Hypocritical *****

kdfrosty

I buy frozen mysis from ***** a block away from my house. Occassionally I will browse the SW fish. Notice the sign on the corner of this 20g tank.

chipmaker

What do they check to see if they are still alive and swimming or dead or half dead and floaters or stopping up the pump/filter intake? I don;t know about other *****'s but the one here has a dedicated associate that works just the fish department and related accessories.......No in the dog food, or hamspter or snakes etc section, just FW/SW fish. This just was instituted about 2 weeks ago, as she worked all over but was mainly responsible for the SW fish......and the FW fish was pityfull...Now they all look super, and other *****'s should sit up and take notice to how it should be done.......

hot883

Originally Posted by KDFrosty
I buy frozen mysis from ***** a block away from my house. Occassionally I will browse the SW fish. Notice the sign on the corner of this 20g tank.
Classic board room meeting solution to internet complaining.
< goes to the sign, not your post KD. Ha!

kdfrosty

Originally Posted by hot883
Classic board room meeting solution to internet complaining.
< goes to the sign, not your post KD. Ha!
I'm not sure how to interpret this, but the sign just shows how stupid ***** is, IMO. If you maintain your tanks properly there shouldn't be any reason to have to check on the livestock hourly. Also if you kept livestock in the proper sized aquarium you might not have this problem. Simply looking at the tanks hourly is no soltuion.
This ***** has someone dedicated to the aquaria section of the store. They have had this person there for a while. He's even admitted to me that *****'s not willing to put forth the $$ to maintain livestock in an LFS properly.

mudplayerx

I know most chain pet stores are pretty bad in how they treat their marine livestock KDFrosty, but I have to admit that no pet store I have been to ever keeps all of the fish in appropriately-sized tanks. Almost all of them are cramped and way overstocked... all the more reason to have a QT tank

murph

"They're every need". Looks like that ones need is a proper burial.
I notice that petcos live stock is slightly less across the board than the mom and pop LFS in my area, but there dry goods are at least a couple more dollars per item. I believe they think they can take there loses with the livestock if that customer also buys his dry goods in the store.
A pretty screwed up business practice if you asked me.

dougai

Originally Posted by pitbull01
That is a great pic! Send that in to their headquarters...
good idea

kdfrosty

Yes, the livestock prices at ***** astonish me. This Powder Blue (pictured) was priced at $29. In this condition that's a horrible price, but if healthy that's a steal. They also had a nice Majestic Angel (In a 20g) that they wanted $55 for. I just could not believe it.
Mudplayerx-
I should take pictures of the LFS that I normally frequent. The quality, size, and everything about the tanks there is quite impressive. You are right, though. Most LFS' skimp on their tanks b/c they (hopefully) don't plan on keeping livestock long.

lradlbeck

I should take pics of the ***** here - it would make most peoples stomach turn - most of the time you can't even SEE the fish there is so much algae and crud in the tank - I refuse to go in there.
I use pets plus for everything - they are the best pet store I have found (not that I have all that many options unless I drive to Philadelphia)
Liz

unleashed

looks like someone skipped that tank. poor tang
this is what happens when you run a company with no clue.
years ago I almost went to work for ***** as a dog groomer.I stress almost! its hard to believe the quality of knowlage this company hires and trains.I went trhough 4 interveiws with this company on the last one as I was talking to the grooming dept manager,I watched her work.as we talked I started thinking OMG ,then said to her im sorry I cant work here,she asked why and I was completely honest with her.I replied I cannot work for a company or under a manager that has no clue what they are doing in this business.and walked out.I havent shopped in a ***** since.

bigb

The kids that work at Deathco probably just work there because they found a job. Then they get thrown into working the fish department. This is versus someone that actively goes to a LFS for a job because they are both interested in the hobby and want a job.

bill f

They obviously just checked the fish at 1:00 pm. Frosty took the picture at 1:02 pm. So the sign could be right, they still had 58 minutes to check on him.

unleashed

Originally Posted by Bill F
They obviously just checked the fish at 1:00 pm. Frosty took the picture at 1:02 pm. So the sign could be right, they still had 58 minutes to check on him.
think about that for one minute when a fresh water fish dies it floats instantly then sinks later .sw fish sink when they die then maybe float later if you have ever had a fish die in your sw tanks you will know they lie on the bottom of the tank for along time before you even notice its dead.

debjgardin

They appear to be a company that promotes caring and having the knowledge, but whether it be fish, birds, dogs, cats or anything else, their knowledge is sorely lacking. Last time I went in there I was looking to see what they carried in protein skimmers and filters. Yep, they had filters, but when the associate was questioned whether they carried protein skimmers he said yes and showed me what he claimed was a skimmer. Unfortunately it turned out to be an airstone setup, nothing more. When I explained to him that that wasn't it and what a protein skimmer was, he told me that no such thing existed. By the way, this particular associate was not a kid fresh out of high school, but atleast in his fourties. Needless to say, it's not a place to go for supplies. Parrot food which I regularly buy is almost $3.00 a bag more there than the same bag elsewhere, ditto for dog and cat food and quite truthfully what I priced out in fish food there versus what I paid elsewhere, ***** was extremely high. Best not to fool with them or if you do, do so with minor items. Plus if you do buy things there, are they fresh or items that have been there forever? If I understand right, even basic testing kits get old with time and should be replaced cause they will give false readings if too old. I don't think it's smart to rely on them to ensure all items are fresh. :thinking:

kdfrosty

Note: that PB Tang was still alive.
Mysis is $1 more at ***** than the LFS that I normally frequent. I don't mind paying $1 more to save 20 minutes of driving. I know, it's horrible to support ***** in any way, but I like the conveinience.

harial

just chiming in on the fact that ***** sucks
One of my friends is the saltwater person at my local ***** and he has told me not to EVER buy fish from there because their policy is to keep their specific gravity at 1.016
in order to cut down on disease. they also do not allow for hospital tanks and they want any sick fish to be treated in the tank it got sick in which is bad becasue ALL of the saltwater tanks are connected to the same sump and the same water runs though every tank before getting to the sump. And they have this nasty habit of topping off with TAP water when the manager does not want to put forth the cash to pay for more salt mix.
blah

J

jdragunas

ok, everyone on here talks about ***** in such a bad way, but i have an amazing *****. The fish are always really healthy. The staff is mostly really knowledgable (as i have tested them many times), except for when the freswater guy tries to help me with saltwater stuff.... "yeah, that's a mushroom", when clearly it's a leather coral... I believe that *****'s are as nice and well kept as the staff. As someone touched on earlier, ***** doesn't pay that well, so to find someone with knowledge who will work for $7/hour isn't that easy. I believe you shouldn't shunn all Petcos because of a few bad employees, or stores... If that were the case, i'd neve eat pizza hut again, never shop at walmart, Kmart, Kohls, dillards, kaufmann's, sears... you get the point...

aredmon

I agree with the last one. I can only find petcos around here untill just recently and in one store when I was getting ready to start up the girl that helped me said here are test kits and salt. Had no clue what else I would need to start my aquarium. Now the other one the girl that helped me could answer any question at any time like a fish dictionary. It just depents on what jokers they hire on how well there stock is.