Hunting Rifle

shogun323

OK Barry, TX and whoever else wants to throw in some input, I am wanting to pick up a nice hunting rifle. In Florida you are either hunting deer from a tree stand (note:Florida deer are more like the size of dogs
) or hogs in the brush. I am looking for a good all around rifle. I have a couple friends that recommend a 30/30. They say that a 30 OT 6 is too much of a gun to be hauling through the brush for hogs in their experience. So what do you think in regards to guage, action, brand?
I would love to hear some input from you hunters out there!!

hot883

I would use:
1. .44 mag Ruger Mk2 bolt action rifle.
2. .30-30
3. 223/5.56 like an AR-15 or similar.
4. want to be manly about it then a pistol, long barrel .44mag or .357 say a Taurus (life time garantee) or a Ruger. Both being revolvers.
I just purchased a Puma .45 LC cowboy action lever action rifle and a Henry Ducks Unlimited lever action .22lr.
Then I bought a Saiga .308 carbine.
Your choices are endless Wade. When I lived in Hawaii I would go to the Big Island often to see my Hawaiian family. We went wild boar hunting all the time with a pack of rescued dogs and knives.
Good luck. Barry

shogun323

Originally Posted by hot883
Your choices are endless Wade. When I lived in Hawaii I would go to the Big Island often to see my Hawaiian family. We went wild boar hunting all the time with a pack of rescued dogs and knives.
Good luck. Barry
Funny you would mention that, my brother just went last weekend. The guy he goes with has the best dogs around and a huge cage in his truck so they keep them alive and sell them. He said it was the biggest rush ever!! I am going with them next time.

hot883

Originally Posted by shogun323
Funny you would mention that, my brother just went last weekend. The guy he goes with has the best dogs around and a huge cage in his truck so they keep them alive and sell them. He said it was the biggest rush ever!! I am going with them next time.
I have caught marlin, sharks, shot alot of deer blah, blah, blah, but to kill a boar with a knife was the utmost exhilerating(sp) challenge of all times. Love it.
Wild boar has none to very little fat on them too. Just finished making deer jerky the other day from one of my 5 deer this past season.

shogun323

Just finished making deer jerky the other day from one of my 5 deer this past season.
That's it! I am coming up to Ok. I Love homemade jerky!!!!!
What do you think about a bolt action 270?

taz_12777

How about a 25 06, or 7mm 08, go with a synthetic stock to keep it light and durable. You could always go with a Thompson Center and then you could change barrels to suit your need on any occasion.

shogun323

Originally Posted by TAZ_12777
How about a 25 06, or 7mm 08, go with a synthetic stock to keep it light and durable. You could always go with a Thompson Center and then you could change barrels to suit your need on any occasion.
The 7mm seems to be quite a popular round. I have been reading more on the 270 and it is still looking pretty good.

nigerbang

I would use:
1. .44 mag Ruger Mk2 bolt action rifle.
2. .30-30
3. 223/5.56 like an AR-15 or similar.
4. want to be manly about it then a pistol, long barrel .44mag or .357 say a Taurus (life time garantee) or a Ruger. Both being revolvers.
I just purchased a Puma .45 LC cowboy action lever action rifle and a Henry Ducks Unlimited lever action .22lr.
Then I bought a Saiga .308 carbine.
Good luck. Barry
I completly agree with #1..I have a Ruger 44 and it is an awsome brush gun..When hunting from a distance I have a Rem. model 700 30.06 I use...with a 50mm leopould(SP)

the j.o.p.

7mm sounds like a bit much a 270 will have a super flat trajectory if your shooting 100+ yards. but i use a 308 and a 243. because my longest kill was about 55 yards.

shogun323

So here has been my day. I have gone gun shopping, signed up for a concealed weapons course, ate chicken wings accompanied by draft beer, visited my favorite LFS, stopped by a friends tattoo place, and smoked a cigar. What a great day. I have decided to go for a 270. I am going to take my time perusing the classified to get a good deal.

shogun323

Originally Posted by TAZ_12777
Now thats the kind of day I wish I had.
I could die tonight a happy man!!!!

shogun323

So much for taking my time and perusing the classified. I just went to the gunshow today and picked up a Winchester 270!!! I am excited. I also picked up a Kel tec 380. Great little weapon for carrying concealed!!!

shogun323

Originally Posted by The J.O.P.
you should have gotten a glock!!! i have the 27, 21, 32, and i love them.
I have a Glock model 22. 40 caliber. I love it!!!! It seems llike people either love glocks or hate 'em. I personally love 'em!!

hot883

Originally Posted by shogun323
I have a Glock model 22. 40 caliber. I love it!!!! It seems llike people either love glocks or hate 'em. I personally love 'em!!

When I was in Quantico, Virginia going through Small Arms Weapons Instructor School (SAWIC) we did the testing on the Glocks for military use. We fired the 9mm 15,000 rounds; never cleaning it, straight shooting, never malfunctioned at all
. They decided to go with the M9 Baretta anyway because of costs issues.
Wade, picked up a Henry lever action .22 Ducks Unlimited edition today that I bought on-line last week. Barry

reefkprz

my favorite rifle is the savage arms .270 short mag with accu trigger. not really a brush gun but one hell of a distance shooter.

breineach1

Holy crap Hott ! I've hunted boar in orange groves down here with .30-.30s- those buggers were fierce then... I couldn't even imagine hunting them with just knives & dogs! :scared: Shogun if you're looking to hunt boar to eat (imo there is no other reason to hunt) seriously consider contacting some grove owners to see if they have hunting parties go out on their land. The boars shake the oranges down from the trees & dig up the ground, so usually owners are happy to let you hunt their land, and there's nothing better than orange-fed pork! Sorry, I wish I still had my father's contacts down in Venice to give you, but I lost touch ages ago.

shogun323

That's cool to hear about the Glock testing. It's a great weapon. Congrats on your new .22 Barry!!
Breineach1, you are right on the money. My brother is in Bartow, Polk County, which has Citrus farming all over. When he goes hunting with his buddy and the dogs, they catch them alive to sell.
Thanks Everyone!!
~Wade