Icecap system, 4 110-W VHO's 48" each.

O

ohioballer

sorry this is a little off the subject beth but someone told me to ask you about a canopy for a 72 gallon bow front where can i get one or do you have one you are selling i am in northeastern ohio also wickliffe lake county my email is ohioballer@ameritech.net thanx for taking the time to answer me

richard rendos

I have an Icecap VHO ballast and change out bulbs once a year. I have tremendous growth rates and color from my stonies, polyps, mushrooms, leather, etc.
I also use MH and change them out every 9-10 months. MH bulbs seem to shift spectrum and lose intensity faster than my VHO's.

bang guy

I change the Actinics once a year and the AquaSuns every two years.
I no longer use the Actinic Whites, they just don't last well.
Do NOT change all the bulbs at once you will shock your critters.

bang guy

The AquaSun phosphors seem to last longer in my experience. It will be different for each setup. Heat kills bulbs. In an enclosed canopy VHO bulbs will not be useful for as long unless they are cooled by a fan.
While I don't subscribe to using a Lux Meter to determine the amount of light reaching your coral, I do believe they are useful for determining when to change the bullbs.
When comparing a new bulb to an old one remember that new bulbs lose 10 - 15% (or more) of their intensity the first couple weeks. Comparing the brightness of a brand new bulb with a used one is a useless excercise. I take the Lux reading about 2 weeks after the bulb was first lit (about 150 hours) and then replace the bulb when intensity drops another 15%. That's where I came up with the 2 years. In practice I change an AquaSun every 8 months and an Actinic every 4 months (I have 6 bulbs on the display) but never change 2 bulbs in the same month. I move the used AquaSun bulbs to the refugium and use them there an additional 2 years. I recently upgraded my refugium and now have more bulbs over it so I will probably start supplementing with some NO daylights (the refugium lighting).
Even after 4 years the AquaSuns are fairly bright but not up to par for a reef (pun intended).

bang guy

Whoever is cheapestafter shipping. I'm not loyal. I usually buy 6 at a time so I can get free shopping. 6' bulbs are $$ to ship.
Guy