I must be crazy... How can I find a Mantis Shrimp?

R

red79

I know that when we were looking at the peacock at the store the guy put a crab in there and he went crazy. Allyou could hear was the crab shell cracking. So...I would think it was a smasher. :hilarious

Originally Posted by MantisSo_O
I'm press for any mantis right now and this Lime Green Mantis Shrimp is better then a brown regular mantis but I'm not gonna stop till I find a Peacock Mantis Shrimp and yes thank you! I'll check out the one in Maryland if they can order one for me. so far I looked every where but the one in MD. So thank you much ludachris821
and Erhodejr
!!!! :jumping:
:cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

this is there name for a peacock mantis, type there scientific name into a search engine and it brings up the peacock

nomad

Peacock Mantis (Odontodactylus scyllarus) is a smasher.
Keep all appendages well away from the mantis unless you want stitches.

f1shman

I heard that the smashers can only "break your thumb" not slice it making you have to get stitches.

dskidmore

Originally Posted by F1shMan
I heard that the smashers can only "break your thumb" not slice it making you have to get stitches.
Does it really matter weather your thumb is crushed or cut? It still hurts!

mantisso_o

::: Screams and dies happy on floor!!! ::: :cheer: Its killing again!!! I think that's was is second victim... :yes: ::: snaps out of trance ::: okay I just got my Mantis altho its not a Peacock but its still a Mantis Shrimp. I got the Lime Green Mantis Shrimp its well more blue and brown then lime green tho but its still has bright colors but I'm not stopping my search for the Peacock. I will still have that one!
So yeah the Peacock is a smasher as well... I think that's good then this one I have will teach me a lot about the smashers and I can take care of the Peacock better when I get it! ::: crack crack in background ::: ohhh its killing other one! (hermit) ::: dies on floor happy ::: it can smash crack and cut me all its wants and pain is great!
I think I will start a Log of it so that you guys can hear about it and for future ppl that want it they can share what I went through and stuff.
:yes: :joy: :joy: :joy: :jumping:

mantisso_o

Originally Posted by ludachris821
did you get it from the web sight i showed you, if so that is a peacock, how big is the one you got?

::: looks around the room then at the mantis then at the name on the site ::: Odontodactylus
::: then back on the board ::: Peacock Mantis (Odontodactylus
scyllarus) ::: screams and dies on floor ::: :eek: :eek: :eek: :joy: :cheer: :hilarious OMG I have a PEACOCK MANTIS SHRIMP!!!! okay why is it in most images on the net I see them mostly red and this cute adorable killing thing is mostly blue? So that may be that they vary in coloration of more or less of the red, blue or green... ::: ponders ::: My Mantis which I happily name "Leaf O[h Sh!t] Conner" Any ways its for the most part on top shades of brown hues and its under side is dark to bright blue and green with a hint of bright red on the front appendages and its nearly 3 inches long.
"ludachris821"

mantisso_o

:jumping: I wanted more but I thought it would be a waste of money if it just killed one other in the tank and kinda greedy but yeah and I didn't want to pay for shipping for about 30 bucks no no no. :jumping:

flux

What would be a good minimum size tank for a mantis shrimp? Are there any more aggressive fish that these guys wouldn’t tangle with?

mantisso_o

:jumping: ::: Shrugs ::: Well the first living Peacock Mantis Shrimp I saw was in Herndon, VA it was in a 5g tank it was about full size (5.5) apparently it has been living in that small tank for a few years. To my opinion I would give it more room to roam around then a small tank. Mines on about 3 inches but some point it will be 6 inches and I think a 33g tank is just right for it. it spend its time hunting and hiding but not sure of the behavior of a adult as of yet. :jumping:

dskidmore

Originally Posted by flux
What would be a good minimum size tank for a mantis shrimp? Are there any more aggressive fish that these guys wouldn’t tangle with?
Size is a bigger factor than agression. Mantis shrimp are stealth attackers of fish, they won't be scared off by agression when the fish's back is turned.

marineking

If your still looking I know a place here in maryland that has one. It is about 6 inches and looks like a small lobster. The number to the place is 301 248 2500 and it is in Fort Washington, Md. If this doesn't show email me - mikewarfield@comcast.net for the info. The mantis is very colorful with blue, green, and red. Sorry if Im to late.

pco1988

I found one in my 30gal long. But it was like nothing I've ever seen before... It was called a

[hr]
Mantis and was Purple to Pink in color... I gave him to my lfs which forgot to open the bottle top so he died of lack of air. That little BI__H killed $600 worth of fish and ate none of it. He ate the flack food I feed my fish. I was wondering why fish were dying off when my levels were perfect. Once I found his home I tore apart my tank and got him out. Thank G_D he is dead now. I don't need to see another one in my life. One is enough for me. If anyone wants to find these Purple ones you have to buy Non-Cured Brazilian Live Rock. My lfs keeps it in stock but it is the only one to be reported from the store rock.
:mad:
One place to get ones fromthe Gulf of Mexico is {link violation}

gfk

i forgot how incredibly lame this site is and they block everything. the sight is r e e f c e n t r a l dotcom
they have a whole mantis shrimp section. i now remember why i started going there and leaving this place. bunch of money hungry b1tches that run this site and dont want people to actually get valuable information

fishieness

isnt that what you are doing right now? you are sharing information. If someone wants to know where to get something that badly then tell them to serch the internet. If they want it that bad they will!
i sure know without this site i would know next to nothing. i dont think its fair to call the owners and operators money-hungry when they take the time and pay people to have this site going free of charge.