I dropped a Utility Blade in my 210, Help Please

reefkprz

Originally Posted by BexleyFish
Ya thats because its copper... also i dont think the blade will rust because it it completely submerged. Rust is Iron reacting to Oxygen the oxygen in the tank wont react cause its dissolved. I believe this to be true but its been a year since chemistry... either way i would not worry about it
there is dissolved oxygen in the water the blade will most definatly rust. have you ever seen the rusty cannons they pull up from sunken ships? metal will absolutly rust submerged.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by efishnsea
Do you think that is necessary????? I mean we add iron to our tanks???
the Iron we add to supplement is chelated, the razor will release non-chelated Iron wich is toxic but like I mentioned previously a metal detoxifier should alleviate anyworries.
oh and thanks for the reply about those zoas, I think I made out pretty good on that swap with that guy them.

puffer32

My cousin found one in his 75 gal once. He didn't know how it even got in there, and it was rusted really bad. Didn't seem to hurt anything either.

efishnsea

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
the Iron we add to supplement is chelated, the razor will release non-chelated Iron wich is toxic but like I mentioned previously a metal detoxifier should alleviate anyworries.
oh and thanks for the reply about those zoas, I think I made out pretty good on that swap with that guy them.
Got any pics of the zoas?????

efishnsea

Originally Posted by puffer32
My cousin found one in his 75 gal once. He didn't know how it even got in there, and it was rusted really bad. Didn't seem to hurt anything either.
Thanks puffer32 that is good to know!!!!!

reefkprz

Got any pics of the zoas?????
actually I do, but, my computer died and I'm running an older system with windows 98 for now and the photo software that came with my new camera wont run on 98, its cool pix conect utility version 1.0, I put in the disk and it just says "picture project will not run on this operating system."

H

huskychasrs

Originally Posted by puffer32
How old are his kids?

pettyhoe

GET IT OUT!!!!! I work at the LFS cleaning the town's tanks and moving them. We have had multiple problems with people dropping metal in there tanks. YOU WILL HAVE PROBLEMS. It doesnt matter how small it is, I've seen a nail destroy a 200 reef with 100 sump. If it takes a while for you to get it out, run phosgaurd to keep phosphates under control. But the metal will also leech things you don't test for in your water which are detrimental to your invertibrates and fish. Good luck, the magnet seems to be the best way short of just taking it all out and finding it, which is something I have dont many of times.

groupergenius

Uhhh I'm confused
....bangguy said no worries
and Pettyhow now has me worried
?
Dude, chill. I'll come down Friday and "rescue" the blue zoo colony.

lion_crazz

I agree with Bang Guy in thinking that you will not have any issues, either. On top of that, working at an LFS, myself, I have found several razor blades dropped in tanks and it never caused any problems.

alix2.0

a few months ago when i was taking a fank apat to upgrade, i found a razor that i had used for scrapin algea of the walls... well it looked good as new but must have been in there for months (lately ive been using a gift card instead) i think it has to be out in the air for it to rust??? id say try the magnet thing and if that doesnt work just leave it there instead of ripping your tank apart.

kiharaconn

I agree with tryin to remove it. If you have snails or crabs they stand a chance of being injured too. And you also have a chance of being injured if you have no idea where it is. Use a long handled mirror to look around on the back side of the rocks to see if you can locate it. I would be afraid that months from now you will reach down in there to adjust something and slice your hand open on a rusty razor. If you can see it with the mirror then you at least have an idea if the magnet will work or not. And if not you will know how much, if any of the tank has to be broken down.

efishnsea

OMG I got that sucker!!!!!! Took the advise of some members and tied a magnent to some dental floss and bingo. It took some time but much better than breaking down that section of the tank.
Check out the pics, on a portion of the blade there was .5mm thick of rust slime. It was in there for 2 weeks.
Thanks everyone for you input and help.

efishnsea

rappa

I dropped one in my 50 and lost it. I never recovered it and I don't think that contributed to my nitrate problem but that is my only issue.

efishnsea

Originally Posted by Rappa
I dropped one in my 50 and lost it. I never recovered it and I don't think that contributed to my nitrate problem but that is my only issue.

Uhh, Im so glad I found it I can only guess what that thing would do to my Iron or heavy metal levels six months down the road????? I use a very basic filtration system "no carbon"a pretty natural self suficient reef system.....

efishnsea

Originally Posted by nietzsche
wow thats pretty cool that you found it, i thought youd never find it lol
me to, wow was I happy