I did something bad....

banshee

I went to my LFS and bought something I know nothing about. It was just too damn cool to pass up. I figured someone is going to buy it....why not me. It is called a basket starfish. It didn't really look like a starfish at the store....it looked like a bunch of tube worms, or something, that was stuck in the corner of the tank. But then he turned off the aquarium lights and this thing started moving all around the tank. It was just so freaky looking. Anyway, I have attached a couple of pics and was wondering if anyone had any info on these. I know.....shame on me.....

jbstuart

Truly impressive looking. Everyone seems pretty dim on its survival. You might save those pictures to remember it.
Jarod

every so often we as humans makes these types of boo boo's take many pictures and one day you will be able to say I had one of those.

banshee

That LFS sucks....pisses me off. Anyway I attached another couple of pics so you guys see what I was talking about (how cool it looks). Sucks that it is going to die. I guess I will add this to my list of stuff not to buy. Plus, I will be going back to the LFS to tell the guy what the deal is with these things. Maybe he won't order any more. He seems like a good guy.
:mad: :mad: :mad:

N

newreefers

Try to get in touch with reybread, I think he has one of these and his is doing well. He may be able to give you some tips.

sammystingray

They take intensive work to get them to live long term, not impossible, but just look at the size, and then realize the amount of food it needs to take in via the water column. 99% die. Waste of money probably......probably. You aren't going to give it a shrimp and plump it up.....very tough to keep, and if the LFS said different, give them ^%$#. If you see anything strange looking....for sure ask here first. Most weird things are weird because they aren't kept often, and there's usually a reason for it. Good luck with it though.

zibnata

How much did you pay for it ? Just curious. I know I have wasted a lot of $$$$ on things that cant survive.

try and get in touch with a member here called "sterling" This person maintained a basket star for a lot longer than the typical lifespan. There are a lot of posts on this BB about it. Try there.
Best of luck.

banshee

Ok...Rye, Sterling, Ophiura....you guys there? Could use some input from the experts.
It was $15 and the guy at the LFS said, "Oh yeah, it's hardy. It's a filter feeder so it will just take what it needs from the water." :mad:
What makes me mad is that he usually doesn't do stuff like that. Guess I can't blame him for being ignorant, like me. :notsure:

clarkiiboi

IMO, I would do a search for "sterling", narrowing it down to the reef forumn and also post a new thread towards him labled basket star or such (though I havent seen him lately, but he may still be learking). Like sammy said its not impossible, and we all make mistakes (admitted or not). But with mistakes we learn (individually or as members here), no way will I bash you for buying it---If I didnt see other posts about this months ago and saw one at my LFS, I too may have been in the same situation. They take alot of hard work, dedication, late night feedings (not a filter feeder). Do some research to get info on eating habits. I agree that it most likely wont live to its expectancy in the wild, but as long as you do what you can from this point, you did what you could to the best of your ability. :)