How to get a mushroom off??

lbannie

I have a rhodactis (sp) mushroom that I want to move....or sell to my lfs. It has split already and looks like it's doing it again.....Anyway, how do you peel it off the rocks without harming it? I'm afraid I'll kill it :(

1guydude

mushrooms i find are one of the hardest things for ME to frag! As is my kenya!
They get all slimy so u cant glue them...*******!
U can take a razor blade or hobby knife to the base of the mushroom! When its free...take a tupaware container with some LR rubble in it and put the mushrooms under the LR. They will attach to a new piece and climb up to the light. The tupaware will keep the flow from blowing them away as well!
Honestly u cant kill these lil buggers...ive heard of people putting em in blenders and puring the goo back in the tank and ending up with 100s of lil shrooms all over!
U can put em in the dark and they will adapt and survive! Believe me a very hardy coral mushrooms are!

bang guy

I used a chisel to take a thin slice of rock off with the mushroom attached. Then you superglue that slice of rock onto a larger piece of rock.
Leave a tiny piece of the foot of the mushroom behind and it will form a new mushroom fairly quickly. "Pedal laceration" is a very common reproductive method for Rhodactis.