i just found out i can have mushroom corals...

flower

Hi, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Yes, the Kenya needs more light then the mushroom coral, so the Kenya goes higher, the mushroom should be on the bottom of the tank.

trigger40

Hi, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Yes, the Kenya needs more light then the mushroom coral, so the Kenya goes higher, the mushroom should be on the bottom of the tank.
by bottom do you mean on the sand? i just moved the kenya tree to the top and the mushroom is on a rock that is close to the bottom. thanks for the replie.

trigger40

i also have this star fish that is really weird looking it has two big legs and four small ones. is he good or bad?

flower

i also have this star fish that is really weird looking it has two big legs and four small ones. is he good or bad?
Hi,

On a rock near the bottom is fine for the mushroom... Starfish come in all kinds of shapes and sizes, without a size, color and basically a picture, I can't really say if it's good or bad for a reef. If it's the tiny white ones that crop up like slugs on the live rock (You will see them on the glass sometimes), those are not a worry, they have weird legs that are odd lengths

trigger40

i would start out with one frag and see how it goes. if every thing works out you can actualy do a lot more than just shrooms.

aduvall

I'm going to wait till the end of spring. We are having our first baby in the next few weeks, and I sense that is gonna take some time away from the tank!

I also need to invest in some lights.

flower

Actually it depends on your lighting. The mushrooms should be on the bottom of the tank if you have strong lights, Kenya don't require as much light as some corals, but more then mushrooms....should you swap them??? I would.

trigger40

flower is right kenya trees up high, shrooms low. altough some shrooms do need as much light as a kenya tree. if i put my purple shroom any lower than my kenya tree it moves into a funnel shape telling me it needs more light.

pegasus

My actidonis mushrooms do best with lower light levels, while my rhodactis mushrooms seem to prefer an ever-so-slightly stronger light. Simply put... Actidonis, lower-to-mid tank. Rhodactis, mid-to-upper tank.