hunger strike seahorse

sleeper

I just purchased 2 (TANK BRED) seahorses for my 29 gal, I'm so excited! However, while the female is eating like it's her job, the male has yet to touch any of the mysis shrimp or bloodworms I've given them.
I kow it's less than a day, but does anyone have any good suggestions for convincing him to eat?

sleeper

I purchased them Monday night. Now it's Wed. morning. She continues to eat. He still looks skinny and won't eat. I'm going to the LFS to get some live brine and mayebe trick him into eating the mysis with them.
But I still sppreciate advice.

sleeper

I know you don't feeed the brine, but you have to get them eating. SO if brine is what you start them on, then so be it.

jdennysgir

I had a couple of seahorses for about a year and a half. I went to the seahorse org. site and got tons of info. there. I also panicked when my horses wouldn't eat when i first got them. It took about 3 or four days to even get them to start to eat. I used frozen mysis, diluted it with the saltwater and used a turkey baster to slow drop the mysis right in front of them. They are very stubborn creatures, but very interesting. I wish you luck. I missed many a nights sleep worrying about mine. Eventually, my husband made a feeding "trough" for me to drop the mysis in at feeding time. I would tap on the glass and they would come a swimming. About a year ago, one just died for no apparent reason. It was eating fine and acted like it always had. About 2 weeks later, the other died. Once the first one passed on the other quit eating as well as he had been. He was very unhappy. They were both males but they always hung out together. I think the second one died because he missed the first one. If you would like I can try and find some of the pics I took of Fred and Barney and post them. I think I have one of the feeding trough also. Again, good luck and don't stop trying. I was so distraugt at about day 3 I ordered live shrimp from a man on the seahorse org. site. They really went after those! Just go to the site and ask questions. They are more than happy to help just as they are on this site.

pammy

I have a new tank bred seahorse who is refusing to eat anything except live ghost shrimp. Everyone else loves the frozen pe mysis, but not her. She's a stubborn little bugger! I would try the ghost shrimp. You've got to get her to start eating soon. Good luck!

Smiles,
Pam

darth tang

The live brine is your best bet, however if you have Selcon and some garlic extreme try soaking the Mysis in this (you should do this regularly anyway). The garlic might peak your male's interest as it "smells" appealing. I had to do this when my male went on strike. I dislike the live brine as nutritionally they suck. However you should still feed live brine to them atleast twice a week from what I have learned.

darth tang

What species of seahorse is it? How long were the at Your LFS before you bought them? What size tank?
Could you detail your set up also and list water parameters. Horses are tricky sometimes as environment plays a big part on appetite. Might be something simple to correct in your set up.

sleeper

I'll try the garlic idea. That's a good one.
My setup is a 29 gal. one sebae anenome, scooter blenny missing firefish (might have jumped??)... a bunch of crabs down low...
amonia is consistently at 0, nitrites consistently in the lowest color bar of the test kit. I don't ever test for nitrates because I so frequently change the water...
But the thing is, the female is eating. This makes me think it's internal to the male...

darth tang

It could be, or it could be something is bothering your male. I strongly recomend removing the anemone. Seahorses hitch a lot with their tails and anything in a tank that the could hitch on get stung by is a problem. Your male may have been stung and since then stopped feeding.

sleeper

I have the Penguin Emperor 400. It's on a 29. I'm not even sure of the specifications in terms of turnovber but I know it's high for that tank.

celacanthr

yep that is what i mean i have hear 3-7x turnover max but that may just be for H. capensis and H. zostrea bytheway what is the species?

darth tang

3-7 Is the recommended norm. However a couple species will do fine in higher current. My seahorses will actually play in the current I have. I had it upwards of 12 times at first (math miscalculation), but I later lowered it. But the horses did fine at the higher current. Depending on the species you have, this may also contribute to your feeding problem. Has the male ate yet?