I Hate Damsels

bigyb

I just had to write this to let every one know. I cycled my tank with two blue damsels thinking it would be ok. :happyfish Last time i had a tank i did the same thing and the damsels did fine when i added more fish. :happyfish BUT this time when i added two "nemo" clown fish the damsels started to attack them
. Me and my wife said hell no and tryed to get the damsels out. IT TOOK ALMOST TWO HOURS TO GET THEM OUT :mad: :mad: at first i didn't want to take any of my live rock out but after about an hour i finaly took out about 75% of my rock. Then it took another hour to try to get them out because of all the sand i kick up. :mad:
But everyone should be happy to know that i got the two damsels out and took them back to the store and the NEMOs are going great now .
P.S. this is a warning to all the peaple need to cycle there tank DON'T DO IT WITH DAMSELS THEY WILL ATTACK OTHER FISH!!!!!

oceanists

Originally Posted by bigyb
I just had to write this to let every one know. I cycled my tank with two blue damsels thinking it would be ok. :happyfish Last time i had a tank i did the same thing and the damsels did fine when i added more fish. :happyfish BUT this time when i added two "nemo" clown fish the damsels started to attack them
. Me and my wife said hell no and tryed to get the damsels out. IT TOOK ALMOST TWO HOURS TO GET THEM OUT :mad: :mad: at first i didn't want to take any of my live rock out but after about an hour i finaly took out about 75% of my rock. Then it took another hour to try to get them out because of all the sand i kick up. :mad:
But everyone should be happy to know that i got the two damsels out and took them back to the store and the NEMOs are going great now .
P.S. this is a warning to all the peaple need to cycle there tank DON'T DO IT WITH DAMSELS THEY WILL ATTACK OTHER FISH!!!!!

Shouldnt cycle your tank with live fish , and Perculas are also damsels

stingrayjs

Very true, very true, the are damsels. But I would think the more important part would be as mentoned not to cycle with fish. If I was that fish I would be pissed off to, and attack anything that would be put in the tank!

fordguy67

yeah i cycled my 20 gallon with four damsels. when i first got them, they seemed cool, but then when i put other fish in, they started to raise hell. then i put corals in and they would never open so i called a fish store and they said they wouldnt even give me 25 cents for one. they said they use them as feeder fish, so i flushed them. NEVER USE A DAMSEL TO CYCLE!!! use a raw shrimp. i heard that works really well. i just finished off my basement and very soon im going to get a large tank and use some shrimp so ill post how well it works!

lt34

I just got rid of my Damsels as the lfs told me to use them for cycling. After having to take all 110 pounds of lr out of the tank, I finally caught them all (8) and took them back where they gave me a 20 dollar store credit. Use shrimp and not Damsels!!

kstater

I had the same problem with my yellow tailed damsel. Took two hours and then finally i just took all the rock out. Sucked big time.

tangs123

two hours,
try 8 hours, i spent one whole day to get 2 damsels and a six line wrasse out who were eating my corals

but i am happy now

S

surfinusa

damsels arent that bad i had a few they were very peacful and fun to watch

mrdc

I didn't like my damsels either but I finally got rid of one and now I am working on the other. LFS give Damsels such a bad rep. If we didn't cycle with them (following LFS advice), we wouldn't be discussing them as much. Live and learn I guess but if I ever do an aggressive tank, damsels will be on my stocking list because there are several that I really like and they are cheap. I just didn't know they could be so mean (in my early saltwwater stage) and they aren't good for my current stock.

oceanists

Originally Posted by mrdc
I didn't like my damsels either but I finally got rid of one and now I am working on the other. LFS give Damsels such a bad rep. If we didn't cycle with them (following LFS advice), we wouldn't be discussing them as much. Live and learn I guess but if I ever do an aggressive tank, damsels will be on my stocking list because there are several that I really like and they are cheap. I just didn't know they could be so mean (in my early saltwwater stage) and they aren't good for my current stock.

I like my blue devil , but my black and white stripe is always picking on my Mated pair of Sebae's and my maroon clown (YES! its amazing they get along i know) I hope my Carpet anemone snags the Black and white one

zsqure

I have two Blue Devils that I believe have killed 5 of my green chromies, the little b@#tards!!! They have got to go.

reef diver

Hey oceanists, sorry to burst ur bubble, but damsels (like clowns)can host in an anemone (fyi clowns are damsels too! So you will have to remove it.

O

oreo12

I have 4 in a 29 gal that is there tank I like them and since I have 2 other tanks it just seemed like the fish to have in the 29 they all get along and don't bother the corals.

bigyb

Originally Posted by Reef Diver
Hey oceanists, sorry to burst ur bubble, but damsels (like clowns)can host in an anemone (fyi clowns are damsels too! So you will have to remove it.
thats' true but my clowns dont pick on and try to eat my other fish

oceanists

Originally Posted by Reef Diver

Sorry to burst YOUR bubble but with carpet anemones the fish has to bond with the anemone and store its toxins for at least 2 weeks, otherwise if the fish dives right in it will stick on contact and the anemone will close, it isnt like a BTA. My Maroon clown has problems staying on the carpet..... I think you need to do some more research.

All in all it was a joke. This is the second time today you've taking things out of context. :notsure:
Good Job Buddy

oceanists

thats' true but my clowns dont pick on and try to eat my other fish
dont bother with that guy. He has a problem trying to prove people wrong. I think the Mods are going to start doing some banning pretty soon.
I made the same mistake as you except i cycled with PERCULAS
yeah big mistake but i learned the hard way.
Good luck with your tank

bigyb

Originally Posted by Oceanists
dont bother with that guy. He has a problem trying to prove people wrong. I think the Mods are going to start doing some banning pretty soon.
I made the same mistake as you except i cycled with PERCULAS
yeah big mistake but i learned the hard way.
Good luck with your tank
thank you for your suport if theres one thing i hate more then damsels its ppl like that

oceanists

thank you for your suport if theres one thing i hate more then damsels its ppl like that

totally agree with you