I know I have lost my mind!

lesleybird

Just got a 190 gallon 6ft. tank and I am going to try to put three large angels in there. A Majestic 4 inch, a Goldflake 6 inch and a Scribbled 5 1/4 inch. I know a lot of people think it cannot work but a lot of people overseas in Japan do it with successfully. These are three of the more mild mannered angels. I have a book on angelfish that says it can be done if the species are chosen carefully and placed in the correct order with plenty of caves and rock work. I will let you all know how it goes. Plan for these to be the only large fish in the tank with only a few smaller fish later on. I have lots of curred live rock and live sand and will put the goldflake unknown --- and the majestic male (I think), in at the same time next week, and the scribbled female (not totally sure of the ---) in the tank a week later when I am to add more curred live rock. Anyone have any thoughts on this except to tell me I am crazy? Lesley

1journeyman

Be sure to have 2 additional tanks set up and ready if you have to split them up...
As with any "experiment", my primary concern is the ethics behind it. What does the "experiment" propose to accomplish? Will the hobby be advanced by it? Is the potential gain from the "experiment" worth the potential loss of live?

lesleybird

Originally Posted by efishnsea
I'll be curious to see what happens
, good luck
!!!!

Efishnsea did you know your birth year in your profile is listed as 1905? So you're 102 right? Not 102? Lesley

lesleybird

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
Be sure to have 2 additional tanks set up and ready if you have to split them up...
As with any "experiment", my primary concern is the ethics behind it. What does the "experiment" propose to accomplish? Will the hobby be advanced by it? Is the potential gain from the "experiment" worth the potential loss of live?
I don't really call it an experiment as there are examples of others keeping other large angels together in large tanks successfully. I have kept multiple pygmy angels together in the past.

fishyg

I wish you all the luck, I think it is wonderful what you are doing. It is not an
"experiment" , it is a fish tank for enjoyment. Good Luck!

nicetry

The scribbled angel is far from a peaceful fish. They can be very aggressive when they put some size on. The goldflake is a fairly passive fish but not the hardiest. Personally. I'd leave out the scribbled and go with the other two. Multiple large angels in a tank can be done. My take on many Asian tanks is that they are grossly overstocked. While gallonage and filtration come in to play, there is no accounting for the stress involved in keeping species that would normally avoid each other if they had the room.

saltfish123

good luck make sure to monitor them b/c there not exactly cheap.......i to have seen videos of (asian) fish tanks with multiple angels just not sure how healthy????? anyway good luck.

zman1

Originally Posted by Lesleybird
Efishnsea did you know your birth year in your profile is listed as 1905? So you're 102 right? Not 102? Lesley
It's not in Dog years either -

1journeyman

The issue with seeing videos of tanks and trying to replicate them is that you don't know what the actual success rate is.
Above all, this is a hobby that uses live "pets". A failed experiment equates to dead animals all too often.

S

sudc

Originally Posted by FishyG
I wish you all the luck, I think it is wonderful what you are doing. It is not an
"experiment" , it is a fish tank for enjoyment. Good Luck!
True but HOPEFULLY, a bunch of beautiful fish don't have to die for his/her "enjoyment". As journeyman said, which apparently ALOT of people forget, these are living animals we are dealing with and SOME thought should go to THEIR well-being not just OUR "enjoyment".
From what i understand from other boards, a LARGE percentage of those stuffed Japanese tanks you see on youtube and such have a VERY high mortality rate and are constantly being restocked

lesleybird

I was not going to stock at the levels of the tanks in Japan. I may cancel my order for the scribbled angel and just put the majestic and the goldflake together in the 180. I think the two would get along fine together. Lesley

efishnsea

OMG that is not right
it is 07/22/1968
Thanks I'll go and update it.

srfisher17

I don't really call it an experiment as there are examples of others keeping other large angels together in large tanks successfully. I have kept multiple pygmy angels together in the past.
I really enjoy my hobby; but we are still talking about FISH. I ate orange roughy for dinner, delicious fish.

S

sudc

Originally Posted by srfisher17
I really enjoy my hobby; but we are still talking about FISH. I ate orange roughy for dinner, delicious fish.
People eat dogs in other countries. Should i stuff ten in a little cage and see what happens because i think it looks cute?
I guess we are different.
Food is one thing but I don't think fish(or any other animal) should be killed for our viewing pleasure

srfisher17

Originally Posted by SUDC
People eat dogs in other countries. Should i stuff ten in a little cage and see what happens because i think it looks cute?
I guess we are different.
Food is one thing but I don't think fish(or any other animal) should be killed for our viewing pleasure

I wasn't talking about viewing pleasure: I'm talking about telling people what they can and cannot do because there may be some risk.For every fish that even makes it into our homes, who knows how many die in capture,transport, holding, etc..We might not like it; but an awful lot of fish die so we can enjoy our hobby. I don't encourage being stupid or cruel...but lets be realistic about the number of fish lost.

chilwil84

Originally Posted by srfisher17
I wasn't talking about viewing pleasure: I'm talking about telling people what they can and cannot do because there may be some risk.For every fish that even makes it into our homes, who knows how many die in capture,transport, holding, etc..We might not like it; but an awful lot of fish die so we can enjoy our hobby. I don't encourage being stupid or cruel...but lets be realistic about the number of fish lost.

that is why we need to be extra careful with the ones that get here. if everybody took the time to research and take in some 1st hand experience less would have to die in transit due to them living longer in our captivity. many of us know one person who has been successful in keeping some combination of fish that doesnt work for others (i had a lunar in my reef until it went into a skimmer overflow box and sucked into a pump, the one in my fowlr would decimate my reef) but many many for who have failed and most people dont feel it is worth the risk

lesleybird

Well.....I cancelled the order for the Scribbled angel that was to come on Thursday. If anyone has a big tank and is looking for a really beautiful scribbled with blue eyes let me know and I will tell you where to find her. Lesley