how to replenish sand?

carlos413

how to replenish sand? I want a deeper sand bed. I have a reef tank with corals and sponges. how can add more sand with out it bothering my corals?

spanko

In my opinion;
Do not disturb the existing sand base.
Add sand to 1/3 of the tank to the depth you want. Let the tank sit for a week.
Add sand to the 2nd 1/3 of the tank to the depth you want. Let the tank sit for a week.
Add the final amount of sand to the 3rd 1/3 of the tank.
Done deal. No fuss no muss.

cherylann

How do you avoid the cloudyness and would it be bad for my sps and clams. When I added the sand to refugium the cloudyness was so bad the clown fish freaked out. Thanks for any advice

spanko

Use a pc. of PVC pipe and a funnel. Point one end of the pipe down to the bottom of the tank where you want the sand to go and use the funnel on the other end to put the dand into the pipe.
Or
Use a zip lock bag. Put the sand in the bag, put the bag to the bottom of the tank open the bag and let the sand out.
Whichever way you choose just go slowly.

bang guy

The cloudiness isn't going to bother anything. Just use a powerhead or turkey baster to get the dust off the rock after it has settled.
If it's live sand (worms, otracodes, etc.) then don't add more that 1/2" at a time.

rgf1046

I tried the funnel in the past and the live sand just clogs its up because of the moisture. I used a big cup and placed it on the bottom as gentle as I could. Cloudiness went away over night and didn't bother a thing.

btldreef

I personally like the bag trick. If you open it slowly and release the sand carefully you should be fine. There's no way to avoid cloudiness, but you can decrease it if you're patient. I agree about adding a little at a time and then waiting a few days before adding more. The cloudiness, unless it's a TON, really should not bother your coral or fish. The coral might close up for a little bit, but they'll be fine.

spanko

Originally Posted by rgf1046
http:///forum/post/3160082
I tried the funnel in the past and the live sand just clogs its up because of the moisture. I used a big cup and placed it on the bottom as gentle as I could. Cloudiness went away over night and didn't bother a thing.
I am sorry, should have added, I would not add live sand to an up and running tank.

jbirdsnest

What would be the problem with adding live sand to an already running tank? I have done it without any ill effects.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by jbirdsnest
http:///forum/post/3160387
What would be the problem with adding live sand to an already running tank? I have done it without any ill effects.
if you add too much at once you smother whatever life is already existing in the sand bed. you also can change aerobic areas rapidly to anaerobic causing a bacterial die off that may cause dangerous ammonia spiking. or if the "live sand" is not fully live the die off in the "live sand" that your adding can cause spiking. there are a few problems that can be countered by adding the sand slowly to let your aquarium adjust slowly.

keith gray

Should exisiting live sand like Aragonite ever be "cleaned", I have had the same sand in my 65g for years but I wondered if that is OK or not

C

cjke77418

I was wondering the same thing is adding live sand a problem? should u do a water change soon after? im a little new at this but would like to add more sand