I am sooo sad

teresaq

not really sure except I have been batteling white cloudy water in the 20 gal they are in. I have been doing 5 to 10 gal a day every other day waterchanges. Ammonia has been zero, but still white and cloudy.
We lost power for a few hours this morning but I put a battery pump on there when I woke up. Not really sure how long the power was out except, hubby went to work around 5 this morning and we had power, I got up at 6:30. They were fine a few hrs ago. I have been waiting for more water to mix so I could so another water change today.
I looked in the tank and they were both laying on the bottom. tried to get them in some differant water, but they were gone.

T

meowzer

I am soooo sooooo sorry....I had no idea you even had a problem with them. And here you have been helping me out....sorry T....

rdub62

don't sea horses spray that white stringy mucus for protection?
is that why your water was white cloudy?

teresaq

no they dont.
I was told on another forum that it could be hetrotroph bacteria or excess calcium. I had purgen running and carbon along with lots of water changes.
T
I am sooo sadddd. I miss them already.
Now I dont even want to finish setting up this

t316

Was it completely cycled before you put them in? Seems like you just recently moved them (when you had the crack in the other tank).

teresaq

I used cycled filters and water changes every day, every second day.
I think it was a combo of the bacteria and the power being out. I dont know.
They have been there for about 10 days.

S

shrimpy brains

Wow, Teresa, I don't even know what to say. I am soo very sorry for your loss.

rhondad

Theresa, I am soo sorry you lost them.
I take a couple of days off of working on your display. Then finish the display add a few nonaggressive fish and when your ready to try again your tank will also be ready. But don't give up on seahorses Theresa.

I am soooo sorry to hear that
, this reminds me of the time when I went through 3 Powder Blues before I had the one i have now, is sucks loseing you most prized specimens, sorry T

novahobbies

Teresa, I'm so, so sorry to hear you lost them!! I know just how much that sucks.....and I'm really ashamed I didn't get to give you my condolances earlier. I hope you're still thinking of at least finishing up the tank. Give it some time, I know how very dedicated you are to these animals, and I know you'll want to get a couple more eventually. Best to have the display ready for them when you get that urge again! In the meantime, set up the tank, have a cardinal or a firefish in there after the cycle just to keep the tank alive, and when you're ready to try again, the tank will be too.

teresaq

Thanks Nova, I just talked to Tom also, I am setting up the tank, see my other post. I have it almost done, and My scooter is waiting to go home. I shouldnt have much of a cycle since everything is from the old tank.
I think I have my next pair lined up and am hoping to have the tank ready by the end of the month. I miss them to much not to get another pair.
T

sueandherzoo

Oh how awful and sad - I'm so sorry! I still approach my seahorse tank cautiously every time I go near it because I have such a fear of finding one or all of them sick or dying. They're all fine and the tank is healthy but we all know how quickly something can go bad and you just never know what you're going to find when you look in the tanks. I guess we all must be somewhat paranoid about it - it can't be just me. The first thing I do is a quick headcount to make sure everyone is present and accounted for and THEN I can relax and enjoy them.
You're one of the best caregivers on here - you KNOW it was through no fault of yours that they're gone. Your next horses will be very lucky to have you as their keeper.
Sue

triggerfre

Sorry for your loss.What was your ph.When ph gets super super low it will turn your tank white.I had this happen to one of my tanks once.I added amquil and it bottomed my ph out.The tank turned completley white and killed everything.