How often to do a water change

mie

Doing water changes is a good thing to do as it replenishes essential elements in your tank.

sly

Originally Posted by mie
http:///forum/post/2591808
Doing water changes is a good thing to do as it replenishes essential elements in your tank.
This is true unless you can test for them. If you dose essential elements that are lost, then it is better to not do water changes as they stress the fish (and it's just something else they have to acclimate to).

mie

I disagree 100%, The water column is basically a sewer in a closed loop system, i.e the home aquarium. It is crucial that routine water changes are done.

fats71

You hear about the guy who never did a WC and its been 8 years same tank and its perfect all the time. I know a guy who is high up the ladder on swf one of the tops no names mentioned that said the best tank is the one you never touch...
He also told us sterility is not so good in a swf tank let the back and sides cover and just clean the front glass :)

rainmkr07

10% weekly works best for my tank.
I find that 10% weekly is faster and easier than 20% every 2 weeks.
And when it's fast and easy, I am more prone to actually doing it and not - not looking forward to water change day.

t316

Originally Posted by Fats71
http:///forum/post/2591962
You hear about the guy who never did a WC and its been 8 years same tank and its perfect all the time. I know a guy who is high up the ladder on swf one of the tops no names mentioned that said the best tank is the one you never touch...
He also told us sterility is not so good in a swf tank let the back and sides cover and just clean the front glass :)
....and who was this???? Maybe you took it out of context, because "the best tank is the one you never touch" is actually good advice. But he/she was probably not saying don't do water changes.

fishygurl

15% whenever i feel like it (usually every 2 weeks to a month and a half or so, nothing is wrong with the water i just want to be on the safe side) no skimmer, refugium, dsb.. a pretty light bioload and 90 pounds of live rock with a 1-2 inch sand bed in my 72...its been like this for a year or 2 no problems havnt really had any water problems...idk whats wrong.. lol i thought i was just lucky? maybe not?

sly

Originally Posted by mie
http:///forum/post/2591947
I disagree 100%, The water column is basically a sewer in a closed loop system, i.e the home aquarium. It is crucial that routine water changes are done.
There's a difference between a sewer and a sanitary septic system... Tanks are not just a waste dump. They are complex systems with biofiltration which recycles and converts wastes into nitrogen gas (nitrogen cycle). If you set up a tank properly it can become a very low maintenance system. I've had this tank running since 2002 and have probably done 10 water changes total. As you can see the tank is clean, the tang is healthy and my coral is growing fine.

jaymz

In my DT which is just fish snails, crabs and a featherduster. I go up to a month between 10% water changes. I just do it because I feel obligated.
In my coral grow out tank I do 20% a week. About 2 hours after the water change is the peak moment of magic when all the corals look awesome, open, stretched out and colors popped.

grabbitt

30 gallon ~ 20% once every three weeks
24 gallon ~ 25% once a month (snowflake eel only inhabitant)
3 gallon ~ 33% once every four days

fireangel

Originally Posted by T316
http:///forum/post/2592878
....and who was this???? Maybe you took it out of context, because "the best tank is the one you never touch" is actually good advice. But he/she was probably not saying don't do water changes.
I agree with doing as little to the tank as possible, but I still do water changes even though I don't need to.
I have a 55 gallon reef (imagine a 100 gallon cut in half 30lx20dx20h).
This one has been set up as fowlr for 3 1/2 years, but was converted to a reef for the last 6 months. I have lots of life in there and a really well balances system. Almost everything was taken from my other reef tanks that I have taken down. My only problem in the tank is a recent (about a month) infestation of Zoanthid eating Nudibranches.
I feed my tank 3x, top off and search for nudi pests daily.
My weekly maintenance consists of wiping the front glass (leave the sides and back for the clean up crew), adding supplements and empting my protein skimmer (collects very little).
Water tests are done every 2-3 weeks and are always perfect.
I do 20% water changes and clean the canister filter (I only use floss) every 3-4 months.
Equipment:
3" bed (80lbs) live sand, 50lbs live rock, Canister filter, HOB refugium, Protein skimmer & Power sweep
Livestock:
Hippo and Sailfin tang, Pair GSM clownfish Lyretail Anthias, Coral Beauty, Pair of Dusky Pipefish, Coral Banded Shrimp, Cleaner Shrimp, 7 Peppermint Shrimp, 4 Serpent Starfish, 8 Emerald Crabs, 2 Horseshoe Crabs, tons of Hermits and Snails, 4 clams, 2 flame scallops, 4 Cleaner Clams, 6 feather dusters, Zoanthids everywhere, Ricordia everywhere, Misc Mushrooms everywhere, yellow and purple whip Gorgonias, Tree Sponges, Frogspawn, Hammer, Aveopora, Green Star Polyps and a whole bunch that I probably forgot about.
Pic was taken when the daylights just came on so not everything is as happy as it usually is.

jpc763

I do 9-10g every other week (I have a 70g total system). I m y move to weekly as my Calcium and dKH seem not to recover anymore.

nuro

Originally Posted by T316
http:///forum/post/2592878
I think this just all gets down to the poitn fo water changes... if you can maintain the proper levels w/out changing water, why change it? with proper livestock selection and equipment it could almost be possible to set up a closed ecosystem.

T

tizzo

You are supposed to do an accumulated 1% a day. For most it's easier (and more beneficial) to round up so you see a lot of 10% a week or 15% every 2 weeks etc...
But if you do them weekly and your system is in check then 7% is sufficient.
Personally I do 10% every 2 weeks cause I'm lazy and salt is expensive.

As far as doing none... If you do that, good for you but I would not advise people that changes are stressful, because if they are done anywhere near correct, they are not.
My own salt mix has about 50 or so "elements" listed on the side of the bucket. There is no way I'm gonna test for all of them, nor do I even know how half are used or even if they are depleted, but they put them there for a reason and I'm gonna replenish them. I would rather "err" on the side of caution I guess.

sly

Good advice... but with everything I would say "your mileage may vary". As I grow my reef tank I may pick up on some water changes as needed.

ruaround

Originally Posted by Sly
http:///forum/post/2590361
I do a 30% water change once every 6 months or sometimes longer.

Originally Posted by Sly

http:///forum/post/2592953
There's a difference between a sewer and a sanitary septic system... Tanks are not just a waste dump. They are complex systems with biofiltration which recycles and converts wastes into nitrogen gas (nitrogen cycle). If you set up a tank properly it can become a very low maintenance system.
AMEN Bro!!!