HQI Bulb Question

thamobster

hey just yesterday i bought an hqi pendand and if u look at the thread below youll see im already having problems..but my question is my hqi came with the aqualine 10,000 k bulb..after turning it on its bright but id like more of a blue then the dull white color..i hear the 20,000 k is a bit more blue..is there a specificly brighter blue i can try..and also its a 250w hqi..i cant buy a 400w bulb for my 250 can i..im guessing the ballast couldnt handle it and the bulb may be bigger..thanks

bang guy

20,000K is very blue.
Is there any way to add an Actinic VHO or PC lamb to help out the 10,000K?
Also, let the lamp run a couple weeks to break in before you make a decision on its color.

thamobster

yeah i actually have an aqualight lunar running with the hqi..its 96watt atintic and 10000k with lunar lights..so i guess the 10000k from the lunar light is also contributing to the whiteness..yeah i think id really need the blue affect though..il let it run its course first though..does the color of the light significantly change over a couple weeks?thanks

thamobster

i also just tried turning off the 10000k on the aqualight to see if itd make a difference..it made a slight difference..but it didnt seem like there was enough light when i did..i think im gonna need all the light i can get cuz i have a few anemones and now a clam..and id like more..is the 20000k a brighter bulb since its blueish?or is it just more of a color effect?will i notice a difference over the 10000k..sorry for all the questions..thanks nick

golfish

Originally posted by thamobster
iis the 20000k a brighter bulb since its blueish?or is it just more of a color effect?

Just the opposite, the 20K has less par and will appear not as bright.
Originally posted by thamobster

will i notice a difference over the 10000k..

The reason I stopped using 250 watt DE's is because back then the highest K rated bulb you could get was a 10K. I couldn't stand the ugly color so I switched back to SE 400 watters. Now, there are all kinds of new bulbs out. The 14K's look real nice but the par isn't what a 10K can do.