I got a fish....what the heck is it?

jayeden

i got this fish today, from a friens, for free, what type is it and how much does it usually cost???

1journeyman

Yellow Tang. Member of the Surgeonfish family
*Needs at least 6 foot tank for swimming room (imho)
*Needs established tank as it is a grazer.

sfoister

I love tangs. :)
You can find them on this site, check under "fish".
I've seen them from $20 to $50 depending where you're looking.

lion_crazz

That fish is a yellow tang. It usually costs anywhere from $20-$40.
It should be fed a variety of foods, mainly algae and vegetable based. I would recommend picking up some freeze-dried seaweed/nori, and then 3 or 4 different frozen foods such as mysis shrimp, prawn, clam, kelp, krill, etc. The best way to go is to get a few "formula" foods, which combine a bunch of ingriedients to make one mix food. Ocean Nutrition makes formula foods such as Formula One, Two, Prime Reef, etc. These are best because they give the fish a very wide variety.
More live rock is also certainly recommended because yellow tangs are a grazing fish. They pick at the algae on the rocks and use the live rock for protection. Furthermore, live rock helps to maintain a more stable and healthy enviroment for your animals because it acts as a natural filter.
I would also highly recommend that you slow down on the fish additions. You stated in another thread that the tank was just set-up last week and you already have four fish in the tank already. You are soon headed for disaster if you do not stop adding fish. Following the rule of adding one fish every 3 to 4 weeks from here on out would benefit your tank greatly and monitor your water levels very closely because you may see a spike in your ammonia/nitrite/nitrates very soon and this could be very bad for your whole tank.
Good luck, and ask any and all questions you may have!

ophiura

If I recall, you will have a pretty nice tank for it (as shown in picture), the only real issue is that it will do much better in an established tank.

triga22

I think you should research b4 you go ahead and do stuff. If you make these decisions when your tank is older it could ruin your tank. Not trying to be mean but I dont want you to make the mistakes I made..

lion_crazz

Also, just as a warning: Flaming or derogative posts will be deleted and can result in your own banning from the forums. This message board is a place to learn more yourself and teach newer hobbyists the knowledge that you have already gained. No one learns anything when someone else acts in a negative and rude manner.
Thank you! :happyfish

reefkprz

here is some info on yellow tangs
The Yellow Tang, comes from the Hawaiian islands and is one of the better marine fishes for a beginner with a fully cycled marine aquarium. This marine fish is commonly carried at most saltwater pet shops and is relatively inexpensive. They have a strikingly yellow color with white scalpel like blades at the base of their tail fin. They can be fairly hardy in a saltwater aquarium that has completely cycled. If you plan on keeping Yellow Tangs, they spend much of their time grazing for algae so have plenty of live rock for them to graze on. They will also feed on dried algae or seaweed attached to a lettuce clip. This tang (and tangs in general) requires highly oxygenated water so make sure you have plenty of water surface agitation.
Use caution when netting a Yellow Tang because of the blades at the base of thier tail fin. The blades can easily get hooked into the net. If this happens, gently move the net back and forth in the aquarium until the tang is released.
Scientific Name: Zebrasoma flavescens
Common Names: Yellow Tang, Lemon Surgeonfish
Yellow Tang Care Level: Easy to Moderate, good for saltwater beginners
Life span: 5 - 7 years, possibly longer
Size: 7 - 8 inches (20 cm)
pH: 8 - 8.4
Temperature: 75°F - 80°F (24°C - 27°C)
Specific Gravity: 1.020 - 1.026
Origin / Habitat: Hawaii
Temperament / Behavior: It's best to keep only one tang in your aquarium because they can become territorial with other tangs. They will usually play nicely with others (except tangs) in a community tank setup.
Breeding / Mating / Reproduction: It's not very common for them to breed in captivity
Tank Size: 75 gallon minimum
Compatible Tank Mates: Avoid keeping them in an aquarium with other Tangs.
Reef Tank Compatible?: This tang will do well in a marine reef tank setup. They can help perform a role in grazing some of the algae that may grow in a reef tank.
Diet / Fish Food: Herbivore, have plenty of live rock and be prepared to give them dried seaweed or dried algae using a lettuce clip. They will also accept flake, pellet foods and live foods.
Tank Region: All over
Gender: Difficult to determine, but the female may be larger than males of the same age.

beatlesfan

Keep in mind that i am not flaming here. I am a begginer as well so i dont have to much of a right to judge you but.... I think you should do more research on fish because in every-single book i have read on saltwater fish. It clearly pictures and labels it. Again i am not flaming you but i find it hard to think that someone that has properly done their research doesn't know what aYellow Tang is. Again i am not flaming you.

jmick

I'm sorry, how could someone be in the hobby and not know a yellow tang? This has to be a joke or you have never picked up a book or done any real research. My 2 year old knows what a yellow tang is :thinking:

jayeden

no problem at all....i have read a few books too...BUT...i have seen many pictures of yellow tangs, yet its always different and i was unsure seeing as how i had never seen one live right...i assumed it was yellow tang, but did not know that the fins on it do go up and down, and the specifics of the tangs...catch my drift...

jayeden

Originally Posted by Jmick
I'm sorry, how could someone be in the hobby and not know a yellow tang? This has to be a joke or you have never picked up a book or done any real research. My 2 year old knows what a yellow tang is :thinking:
thanks man, il just go drown myself in my tank now...and your 2 year old can come identify a dead body cause he seems so incredibly smart...

lion_crazz

Jayden, there are some users here who think they are productive and helpful by slamming other hobbyists.
Don't worry, you did nothing wrong by asking a question.

triga22

Everyone I think he knows what it is.. Stop flaming.. Hes new.. We all have made mistakes good lord