I haven't done a water change in at least 5 years, and only have a Fluval 404 canister filter

jc74

When I got into this hobby I heard how high-maintenance it was. Constant water changes. Water tests. Sumps. Specialized foods. I basically got the idea that you had to keep up with this daily as if it was so delicate that if you sneezed on the tank, it would die.
I've had marine fish for the past 15 years, being extremely careful during most of it. But during the last 5 years at least, I sort of lost interest and just let things go.
And, what I've noticed is that when I leave things alone, things thrive. When I was constantly changing the water and doing this and that, I had a lot of deaths and changes in the tank. When I let it go, to just be a natural ecosystem, everything has remained alive and healthy. I've had the same percula clowns for at least 6 years and they're HUGE, fat, bright and healthy. My turbo snails are also giants with sea fans and algea growing on their shells. It's just like the ocean.
In light of this, I definitely think too much maintenance in a tank harmful. Just let it go. I talked to a former local marine fish monger about his a few years ago, and he said the same thing. He just let it go and everything thrived. As long as you have proper water flow and lots of rock to house beneficial bacteria, you basically have a mini-ocean. There's no need to constantly change it in order to assure its health.

meowzer

What do you feed the tank? What size tank? What else besides 2 clowns and turbos are in it? Any corals?
Do you have a protein skimmer?
How about a picture?

jerth6932

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///forum/thread/386531/i-haven-t-done-a-water-change-in-at-least-5-years-and-only-have-a-fluval-404-canister-filter#post_3395805
What do you feed the tank? +1 What size tank? +1 What else besides 2 clowns and turbos are in it? +1 Any corals? +1
Do you have a protein skimmer? +1
How about a picture? +1
How have you maintained your lighing? Also have you changed out the media on the canister filter and done services on it?
Seeings believing.... Also..... I just like pictures
!

mproctor4

My dad was the same way. 180 gallon, 20+ years, FOWLR (some of his base rock was lava rock out of his landscaping--lol). He had 2 cannister filters and several power heads. He did a water change once a year "whether it needs it or not". He would change the filter media in one cannister filter with each water change (each cannister got changed every other year). His lights were shop lights out of the garage. Now, the lighting SUCKED but the fish were always very healthy and his tank was beautiful. He had many fish for well over 10 years, they died when the power went out for a week. He always said, the more you mess with it, the more problems you have. He didn't own a test kit (I didn't even know there was such a thing till a few years ago), he went with gut instinct, which worked really well for him. He would run carbon sometimes, but that was about it. People always told him "there is no way you can have a tank like that", but he sure did. I learned alot from him, but I am middle of the road. He thinks I mess with my tank too much now. I don't obsess with maintence and I do water changes because I have corals, although I keep alot of things I shouldn't be able to because my nitrates are too high. Too each their own..........I do get annoyed though hearing things are "impossible" in this hobby.
I would love to see pictures of your tank.

flower

I also want to see some pictures, just because I like pictures, LOL...I believe you. I have a friend who hasn't done a water change in 26 years. However his story is simular to yours. In the beginning he always kept up with everything. There was a time I let a canister filter go for a year...everything was fine, but I had my tank 2 years by then.
Beginners please listen.......I personally think that new tanks take more care. Everything is still trying to balance out and is very unstable. As a tank matures, a natural balance occures and the tank doesn't need as much care. So long as you don't overload on fish and have plenty of water flow.
If you don't do water changes you have to use suppliments, because the corals draw out all the trace elements. The only coral you can keep would be soft corals that actually like a little nitrate, below 20. Elegance, Xenia, mushrooms and Kenya tree would be very happy in such a tank.
Fish only tanks (with live rock) are a breeze, they don't really care about nitrates as long as they stay under 40 for the inverts sake, and as long as you have a good CUC to take care of algae, life is simple and good.
A tank full of SPS coral is high maintenance and won't tolerate nitrates. So not all tanks are created equal. What might work for one person may not work for you.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner http:///forum/thread/386531/i-haven-t-done-a-water-change-in-at-least-5-years-and-only-have-a-fluval-404-canister-filter#post_3403747
waiting for pics also
LOL...He said everything was alive and healthy...Maybe the tank is not so good looking

Wayner....I know you and that little light bulb. A new established tank (under 2 years) is very different from one that was up and running 10 years before it was allowed to just sit. The first coulple of years is a critical time in a fish tank, many, many changes are taking place and you have to nurture it to keep it alive and healthy.

tap tap tap tap waiting for the pics... tap tap tap tap tap...
You know, I agree with you that once a tank matures - then let it be. I had a BEAUTIFUL 55g saltwater tank with a 6" deep sandbed that I hadn't done a water change on in two years and the corals were THRIVING! so I know what you are talking about when you just say let things go.
I still want to see pics.

2quills

He can't take pictures just yet, too busy cleaning bubble algae the size of softballs out of the tank.

geoj

When I got into this hobby I heard how high-maintenance it was. Constant water changes. Water tests. Sumps. Specialized foods. I basically got the idea that you had to keep up with this daily as if it was so delicate that if you sneezed on the tank, it would die.

I've had marine fish for the past 15 years, being extremely careful during most of it. But during the last 5 years at least, I sort of lost interest and just let things go.

And, what I've noticed is that when I leave things alone, things thrive. When I was constantly changing the water and doing this and that, I had a lot of deaths and changes in the tank. When I let it go, to just be a natural ecosystem, everything has remained alive and healthy. I've had the same percula clowns for at least 6 years and they're HUGE, fat, bright and healthy. My turbo snails are also giants with sea fans and algea growing on their shells. It's just like the ocean.

In light of this, I definitely think too much maintenance in a tank harmful. Just let it go. I talked to a former local marine fish monger about his a few years ago, and he said the same thing. He just let it go and everything thrived. As long as you have proper water flow and lots of rock to house beneficial bacteria, you basically have a mini-ocean. There's no need to constantly change it in order to assure its health.
Congratulations! :t^:
What can you keep using your method? :%%:

mr. limpid

Ok don't believe you, you posted on 7/6 it is now 8/11 no pictures to back you up. I've been doing water changes in my tanks for the last 27 years of keeping fish. Everything that is alive in a tank, from algae to crustacean's to fish uses up some type of element and if these are not replaced the creature will be lacking what it needs to survive and then stops surviving. Adding trace elements are fine but without testing for all elements you may be adding to much of one element. Water changes is similar but you are removing water which is lacking elements add replacing with correct amount of elements, still may be overload of some elements but at least a volume of water was removed. Just my 2 cents.

michaeltx

there are many ways to do things I personally after the tank matures and is doing well I do not do water changes. I only do changes about once a year when I had my tank up. I had no problems with it at all. in fact it flourished.
I will post a pic of my tank that had not had a water change in over a year. I moved and the tank inhabitants were sold off.
needless to say I do not do water changes often and the results are in my pics the coraline went crazy and so did the corals the coraline even started to cover the sand so some methods work for some and other methods work for someone else so dont get to hard on the way people say they keep their tanks. I have seen so many things in this hobby change over the years its unreal and I usually go against the popular ways to do it.
on a side not this tank above NEVER had a skimmer attached to it either.I know know that some of you would give me flak about it but results are better seen that dissed about not being correct and algae filled tanks because of no water changes.
I think I got a little side tracked her but O well LOL the meds I am on make me kinda ramble sometimes.
Mike

saltfisher

I've also heard just letting it run works. Just top the water off as it evaporates and feed. This situation sounds like there really isn't much of a load on the tank...2 clowns, so it's probably easy to do this.

michaeltx

LOL not yet you dont.
I was using these as examples that sometimes the trend does not go with what works,. I will however NEVER advise against doing water changes though. there are benefits to doing them. but once the tank is established you can tell after your seasoned that something needs to be done. I will always try to back up what I say with either pics or links to threads to support what I say if need be and I will say that I believe that is a must when make comments and posts that are questionable or against the norm.
Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpid http:///forum/thread/386531/i-haven-t-done-a-water-change-in-at-least-5-years-and-only-have-a-fluval-404-canister-filter#post_3408204
I will eat my words your tank looks great.

mr. limpid

LOL should of looked at the top of the thread to see who started it, thought they backing up there words with pictures.
Hi Flower how are your horses doing?