i got robbed

E

eric b 125

some jag-off broke into my car today. they got me real good. $700 touch-screen head unit/dvd player, 15" JL sub woofer, iPod, iPhone. they tore the leather, broke door panels, broke my cupholders, etc.. i dont even know what to say, i'm so livid right now. i know for the most part my insurance will cover the vehicle, but someone is walking around right now pawning off a really nice a/v system that i can't replace and i doubt is covered by insurance... wont find out until tuesday when the claims agent calls me.

mantisman51

Happened to me 2 weeks ago, but all that got taken was my medication and some CD's. I always leave my truck unlocked. If they want whats in there, they'd just break a window anyway. Thankfully nothing was broken.

t316

Originally Posted by mantisman51
http:///forum/post/3157306
Happened to me 2 weeks ago, but all that got taken was my medication and some CD's. I always leave my truck unlocked. If they want whats in there, they'd just break a window anyway. Thankfully nothing was broken.
Agree with your reasoning, but this is not always the case. There is evidence that there are two types of car break-in thieves....some will break a window/door, so as you say...what the heck, but there are alot out there that just walk around parking lots pulling door handles (no alarm, etc.). I would change my M.O. if I were you.

crypt keeper

most insurance companies will not insure an aftermarket system. My silverado burned to the ground after I allowed my friend to install my radio. I had all my reciepts. They said nope.

reefraff

IME they will at least pay for the cost of a reasonable replacement of what came with the car. You should be able to get something. Read your policy. The one I have now covers the cost of any permanently attached equipment.

You have to get a RIDER on ur policy to cover after market or custom items...a shot in the dark but u can maybe go thru your home owners policy for that stuff

bionicarm

Originally Posted by Eric B 125
http:///forum/post/3157298
some jag-off broke into my car today. they got me real good. $700 touch-screen head unit/dvd player, 15" JL sub woofer, iPod, iPhone. they tore the leather, broke door panels, broke my cupholders, etc.. i dont even know what to say, i'm so livid right now. i know for the most part my insurance will cover the vehicle, but someone is walking around right now pawning off a really nice a/v system that i can't replace and i doubt is covered by insurance... wont find out until tuesday when the claims agent calls me.
Do you own a home? Check with your homeowners insurance policy. It will cover items like the Ipod and Iphone, depending on what your deductible is.

S

smartorl

Check your homeowners or renters policy! That's how we got our claim covered!

texasmetal

I feel your pain. My car window was busted out in the parking lot at my job, during daylight a few months ago. They took my stereo and ripped my dash apart to get it out.
Sad part is, it was a fairly cheap stereo, the jerk who stole it probably didn't get $30 for it, and it cost me over $200 to fix the window and buy another really cheap stereo. Not enough to pay the deductible, but enough to knock a chunk off my fun-time money.

kjr_trig

I feel your pain, I had about a thousand dollar system stolen years ago when I was living in an apartment in north Phoenix. My car was either broken into or vandalized 3 times in the 6 months I was there.

fishtaco

Don't forget that sometimes they like to come back and see if they can snatch your new set-up too. One of the reasons I moved from southern Cali was the fact my VW Squareback was basically stripped when I was forced one night to use my assigned alley parking do to lack of spots on the street and my mistaken assumption that one night would not hurt. This was a heavily customized car and they got everything, stereo, steering wheel, side mirrors, wheels and tires, twin weber carbs, seats, speakers, gear shift nob. I only had liability and sadly called a tow company and made arrangements to have it scrapped because it would have cost more than the value of the car to replace everything.
Fishtaco

flower

Originally Posted by Eric B 125
http:///forum/post/3157298

Sorry to hear...but no, they won't cover anything not originally on the car when you bought it.
I lived in Chicago for years. It doesn't pay to have anything mobile. Thieves destroy the car removing the stuff. Whatever you do, don't replace it right away, the thief will be glad to hit you again, now that they know who has the good stuff.
My brother in law got ripped off 4Xs before he gave up replacing stuff.

zman1

Sorry to hear that - it's a personal violation of one’s own security of property. It was a burglary and not a robbery... I know that distinction doesn't provide any comfort, but I would choose burglary over robbery any day, if I had to take one...

t316

Originally Posted by zman1
http:///forum/post/3158009
Sorry to hear that - it's a personal violation of one’s own security of property. It was a burglary and not a robbery... I know that distinction doesn't provide any comfort, but I would choose burglary over robbery any day, if I had to take one...
Sometimes it's hard to tell the two apart...Years ago, I leave for work. Wife is at home with a sick kiddo. She calls me at work and says..."there's a black guy with bolt cutters breaking into our barn. I watched him walk around it a few times, thinking he just pulled over to find a place to pee, but now he's cutting the bolt on your barn, and going inside."
I'm like....what the &^%$&$
Why are you on the phone with ME ???? You had two options, both of which are probably gone by now....1) CALL 911, or my preference...2) you know where my gun is, put a 30-06 bullet thru the freakin' barn door just as he is about to cut the bolt.