I.D. please

fishrule

I know the orange one looks like a sponge, but what are these? If they are Hydroids, do I want them in my tank?

joshradio

If they are foraminiferans, they should do no harm... they're simply single cell protists that die and turn into calcium carbonate... a snack for some fish!

But I don't think they are... does this ever retract into a type of "hole" and is it sometimes bigger?

fishrule

Originally Posted by JoshRadio
If they are foraminiferans, they should do no harm... they're simply single cell protists that die and turn into calcium carbonate... a snack for some fish!

But I don't think they are... does this ever retract into a type of "hole" and is it sometimes bigger?
Possibly... :thinking: There were two yesterday next to each other, both the same size. Today there is only one and it is much larger than it was before. Also, it appears to have a tube at its base...

joshradio

more than likely it's just a worm that hiked into your tank on some LR... it's not the nicest thing to see swayin in your tank, but they aren't bad.... what you see is a net made up of mucus that filter feeds for the worm...
I had some too, they can be taken care of by applying to some super glue to the hole opening... somtimes they have more than one hole.... some crustaceans will take care of them for you, but generally those crabs aren't reef safe

T

tizzo

The picture that Bang ID'ed as foraminiferans...are foraminiferans, I Promise you. As for the orange thing, I have no idea...
(Bottum pic on right...)
Sorry Tizz to many other links in that site ot other places unacceptable.