I just bought another sailboat!!!

tx reef

I have a kind of crappy sailboat that I bought from a friend for real cheap. Another friend of mine has been trying to sell his sailboat for a while, but there is not a very big market for sailboats in my area. He just brought the price down to $3,000 so I jumped on it. I took some pics tonight but it was dark already and some of them are a little dim.
It has a 2004 Honda 8hp 4 stroke and a brand new main sail and jib. It also has 4 different sized jibs and a spare main sail.
The boat is a 1972 26' Columbia Mark IV.

poniegirl

TX, that's an awesome boat! And what a great price...
What did you end up naming the first boat?

tx reef

The guy bought the outboard brand new for $2,400 two years ago and paid $1,250 for the main sail one year ago.
I felt kind of bad when he was signing over the title to me. He had a real sad look on his face. It almost made me want to give him more for the boat......almost :hilarious. The original sale price for the boat was $12,000, then dropped to $9,000, then to $7,500, and then to $3,000. I looked online and this same boat is being sold up north for $15,000.
Anyone in Texas looking for a sailboat?
I have a 22' Laguna with outboard and trailer for $1,500.

molamola

Anyone in Texas looking for a sailboat?
Have you ever considered donating your used sailboat to the Sea Scouts? Or, perhaps becoming an adult leader for a Sea Scout Ship in your area? Ship 150 meets in Morgan, Texas
http://www.seascout.org/ships/findsh...eentered=76501
Sorry for the sales pitch
I'm a former Houston Sea Scout, and our Ship was/is always looking for enthusiastic adult sailors to teach seamanship and sailing to the youth. It's also a great excuse to get your boat(s) out on the weekends and you can make the kids crew for you

I like the new boat, by the way. Happy sailing! :happyfish

windmill

In my field of work, i've learned to despise sailboats. Every manufacturer has to do the same part a little different. Beneteau's are notorious pains in the asses, you usually have to wait like 6-8 weeks for almost any part to come from France. Anyways, looks like you found yourself a damn good deal. If you ever bring it up to Texoma, and it breaks down or something catastrophic happens, you might run into me. Yeah, people love seeing me.

tx reef

Originally Posted by MolaMola
Have you ever considered donating your used sailboat to the Sea Scouts? Or, perhaps becoming an adult leader for a Sea Scout Ship in your area? Ship 150 meets in Morgan, Texas
http://www.seascout.org/ships/findsh...eentered=76501
Sorry for the sales pitch
I'm a former Houston Sea Scout, and our Ship was/is always looking for enthusiastic adult sailors to teach seamanship and sailing to the youth. It's also a great excuse to get your boat(s) out on the weekends and you can make the kids crew for you

I like the new boat, by the way. Happy sailing! :happyfish

I think I know that guy! Thanks for the link.
Edit....I know a Merle Belcher, not Mike Belcher. :hilarious

molamola

We had a Mr. Belcher in the Sam Houston Area Council. I don't think his name was Mike though. We watched him capsize a 25' sloop crammed full of Girl Scouts because he tacked and then realized the boat had a swing keel that had not been put down:scared:

tx reef

Originally Posted by MolaMola
We had a Mr. Belcher in the Sam Houston Area Council. I don't think his name was Mike though. We watched him capsize a 25' sloop crammed full of Girl Scouts because he tacked and then realized the boat had a swing keel that had not been put down:scared:

Oh. The website said Michael Belcher.

K

kimc

TX Reef said:
The guy bought the outboard brand new for $2,400 two years ago and paid $1,250 for the main sail one year ago.
I felt kind of bad when he was signing over the title to me. He had a real sad look on his face. It almost made me want to give him more for the boat......almost :hilarious. The original sale price for the boat was $12,000, then dropped to $9,000, then to $7,500, and then to $3,000. I looked online and this same boat is being sold up north for $15,000.
You stole that boat!!!! What a beauti!!! Nothin like being on the ocean with the wind in you sails!!! Happy sailing!!

tx reef

Maybe I can sail on the ocean one day.
For now it is just Stillhouse Hollow Lake in Belton, Texas.

arandacole

Originally Posted by TX Reef
Should I name my new boat the same as my old one, or come up with a new name?
I think it should have it's own name.
Nice boat!
Love,
A