How to feed an anemone

dea_mt

is it absolutely necessary to spot feed? i have heard that anemones feed off of flakes and such that you feed your tank and also aren't they mostly photosynthetic?

snipe

They can be but they do require the occasional meaty supply of food. Flakes wont make up very mutch of there diet as if you feed like your suppose to your fish will eat all of that before it gets to the anemone. And only Anemone's under MH should be left without feeding as Bubble anemones can live under PC or VHO but should be supplimented as they dont get as much PAR as they would under higher lights. (get what im saying lol).
Also on the touching thing. It depends on what type of anemone some anemone's dont sting and some do. Like the carpets will sting anything including you and it WILL hurt. But my bubble anemone dont effect me as I have accidently touched it a couple times (scary but I found out it dont hurt). I have also found out they can decide to sting or not as if you feed and there hungry they will stick there barbs into the food and hold it, if they dont want to eat then the food will just fall (not getting stuck by the barbs that sting things). And some ppl react diffrent as someone that is allergic or has fragile skin my get stung with an anemone that wouldnt normally bother someone that has thicker skin and isnt allergic.

diane4

I have seen my lfs pick up with their bare hands anemones. I have read that the skin on a human hand is to thick for the sting to pentrate.
I think the saltwaterfish.com site putes that warning in as a disclosure to protect themselves from unlawful harm. Because, depending on the person, their alergies and reaction, one could feel pain and sometimes require hospital care.
Me personally, I don't use my human hand on them. I feed with tongs to deliver the foods toward the center of the anemone. If I need to pick one up to remove it from a lfs bag and place it in my tank, I put on a white medical glove, just to be on the safe side.
In fact, I got a new LTA today and she is pure white. I call her snow white.
As for foods, why is it important to underfeed and not overfeed.
I have a good sized LTA that when fully opened is about 6-7", and I offer him a small chunk of food everyday and once per day. If he accepts the food and takes it in and eats it, then fine. Good for him. If he doesn't pull it in and leaves it, then I remove it. It's that simple. He doesn't overeat and he is doing well. I just think that once a day feedings are a good thing.

snipe

I dont touch mine either as I am feared of it lol. I have accidently touched the bubble anemone as I said but I still dont intentionaly touch it I use gloves. And some ppl that dont react to some anemones may react to another like the carpet I dont think it matters who you are they will leave welps lol.

snipe

Oh I have a LTA as well that is white I was trying to figure out if its a LTA or Condi but if yours is white no reason mine couldnt be either. I think I really need to find him a new home as he only likes it on the bottom burried in the sand and I dont have Halides (my dad bought him I only wanted the Bubble as he will live in my tank).

mudplayerx

"Underfeed instead of overfeed" is a term used to keep you from killing your anemone. Always stop feeding your anemone BEFORE you feel like it has enough to eat. This will ensure that you aen't overfeeding.
Overfeeding is the leading cause of anemone death, second only to inadequate lighting.

diane4

mudplayerx - I am not convinced that overfeeding is a cause of death for the anemone. My guys will take food if they are hungry and desire the food, and they eat it. There have been times I offered it food and it didn't want to eat it.
I believe for all fish and living aquarium animals, small frequent meals is better than larger ones every other day.
I have 7 (going on 8 maybe 9) tanks, 2 are saltwater and I offer food to every living being in my house every single day and all are doing well.
I sometimes think that underfeeding or high tank temperatures (beside the obvious bad water params) is a cause of death, not underfeeding.
Everytime I take an animal home from the lfs, I offer food and it seems to always be starving.
Heck, even humans they suggest that 6 small meals a day is better for you than only 2 or 3 larger meals. Smaller meals makes your blood sugar more even throughout the day and leaves you with a reduced tendacy to overeat.
I know the majority of the fish hobbyist world feed you should underfeed or skip occaisional days, but I enjoy feeding, and if my animals take it - then great. If they don't, I remove it and throw it out. No biggy.
My LTA eats a small peice of food everyday and he gobbles it up, shrinks down and eliminates, and then inflates again. His coloring is great and my clowns love him. I can clearly see he is thriving.
Thats my thoughts on the concept of what and how much to feed your tank inhabitants.
Some people say in the wild they only get to eat every other day or few days. Don't you think if they could, they would eat more. Food is not always available and can't always be easily caught by the anemones. Actually in the wild, animals do feed almost constantly in very small amounts, and occaisionally skip a day or two and that is good for them. It cleanses their system. I don't think it's wrong to cleans them out every so often for a day or two, but that is the exception, not the rule.
mudplayerx - I might eat my words later and regret it :notsure: , but right now - I see in my house 7 very thriving fish tanks and all are very happy with bright color and at a good weight.
I think it is very important to only feed what your animals will eat in a small amount of time and no more than that. And remove un-eaten food.

snipe

I only feed my fish every other day as it allows them to graze on algaes growing in the tank. This is better as they get protien from the flakes and nutrients from the algae. I dont think feeding many times through the day is the best though better than once a day for the newb it can lead to overfeeding.

diane4

I just took this pic tonight of my LTA with my new camera.
Does my LTA we call "Snow White" look like an unhappy camper - he is offered food every day.
I will get pictures in the next day or two of my other anemones.

snipe

Dian dose it have a orange or red foot? It looks like mine but mine had a orange foot that is now pink.

snipe

Mine looked like that. Heres a before and after shot.
1st shot is before shot next 3 are after shots.

snipe

He has since gotten alittle smaller (later on in the day). He is usually all puffed up right after he eats same with my bubble.

snipe

I hand feed mine mush.
really
Shrimp
silverside
scallop
squid
fish flake
and dried nori all blended together for that feeder on the go.

mudplayerx

Overfeeding kills in two ways. First, the anemone will regurgitate the food it doesn't need, possibly leading to water problems. Secondly, overfeeding kills by poisoning the anemone. I suggest reading some books by John Tullock, who does excellent writeups on anemones.
ps- anemones will take food and eat it even if they aren't hungry sometimes. In the ocean anemones have to take what they get whenever they get it. In the tank, they will exibit the same beahvior, and can grow ill.

snipe

Mine has never done this. It will not take food if it isnt hungry (bolth) as it will just let go and it will float off infact bolth of them did this yesterday and today they ate just fine.

diane4

I agree Snipe, my guys won't always take food.
mudplayerx, I understand your concern about regergitated food spoiling water. I watch my tanks alot and I feed them in the early evening. Usually by late that same night, they eliminate and I pick it up with my aquarium tongs to throw it out. And if I miss anything, it is picked up with my weekly water changes, which I believe in each week because it makes the animals happy and I do like to feed, so it cleans the water.
I will take your suggestion about reading the articles from the author you suggested.
I just think that the "underfeeding" concept goes to far the other way, and in some cases stunts animals growth.
Some people I think might reply to Snipes comments that her anemone spits out food sometimes if it doesn't want to eat as a sign that it found the particular food unacceptable to it. I would buy that theory, if different food was offered all the time. I generally feed my guys cut up pieces of raw shrimp and occaisional treats of baby neck clam meat, krill or other meaty fish food.
I just am a firm believer of offering food dialy to all living things and if they eat it, fine, if not then thats ok too.
Yes, people too can go for a day and longer without food, but we don't - we eat every day and several times a day. Can we live days without food, yes. Did primative man sometimes not eat for a few days because he had to hunt for his food, if he could get it, yes. But mankind lives longer lives today because of better knowledge, medicine developement, and daily food with a target of balanced nutrition as much as possible.
I think all living things, humans, plants, dogs, cats, fish and verts....all, need certain things everyday or at least have the opportunity for it.
Snipe, how often do you offer your anemones food and do you vary their food choices often or what?
Plus I like to feed, it's fun...so there is something in it for me.
I think, you really need to gauge it on how the animal looks. If it looks healthy, and it aint broke, don't fix it.