how would u put out a fish that was sick?

reefer545

Put it in a plastic sandwich baggy or a gallon freezer bag (depending on size) and then hit it with a cast iron skillet. Simple, fast, no clean up required.

clownfish11

that would be hard to watch...i would have taken it to the LFS and let them do with it what they wanted, and mabye they could have healed it and if not they would prbly have done it hte most humane..just my thought

clownfish11

at least the people at my LFS cuz they are awesome..lol but i wouldnt be able to do any of those things listed above..

suzy

If you guys run across a streak of "bad luck", I hope you know it is karma....Not that I hope you get a large blood clot careening to your widow maker RCA artery..... but if it happens, please know it was the Captive Reef Goddess......

spiderwoman

Originally Posted by NYyankeees
http:///forum/post/2494191
And BTW some of you people are sick puppies.

+1
I found this on the subject
The best method is a two-step process. First, anesthetize the fish with clove oil so that it is sleeping and unable to feel pain; then introduce a clear grain alcohol like vodka to ensure the fish will not wake up.
This method is commonly misrepresented as mixing clove oil and vodka together. That is incorrect. Clove oil must be introduced first, allowing the fish to fall asleep before introducing vodka. Vodka will be stressful for a fish that is not anesthetized.
Clove oil (eugenol) is available at any drug store and is sold as a toothache remedy. It has been used for years as a fish anesthetic for surgeries and tagging procedures. Clove oil will put a fish to sleep and ensure it feels no pain. However the fish can wake up from this sleep if removed from the clove bath. The last step of adding the vodka will ensure the fish expires.
Here are the steps for fish up to 3" (7.6cm) in length:
1. Add tank water to a measuring cup or mixing bowl. Measure the amount of tank water you add to the cup or bowl and make a note of it. Place the fish in the container. If the fish is in a clear cup place a dark towel around the cup to calm the fish.
2. Fill a small, clean jar or bottle with tank water, leaving some room at the top. This might be a baby food jar or pill bottle. Put 1 drop of clove oil in the jar or bottle, cap and shake vigorously. The clove oil must emulsify, turning the water milky white.
Gently pour about 1/4 of this emulsified mixture into the fish's container. The fish will begin listing as it starts to fall asleep. Let the fish be for about 10 minutes. The fish should be resting on the bottom by then. It will look dead, but if you watch closely its gills will be breathing once every few seconds. If after 10 minutes the fish is still rising off the bottom swimming intermittently, retrieve the jar or bottle of emulsified clove oil, re-shake, and add the same dose to the fish's container. Wait again.
3. Once the fish is asleep on the bottom, add 20-25% white grain alcohol. For example, if the fish is in 8oz (240ml) of water, add 2oz (60ml) of vodka. Let the fish stay there for at least 20 minutes.
4. Check the fish carefully after 20 minutes for any gill movement. If there is no gill movement over a 60 second period, the fish has expired.
For large fish: Place the fish in a bucket or plastic tub with tank water. Again, measure how much tank water is used. The dose for the mixture in the jar will be 10 drops of clove oil per gallon (3.78 liters). For example, if the fish is placed in 3 gallons (11 liters) of tank water, fill your jar with tank water and add 10 x 3 = 30 drops of clove oil. After shaking the jar vigorously, slowly add the entire mixture to the bucket or tub that contains the fish. Gently mix it in. Once the fish is asleep, follow the previous instructions for adding 20-25% vodka.
To eliminate vodka from the procedure and overdose with clove oil alone: Put the fish to sleep first as stated above, waiting 10 minutes for the fish to settle on the bottom. A lethal overdose of clove oil is 50 drops per gallon (3.78 liters), or 5x stronger than the initial dose that anesthetizes the fish. Using the same example, if the fish is in 3 gallons (11 liters) of tank water, the jar's lethal mixture will include 50 x 3 = 150 drops of clove oil. Administer it the same way, by first emulsifying (shaking) the jar before adding the mixture to the fish's container.
Once you've added the entire mixture to the fish's container, wait a few hours. Finally, make sure there is absolutely no gill movement by watching the gills closely for at least 60 straight seconds. If you see any gill movement, add more emulsified clove oil.
Using clove oil alone is not recommended because even though a fish looks dead it can recover once it has been removed from the bath. Clove oil is a preferred anesthetic precisely because it is hard to overdose a fish with clove oil. Therefore be especially diligent when using clove oil alone that the fish is really dead. It is much safer to use vodka as the final step.
Unacceptable methods of euthanasia are: freezing, boiling, chopping, removing the fish from water, using a seltzer tablet, slamming, pithing, decapitating, or flushing down the toilet. These methods are slow, torturous, stressful or violent. Clove oil followed by vodka is both inexpensive and humane. The fish goes to sleep like we might before an operation, and simply doesn't wake up.
Hopefully you will rarely have to perform this task, but when you do, it's at least comforting to know your fish does not have to suffer.

dont know how humane this is, but can report that it worked once on accident. I was like 6 and dont know why I even had a steaming hot cup of boiling water ,and a cup of ice cold water, but i put the fish in ice cold water for 2 seconds, then dropped him in boiling water. Didn't even fight it, was dead.
I usually put them in a bag, and smack it HARD against something.

bdhutier

Originally Posted by COWFISHRULE
http:///forum/post/2012489
i live in New Jersey- i do it every day.
LMAO, +1 to you, Cowfish!!
Originally Posted by Dlauber
http:///forum/post/2493403
try the blender?
Hey, maybe you'd end up with 12 new clowns!! *flashback to RK's 'shroom experiment...
Originally Posted by Suzy

http:///forum/post/2493932
... face the Captive Reef Goddess's wrath. Just know that everything bad that ever happens in your life is because of the CRG who wishes you bad tidings.....
Wow, the CRG looks pretty nice. Too bad I'm already married, maybe she and I could have gone violent wrathing together. Oh well, what's done is done...