How to rid your tank of Red-Slime!

I read that as well . . . not convincing enough to pour vodka in my tank. Interesting idea though.

yellowtail

probably did a bad thing - the slime was all over the sandbed so I scooped what i could with a net (just the top layer) off of where it was the worst. now thinking, hope i didn't stir up bad stuff or remove too much good. going to do the lighting thing for the next three days, feed 1x a day instead of 2, get another powerhead.
i have a glass top under my lighting. thinking this might not be the best. anyone use that lighting eggcrate? don't want to do an open top.

nyreefer

Yellowtail,
I had cyano as well. Tried more flow, lighting, phosphate removers, etc. The thing that finally worked for me was removing my glass tops. I suspect they were trapping excess carbon dioxide and preventing oygen exchange. The cyano has slowly started to receed. Use eggcrate if you are concerned about your fish jumping out.

Originally posted by YellowTail
. . . feed 1x a day instead of 2 . . .

you're overfeeding, thats why you have cyano.

yellowtail

Originally posted by NYReefer
Yellowtail,
Use eggcrate if you are concerned about your fish jumping out.

yes, I have thought of that! where do you get it? the light won't melt it? I have coral life aqua light 2-96 (192).

misfit

What processor speed is it ? what kind of drives are they?
If the processor speed is 500 or less Win xp usually doesnt like it. And some dvd cdr/rw drives that are some what older need to have the rom flashed.that you can download from the manufacture website.

misfit

sorry wrong spot to post reply thats what happens when your doing to many dam thinks at once

duke jjz

Great Thread!! I am also now having a problem with "the hairy slime"... I want to try the reduction of light method, but am concerned about my corals. I have a Moonstone Brain, Cup Coral and some trees. Will they be OK only having the light on a few hours a day??
Thanks!