How to feed an anemone

snipe

Snipe is a he not a she
As for feeding I fed a mix of scallop, shrimp, silver side, and squidd. It never turned it down so I then blennded together and added some vegie matter to it and they still like it.

vickic316

Originally Posted by Snipe
http:///forum/post/1280812
Well one anemone I feed I drop a peice of shrimp on top and push it down to the disk so the pesky fish cant get it (if its on top of the anemones tentichles they will take it because they know they wont get stung). For my other one I hold my hand above and infront of it and drop or kinda toss the peice towards it it usually fall in its tentichles and he will close up over it. I dont use gloves though I am close to the anemone but not touching it. Some anemone dont sting like the anemone name implies and some ppl dont even get stung by there anemone at all.
I just got my first Anemone. When you feed them with a syringe, does the anemone curl up into itself for awhile? Is that normal? I have no experience with them and nervous I will hurt it. I just fed it thawed frozen krill by squirting next to the mouth and it i went back by to check it and it is curled up tight. Does this mean it is eating?

Just in case somebody hasn't seen this, there is a youtube video called Licking a Green Sea Anemone. A guy is talking about, and licking an anemone in a wave pool. He dose it a couple of times to get a better sensation, lol.

calbert0

unless you have extremely sensitive skin, then handling an anemone should not bother you at all. I dont go out of my way too touch them but have definately taken them out of plastic bags and placed them in tanks with my bare hands

jtyner3

Ok, I got these frozen shrimp cubes to feed my new bubble tip that my local fish store recommended. I let a cube thaw out. After peer pressure from the wife, i used my bare hand to push some shrimp down into the tentacles. It sat in there for a few minutes and then the anemone pushed the shrimp out & back into the water. Any feedback or suggestions would be greatly appreciated on why this happened. Thanks.

handbanana

I saw a cool DIY project for feeding LR and corals. Maybe it would work on a nem?
They cut the bottom off a 2 litre bottle and ziptied two pieces of pvc to the bottom for weights forming a "diving bell". unscrew the cap, lower over critter to be fed and feed through the cap opening. then other fish cant nab the goods.
No Idea if this would work on a nem but thats my .02 I figured Id add

masilva8168

HowI often should I feed a anemones? I am feeding it one cube of shimp and is doing ok but the anemones seem to want more but I don't want to over feed it.

1guydude

i feed my lil hitchhiker anenomes and galaxy coral bout twice a week....btw this thread is like a year old

handyman4545

Love your analogy.
I feed my gta 1/2" pieces of raw, frozen, Tiger Shrimp (thawed of course) once a day.
He's a little particular and will disgorge or drop anything that's too big or still in he shrimp shell.
I put the shrimp up to his tenticles and he snaps it up from my fingers.
As a scuba diver, I have learned to respect the underwater life and as such, I don't touch anything when diving.
I practice the same with my 55gal tank and dont touch the little guy so I've never been stung in the many feedings.

scrapman

I have a big LTA in my 90 gal with 2 clowns.... It eats anything. I feed thawed squid, large pellets..... It also ate my beautiful cleaner shrimp!!..... My other fish know better (yellow tang, coral beauty and six-line wrasse).