Huma Huma and Lion fish?

E

emeralcrab

My son really wants a lion fish, but I have Roy the trigger fish, I have heard that lions will be chew toys for the trigger. Has anyone had any trouble with this combination? So far Roy is a perfect gentleman, the little hippo tang is the meany of the tank.
Thanks

reeftank27

my petstore has a huge clown trigger with a lionfish...no problems at all and clown triggers are very aggressive. it all depends on the fish.

xdave

I had a 2" Huma that killed my 15" Lion with one bite. Trigers snap sometimes. You could have one for years and one day he kills everything in a couple minutes. Not something I'd want my kid to see.

E

emeralcrab

The more I read about these little huma's, makes me wonder if I should just take him back, I've had him for about 3 months. Are there any happy stories out there......? Do they all snap......?

adamc1303

I has a huma with a lion for like 6 months. Nothing ever went wrong because the lion has a very very bold temperment so he would swing rite back at the trigger. But my huma did go nutz all the time to the point that I got rid of everything and changed over to a reef, I needed somethinf peaceful. One time the huma went over to a yellow tang and sucked his eye out, my wife started screaming. When I came to see what was going on he sucked the other eye out. Tangs being thin, you could see rite through the fish as it swan with our its eyes for 2 min before I took it out and killed it. I couldn't see the thing suffer and dye like that. My wife flipped out and I changed over to my reef.

E

emeralcrab

OMGosh, that is horrible. Maybe he will go in a tank all by himself. I really hate getting rid of him....man now I wish that I wouldn't of even gotten him...but as with everything here on the FARM once their here they seem to not go away. Horses, donkeys, mules, rabbits, chickens, ducks, ball pythons, black bearded dragons, dog, cats, fish and more fish.......ummm I will have to think on this one. Right now my hippo tang is the real meany of the tank, she is running the poor three spot domino all over. :thinking:

martinc909

Thank god I finally got rid of mine.
I got 2 damsels after my tank had finished cycling and then bought a orange spoted goby. Then I put "Pablo" in there and he has eaten
the two damsels
The orange spoted goby
Killed
Diana's Hogfish
Porcupine Puffer
Harlequin Tuskfish
They were doing good (humu,porc,tusk) and then I went to go get salt for water changes and When I was mixing the salt. He SNAPPED. And there goes the puffer and the tusk.
He had a great personality. One weekend we left to Los Angeles and when we got back He was floating and we thought he was dead. But we found out that he got depressed because noone was there. And in twenty minutes he was back to normal. After he killed my two fish I would get close to the tank and look at him and he would act like a dog would after he does something bad and they know they did something wrong and you are about to yell at them. Thank god he is gone. Now I'm going to get a Volitans.

i had a lion , undulated, clowntrigger,and a hum huma and a niger all got along. than one day the undulated decided to rip the huma huma eye out , needless to say it went out of control next was the niger than he went after the lion. but my clowntrigger was mean as hell but never went after the lion .had a huma that killed a lion before so it all depends on the fish . also had a lion eat a huma and a niger so go figure

scsinet

I'm a fan of the Asassi. Very similar coloring, etc, but less aggressive. Mine died, apparently of new tank syndrome... I was a bit zealous with my stocking, so he never got old enough to harass my Lion.

E

emeralcrab

I got this little huma huma as in my Marine book says it is one of the less aggressive triggers. Then after I got him, in another book it said it is a very aggressive one......I get nervous everytime I go to my tank now with all the horror story's.....

scsinet

Well "Aggressive" is a relative term... even the least aggressive Triggers are the most aggressive of all commonly kept fish.
Humas, Picassos, and Asassis are all very similar in coloring. All I know for sure is what I've researched, and Humus/Picassos are about "average" aggressiveness for Triggers.
If you want the most well mannered, try the Asassi, the Pink Tail, Blue Throat, and the Niger. I am quoting from memory here, so research before taking my word for it.

dragonzim

My 2.5 inch Humu took out a 8-9 inch Lion. Also stripped all the skin off the back of a puffer before I took him out of the tank.

E

emeralcrab

OMGosh...........how long did you guys have these fish together before they SNAPPED?

docsls6

Originally Posted by EmeralCrab
I got this little huma huma as in my Marine book says it is one of the less aggressive triggers. Then after I got him, in another book it said it is a very aggressive one......I get nervous everytime I go to my tank now with all the horror story's.....
I have 3 nigers
1 blue jaw female
1 undulated
1 dogface
1 huma huma
1 corey grouper
The undulated and huma huma are by far the most aggressive. The huma huma is 2nd in line with the undulated.

P

pcpope

We have a 3" huma and a 4" niger in a 265 with a 6" volitan with 10 other fish no problems our huma is very sweet.

dragonzim

Originally Posted by EmeralCrab
OMGosh...........how long did you guys have these fish together before they SNAPPED?
The trigger and Lion were together for about a year and a half and the puffer was with them for about 8 months or so.

E

emeralcrab

PCPope, how long have you had yours all together? I have a friend, (yip at least one anyway,) that have had their huma huma, puffers and others together for 3 or 4 years. I sure hope mine stays sweet, he just ignores the other two with him.