Huge Mantis!!

M

matt_m

My lfs has a peacock mantis that's at least 6" long. I have it reserved and i am picking it up tomorrow night. I'll take plenty of pics and post them.

dory36

My lfs had one about 2 weeks ago. It was the coolest thing I've ever seen!
It was ripping apart a shell and making a funny snapping sound at the same time. I would have bought it, but unfortunately, they aren't reef safe, so..... Can't wait to see pics!!

M

matt_m

Here he is. He measures a little over 6" long not including his antenae. He has his own 29 gal tank with about 8lbs live rock and some live lunch. (Finally, i can get rid of those evil damsels)

speg

Man he is friggin awesome. post more pics when you can please. I wanna see some of him eating!

nomad

That's a really beautiful peacock mantis. I'm sure it will enjoy having the damsels over for dinner.

speg

Its kinda hard to tell exactly how big this guy is from the pics.... you think you could put your hand in the tank by it so I can get a good idea of its size? Thanks.

thangbom

man!!! he's cool..... and yes i do still think he looks delicious!!!!..... how much was the dude?? he's colorful as heck...

Y

yeffre kix

Originally Posted by Speg
Its kinda hard to tell exactly how big this guy is from the pics.... you think you could put your hand in the tank by it so I can get a good idea of its size? Thanks.
now THATS funny !

dory36

Matt, that is the coolest mantis! You lucky dog! :jumping: Makes me want to go out and start my third saltwater tank!

speg

What did you pay for it by the way? Keep me posted on foods you feed it/it accepts too.. and also how it likes / reacts to the environment you have it in.

f1shman

Yes very awesome. But i have researched them much because I was planning on getting a small one for my 12 gallon. From what I have read you should really build them a little cave, (in your case, a pretty big cave) because they love to stay in the dark and in a secured area until its prey has arived, then it runs out, brings it back to its cave and has its meal. But that is one awesome mantis and yes please put you hand in so we can really tell how big he is
How did you get him home? Wouldn't he be able to break teh plastic bag?

M

matt_m

we brought him home in a styrofoam box. The store employees were a little aprehensive about getting out of the tank, lol. I have a couple pieces of live rock in there set up as a nice cave for him.

f1shman

Oh okay matt_m sounds like you definitly did your research (unlike some other on here
) *pats you on the back* awesome job and I'm sure that mantis will love his new home. Do keep us posted on how hes doing and some pics of him and his prey!

speg

Originally Posted by Dmitry
Sheesh! That's not a shrimp, that's a frigging jumbo lobster!

Thats partially correct :) Mantis shrimp really are not a shrimp at all.