I heard Squidd is THE MAN

chuckcac

Originally Posted by earlybird
I noticed the return for MD700 you have it at 0.5". My MD700 has 0.75" if I'm not mistaken.
BTW- Your diagram looks great. What program did you use?

Thanks earlybird....i got the intake - output specs online. i'll have to check again... :thinking: Yep - it says 1/2" outlet fitting...
I'll have to reach out to the manuf. to find out if this is correct... (good catch)

I use AutoCAD 2005 for the drawings - You like?

chuckcac

Originally Posted by saltn00b
fancy pants, i used ms Paint for mine while at work LOL
:hilarious
i used the AutoCAD while at work... (I'm supposed to be doing design sketches for a new house)

belieive it or not... i have no idea how to use MS paint

quads4_lif

I dont see the need for the second bubble trap inbetween the fuge and return. Here is my setup, and I dont have any problems with bubbles plus you have more room for your return chamber or fuge. Also you want your feed from your DT to enter your sump at or just below the water level to help reduce bubbles.

rudezuk

I think you did a great job on your first drawing you posted!
I did almost the same exact thing. I also am currently using a Mag5 on my 125 with 1" pipe. It is a great pump, and is more than enough pump for your sump. You figure you only want 3-5 times the turn over rate in your sump, and the mag 5 with about 4' of head will put you about 300gph, that is more than enough!
Also, I put the small wall next to the fuge part of the sump. I made the wall 6" tall instead of my 8" wall for the fuge itself and I drilled a few 1/4" holes in it. This provides some flow across the sand, but keeps the sand from getting stirred up.
Basically I did the same thing as yours, but with some different equipment and mine is larger, but it is working awesome!!

chuckcac

Thanks for the input everybody! I really am psyched about this DIY... now i just have to get to it...! i hope to start this weekend - i will post pics of my progress
i should start one of those diaries - and post pics of my DIY stand as well-
the stand is about 50% done (framing only so far)
Thanks All-
Keep the comments coming - the more i learn - the better my project will be... :jumping: :jumping: :jumping:

dragonzim

Let me know if you're gonna do it this weekend. I have to work Sat night but should be around the rest of the weekend...

chuckcac

sweet - it all depends on if i can get ahold of a new blade & the rest of the stuff for under $25
if not ill be finishing the stand & spray-painting the back of the 55
i spray-painted the QT last weekend... its marine blue at the top and it fades to black at the bottom - came ou awesome... i'm pretty proud of myself
i just hope all of my DIY's come out that good

chuckcac

ok - after reading & considering everyone's great advice... Here is the plan...
i'm still open to thoughts, comments & suggestions...

I want to be positive this is going to work like a charm... :happyfish

saltn00b

you have water dropping from a 5" height almost on top of your pump. dont say i didnt warn you about the microbubbles!

rudezuk

Having your water drain from your overflow to below your water line will create not only a bunch of bubbles, but noise as well. It is better to have the overflow enter the sump water at an angle to the water, right at the water line.
Also, In my opinion, the Mag 7 is too much flow for your sump and tank combo. The Mag 5 would be ideal for you!

chuckcac

OK Saltn00b - I'll take your word on it... i'll put the baffles back

OK rudezuk - i'll change back to the Mag-5 (cheaper anyway) and angle the pipes at the waterline...

Thanks again guys

i hope this works... :jumping:

dskrezyna

rudezuk said:
Having your water drain from your overflow to below your water line will create not only a bunch of bubbles, but noise as well. It is better to have the overflow enter the sump water at an angle to the water, right at the water line.
QUOTE]
What exactly do you mean by "at an angle to the water"? Are you suggesting he have the supply line empty water onto the water line and not into the water? I would agree that wouldn't create as many bubbles but I'd imagine it being pretty noisy.

dskrezyna

Originally Posted by rudezuk
Also, In my opinion, the Mag 7 is too much flow for your sump and tank combo. The Mag 5 would be ideal for you!

What exactly do you mean by "at an angle to the water"? Are you suggesting he have the supply line empty water onto the water line and not into the water? I would agree that wouldn't create as many bubbles but I'd imagine it being pretty noisy.

chuckcac

Originally Posted by dskrezyna
hey there dskrezyna - thanks for the compliment... i think he means to terminate the 1" supply with a 45degree or 90 degree fitting - i think you can see it in the photos...
i use AutoCAD for the drawings - i use it everyday, so something like that takes less than 3 min. to make

chadb1 - learning is definatly the key
- i'm a new-b, so this is my first time doing anything like this... these guys have been miracle workers as far as helping me out with this project...
check out Saltn00b's post - its LOADED with great info & pics to help get started... Also the archives has a great bunch of plumbing 101 threads - "invaluable"

chuckcac

Ok,
this should do it...
i think this satisfies everyones input, and suggestions...
the tile to the thread was "i heard Squidd is the man" but i never heard from Squidd...?
thanks everyone -
:cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

rudezuk

Originally Posted by dskrezyna

Actually what I did, was the last couple of feet of my drains to my sump i used 1" ID clear tubing. This enters the sump at about a 45* angle at the water line. It does not make a splashing noise, nor does it create more bubbles.
if you enter the sump water below the water line, you actually build up pressure until a bubble get big enough to get pushed out and it makes a lot of noise.
And the clear flexible tubing makes it easy to clean the sump when you need to :D