How to grow coralline algae

dmanatee

Strange question do you have any Coraline algae in your tank right now? That's a big factor since it doesn't spontaneously appear. Also what is the calcium level in the tank. Or the magnesium amount. Both of these contribute to the Coraline growth rate.
Also watch out for urchins as they tend to help you "get rid" of your Coraline problem.

I have coraline doesn't seem to be spread... When you say "time" how long for a 5lbs rock with eight patches the size of a silver dollar? Calcium 400, alk 8-10, what test kits would I need for a complete reef system?

Ok I've done some reading i found and copied all the parameters needed for a reef system. Now the grand question where can I find this complete test kit and which brand would be best?

S

smartorl

If you have a tank you should be testing your water parameters in order to keep your tank stable.
What size tank do you have? How long has it been established? What is it stocked with? How much of a biofilter (live rock) is in place? And most importantly, how often and how large of water changes?
Water changes is how we replenish the trace elements that are being depleted so routine water changes are essential.
There are no hard and fast rules to coraline algae growth. There are just too many variables. Some people have growth start relatively early while others go for years without establishing any noticable growth.
Many consider it to be a nuicense, myself included because once it grows, it doesn't stay on your rock, it grows on your glass and can be difficult to remove.

bang guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addickreefer http:///forum/thread/381849/how-to-grow-coralline-algae#post_3329064
I have coraline doesn't seem to be spread... When you say "time" how long for a 5lbs rock with eight patches the size of a silver dollar? Calcium 400, alk 8-10, what test kits would I need for a complete reef system?
Your ALK is fine to grow Coralline as is your Calcium, do you maintain it near that level?
The more waterflow the better, moderate lighting is best. Is your temperature above 80F?

20 gallon long 30lbs rock 2 false perculas, yellowtale damsel, two gobies, water changes once a week filter and skimmer cleanings once a month.

deejeff442

well looking at your profile seems to me your just another wanna be wise a++.dont try to pull off being a knowledgeable hobbyist it wont work
finding the acceptable values of trace elements are very easy .try looking on the instructions of a test kit .it has pictures for you.