I am starting my new project. Corner Reef.

m.rogers

ryan
looking great i see you are from maryland are you a member of cmas (a local club) and what lfs do you go to.
mike

rkm

I've been to your LFS House of Tropicals. I also go to Roozens off of Allen Town Road. I get some good deals now. It takes a while. But everything is paying off. I did look into the local club. I signed a long time ago, but forgot my user name. I tried to get my name sent to my email but it wouldn't let me. I will have to contact someone I guess.

m.rogers

i have been to roozens a little bet of a ride i don't go to house of tropicals. the best lfs i think is Exotic Aquatics if you have not been there you have to stop by.
mike

zippy

Hey, everything looks great, but one question. How are you going to feed the fishies and make water changes? Is part of the canopy removable? Good luck, the tank looks beautiful.

rkm

I still have to cut out the door openings that I framed in to the top and bottom stand.

zippy

Sorry, I didn't look closely enough at the other photo. I can see where you will make the cutouts now. Guess I should have paid a little more attention. How big is the tank by measurement, not gallons? You really have me thinking now...

rkm

From the back corner it comes out a total of 36 in. To the outside edge. Then it kicks out toward the front. It is 37 in. from the back corner to the front of the tank. The 2 sides (viewable) are 16 in. across. The very front measures 28 in. wide. I hope I didn't confuse you with this. I saw a 92 gal bow at the LFS and it looked like it would fit in my tank. I am guessing I have about 100 gal tank. I forgot my geometry to figure out the sq ft.

black99l

that is a great looking tank!! I am looking to put in something like that in my next house (i live in a apt. now). maybe you would be willing to give me your email, i have some questions ($$, where did you buy it, stuff like that)
tdc3187@aol
T

rkm

I have been working at the tank all this weeked on my spare time. I havent put up the last chair molding on the top of the tank yet. I want to see where my water line will be. My doors wont be in until the first of november.
I built a base for my LR with year old base rock. Then I added my aragonite sand. I thought I had CC. Turns out I started with CC then didn't like it and then changed to Aragonite sand. I bought more from LFS to add if needed. I put 30 gal of origonal water back in the tank. I went to Wal-Mart and bought 60 more gal. Man do I need a RODI. I am now at the point where I have to stop filling the tank until tomorrow. I need to get some fittings from the hardware store to finish my drain and return lines. Well here is the latest pic.

zippy

I now envy another reefer, my man. Great looking tank/stand/canopy. How about a shot with the lights on? Just cover up the top opening so we can see the light shine on down into the tank. Congrats!

rkm

I will have that soon enough. The water is very cloudy at the moment. I still have to cut up my JBJ and make it fit the top. So no lights at the moment. I am still going to get a MH for the center.

bdhough

A 400 halide i hope :) that and a couple of pc's should look very nice.
You need a pic of the ladder you're going to use too :)

rkm

Just looking to see what brand and type of bulb to get for the MH. I posted another thread asking this question.

bdhough

Good point. If you can swing it go 2 400's or 2 250's and dual 96 pcs' would work. You're going to have shadows with one halide. If you don't mind that.....

rkm

See thats why I ask. I could fit 2 MH toward the center. I need to find a pair of good ones that are just the reflector and the ceramic end.
I am going to make an aluminum frame to mount my PC's and MH's on. This frame will be suspended by cable. So when I need to get in the tank all I have to do is open the door and pull my cable and hook it to a hook and my lights will be outa the way. It'll be a pulley system.

bdhough

Nice....
Good luck rigging that :) You'll get minimal shadow from the brace. Good thing its clear. So long as you don't get water on the top of the brace you should have minimal problems with salt creep as well, but im not sure. The thing the brace is truly going to effect is the penetration of the light down to the bottom. BTW i've seen individual ballasts for about 130-150. What will kill you are the 90 dollar bulbs :)

rkm

I am looking into venting. I haven't quite figured out what I will do yet. I have 3 ideas at the moment.
1.Put a vent on one side about the height of my MH and one on the other side. On the insides I would put a fan on each vent. One pulling air and the other pushing air.
2.I could put the 2 vents on the sides like said above and put a fan in the cabinet and blow air into the celing. I have 12 in. of drop celing. I am not sure about this one. I think it might add too much moisture in my celing.
3. Put vents in the side. knock out a hole in the back wall (in the cabinet) install some duct work, and an outside vent type of thing. Like one used for dryers. A fan would be on the hole pulling air out of the cabinet.
one of the walls the tank is on is open to the outside. Meaning it is a basement wall but I have access if I wanted to add a vent.

eric4usa

I would not reccomend a vent to the outside mainly because you have cold winters, if you were in california, maybe.
The vents into the room will work fine.
Up into the ceiling is a bad idea.
Place the intake/exhaust fans wherever so they look nice, then have a cheap clip on fan like sitting on the top of the tank blowing over the water and on the bulbs.

rkm

Thanks for the replys. I think I may take your advise eric. I think SWF.COM is still having problems with their servers. I didn't get my email stating I had a response to my thread.
Here is another update. I got my filter running. It cleared the water. I have 2 of my returns plumbed. The 2 in the back will allow flow across the whole back of the LR. I still have one more to plumb on the left side in the frunt. The front 2 are just going to give me my current. I need much more LR. I think I need to get a good bit of base rock then add my figi over it all.
here you go hope ya like it.