I hope I can swim.... (First venture into Saltwater 29g build)

luvmyreef

Your water source sounds like it might be the problem, and you feed flakes. Another option is to buy distilled water. Also, you can collect the waste water from your ro/di and use it for plants, etc. :)

S

siptang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Wolf http:///t/390512/i-hope-i-can-swim-first-venture-into-saltwater-29g-build/260#post_3496456
Dont have test's for phosphates. I am running Phos Zorb in my filter. I feed a mix of frozen and flake. I had a 520 pointed right at the sand and all it did was dig a hole. The area around it still had the cyno. Im using filtered water not RODI. I cant justify wasting the amount of water a RODI unit does.
If you are concerned about the waste water, run extra di and you should be cutting the waste water by tremendous amount.
Filtered water will still give you cyano and gha. Trust me, I have tried them all. It's probably the best investment I made and trust me. Is it worth the troubles that you are having?
Also more flow my friend.

acrylic51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siptang http:///t/390512/i-hope-i-can-swim-first-venture-into-saltwater-29g-build/280#post_3496464
If you are concerned about the waste water, run extra di and you should be cutting the waste water by tremendous amount.
Filtered water will still give you cyano and gha. Trust me, I have tried them all. It's probably the best investment I made and trust me. Is it worth the troubles that you are having?
Also more flow my friend.
Running an extra DI will do nothing for your waste amount....If your concerned about waste amount taking the waste and running it through another membrane is the ticket.

S

siptang

Ahhh my mistake. Yes membrane. Honestly all the waste water doesn't cost much of anything.

snakeblitz33

Even though the "waste water" is considered "dirty" it's much cleaner than your tap water... lol What have I done in the past? Well, I have ran my waste water from my RO Unit through a dual DI unit back to my pure water bin. It does exhaust the DI resins pretty quickly,... and you do have to watch your TDS more often - but that's a pretty good way to keep your water bill down.
Besides,... I run an RO Unit that I run for not only my tanks but also for cooking, cleaning and drinking... and my water bill ... including trash and sewer is about $15 a month.
Also, you don't really have any coralline in your tank. What you are battling is cyanobacteria... which has already been established.
You've been in good hands so far since you have asked me for help. I haven't been ignoring you by any means. This is the first time that I have gotten on an actual computer in the last couple of days. Sorry bud for the late reply.

S

siptang

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/390512/i-hope-i-can-swim-first-venture-into-saltwater-29g-build/280#post_3496532
Even though the "waste water" is considered "dirty" it's much cleaner than your tap water... lol What have I done in the past? Well, I have ran my waste water from my RO Unit through a dual DI unit back to my pure water bin. It does exhaust the DI resins pretty quickly,... and you do have to watch your TDS more often - but that's a pretty good way to keep your water bill down.
Besides,... I run an RO Unit that I run for not only my tanks but also for cooking, cleaning and drinking... and my water bill ... including trash and sewer is about $15 a month.
Also, you don't really have any coralline in your tank. What you are battling is cyanobacteria... which has already been established.
You've been in good hands so far since you have asked me for help. I haven't been ignoring you by any means. This is the first time that I have gotten on an actual computer in the last couple of days. Sorry bud for the late reply.
Wow! You blew my mind Seth. I'm setting that up asap. Ordering extra canister... where is the cheapest where is the cheapest hmm....

acrylic51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siptang http:///t/390512/i-hope-i-can-swim-first-venture-into-saltwater-29g-build/280#post_3496613
Wow! You blew my mind Seth. I'm setting that up asap. Ordering extra canister... where is the cheapest where is the cheapest hmm....
You guys are wasting your money.....Running the waste water back through I don't care if it's 1 or 2 DI canisters in cost inefficient.....Look at the cost of DI resin.....now think about what the TDS reading is of the waste water and think about how fast it will deplete the DI resin.......If your concerned about utilizing waste water and consumption the addition of running a piggyback membrane is the cost effective way.....Not DI canisters!!!!!

acrylic51

Sorry to be a spoiler.....but think about what you pay for a DI cartridge.....Maybe you refill your own.....but still the cost of replenishing DI resin vs the cost of another pressure vessel and membrane.....Not even the questionable choice IMO.......

acrylic51

Besides.....Unless your doing constant mad water changes, or setting up huge systems, the most water most make up at any given time; the waste water is minuscule to me......

snakeblitz33

Well, i didnt say it was a great way, but if your water is relatively clean to begin with, all of the water has to go through a micron filter or two and a carbon block filter or two before it even goes into your ro membrane. Once that water is rejected, running it through a couple di resins doesnt exhaust it as quickly as if it were straight tap water.
I dont think its a waste of time and money. Especially when you can buy refillable di resins for relatively cheap.

acrylic51

Still missing the point.....Running it back through another membrane is conserving more than through the additional DI's......and cost effective.....The DI is going to remove more impurities, and you'll minimize waste.

acrylic51

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/390512/i-hope-i-can-swim-first-venture-into-saltwater-29g-build/280#post_3496638
Well, i didnt say it was a great way, but if your water is relatively clean to begin with, all of the water has to go through a micron filter or two and a carbon block filter or two before it even goes into your ro membrane. Once that water is rejected, running it through a couple di resins doesnt exhaust it as quickly as if it were straight tap water.
I dont think its a waste of time and money. Especially when you can buy refillable di resins for relatively cheap.
The micron filter removes larger particulates so it doesn't foul/clog the membrane.....The carbon is also in place to protect the membrane from fouling.....Seth your logic of running it through DI isn't logical.....I have a friend here who's having issues with his RO and is basically running straight through the DI and I know his input water is roughly 140 and it exhaust the DI rather quickly.......

acrylic51

My input source water is roughly 100-110 depending on circumstances and my unit isn't fully functional....Meaning I am setup to run dual DI's, and right now without any DI resin in either canister my output water is 3........This is even on an old 5 yr old membrane.....And again with a watersaver piggyback setup that water that comes off would be run back through an additional membrane and then through the DI's......This in effect will not eliminate all waste, but will greatly get you less and better water production as well......There's other tricks/tips to save waste water and still maximize "good product" water......

Holy guacamole batman!!!
Here's the problem guys and gals. My life is moving in a direction that I'm not even sure I can keep the salt tank. I've tried to sell the inhabitants without any luck. I contacted a LFS and they offered to give me store credit.. however what they are offering is equivelent to taking it with no vasaline.
I just cant justfiy buying more equipment for the tank. Far as I can tell.. .the critters are healthy... it's just not the prettiest tank in the world thanks to the algae.

luvmyreef

That's a shame. But let me say then, just buy distilled water for your water changes for now. I think it would be better than filtered water. You can get it cheap at walmart. That should help with your cyano problem, if your still looking at fixing it. ;)

snakeblitz33

Bah. Make a more powerful lighting fixture out of some cfls and some house flashing and load the tank with caulerpa and red grape algae. It would be like a planted saltwater tank. Low maintenance and might could even make you some money by sellin off the excess algae. Heck, might could raise snails too. Lol. If its not a reef, throw in a couple iron nails and your good to go for a few years of macro production. Water changes you can do once every year or two. If your not concerned about how fast you can grow something or making your tank pretty with coralline and can live with a little cyano then use dechlor tap. Your fish will still live and be happy ,....