I can't create threads, post to threads. I can't do anything under a different username!!!!

S

smartorl

I'm not sure but alot of forums have rules against multiple accounts and software to detect them. I was a member of a transportation forum and set up a second screen name for the business, for the promotion and their software flagged it. I assume the email addresses being the same. Largely, I was told that is to avoid spammers and trolls.

scottnlisa

Up to yesterday, I could use the old and new acct with no problems. The usernames are linked to different email accts. I wish an administrator would answer my queastion.

S

smartorl

Actually I have never known a forum to allow a user to have multiple screen names. On some, it's a banning offense if you do without contacting an admin as to why you would want one. I was just curious.

scottnlisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartorl http:///forum/thread/380526/i-can-t-create-threads-post-to-threads-i-can-t-do-anything-under-a-different-username#post_3312043
Actually I have never known a forum to allow a user to have multiple screen names. On some, it's a banning offense if you do without contacting an admin as to why you would want one. I was just curious.
No problem. But like I said, it worked up till a couple days ago. If you couldn't have multi usernames, then I would think you couldn't use them from the beginning. This leads me to believe it is an issue with the site.

scottnlisa

Hello Administrators...... Where are you? Can somebody answer my question please. It is okay if you don't know, just type "I don't know". At least that way I get some kind of answer. Who else can I direct this question to?

S

smartorl

Perhaps they have more pressing issues maintaining the site?

Multiple screen names for one person get confusing, there are two of you currently posting on more than one ID currently.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
The best reason I can think of for blocking new duplicate accts is to prevent trolls from returning once banned. Or prevent spammers from doing the same.

The new site does have a program that works to address trolling, spamming, etc., so that may be what you are experiencing.

scottnlisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth http:///forum/thread/380526/i-can-t-create-threads-post-to-threads-i-can-t-do-anything-under-a-different-username#post_3312246
The best reason I can think of for blocking new duplicate accts is to prevent trolls from returning once banned. Or prevent spammers from doing the same.

The new site does have a program that works to address trolling, spamming, etc., so that may be what you are experiencing.
But why would my new username work for like 2 weeks then a couple days ago it start having brain farts. Doesn't make sense. If they don't want multi usernames per IP address then they would block it from the very beginning not after 2 weeks. Still waiting for an administrator's answer

S

smartorl

WHY do you need multiples? Seriously, it probably slipped through for a while. You have posted under both, which is confusing to those following a thread who don't realize you are two names posting alternately on single topic.

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartorl http:///forum/thread/380526/i-can-t-create-threads-post-to-threads-i-can-t-do-anything-under-a-different-username#post_3312319
WHY do you need multiples? Seriously, it probably slipped through for a while. You have posted under both, which is confusing to those following a thread who don't realize you are two names posting alternately on single topic.
YOU KNOW.....there are some people on here that are husband and wife (g/f & b/f) that have the same internet and have different user names

So why can't he......he changed his name to one that suited him.....and from the beginning he made that knowledge public

S

smartorl

I asked an honest, reasonable question he didn't answer it, he could have said he preferred the new name, he just wouldn't answer my question as I was curious as well why someone would need two names, he could have simply said he prefered the new one or that it was for his partner. I would have respected that, I would have also respected him telling me to mind my own business, instead it seemed evasive and made me wonder the intentions.

It is confusing to have one thread with two screen names both being the op posting, it's hard to keep it straight, especially when you kind of have an idea what systems a person has and when they flip back and forth between names and you aren't aware, it does take you aback until you put 2 and 2 together.

Out of five forums I frequent, from this one, to transportation, to tattoos, all have rules against multiple screen names, just saying. I haven't seem anything here that states their stance so I don't know if that's the problem or not.

S

smartorl

Oh no Meowzer, I feel better knowing that there is a reason for it. I understand totally, I used smartorl when I signed up for my first forum because Smart Transport was one of my company names and my email was smartorl, I used the same screen name through several forums because I would never be able to remember multiples! Do you know how many times I have been called out by people thinking I chose the name because I think I want to be looked at as somehow "smarter" or those that don't take me seriously thinking I am trying to be a smart@ss. However, by having that screen name through multiple forums, stalkers can find out alot of info, my ex was able to locate where I was based on info I had posted that I never thought twice about. I have thought about changing but like I said before it's too hard to remember all my stuff now!

242bats

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///forum/thread/380526/i-can-t-create-threads-post-to-threads-i-can-t-do-anything-under-a-different-username#post_3312400
Sorry Smartorl....I didn't mean to butt in....I just knew the answer ;)

plus I was bored

no i thank it is ok to butt in from time to time
there is post on here from today about a "saltwater wido" i would say that thay have two user names
my wife was thanking of getting a user name just to play and mess with me. we have three laptops and one p/c in the house and she has two p/c in here office all with different ip adds. can we not do this

meowzer

LOL....I have so many different names, I have to keep a cheat sheet

except on the forums I am Meowzer
I am on this one 99.9%, but am I member (I think) of 2 or 3 others.....haha...I can not remember