I need an opinion...

chruckguy

I'll be moving soon, back in with my old roomates. There is no room downstairs for an extra 55 gallon fishtank, and I'd really like to keep it along with all of the fish that I have. Do you guys think that putting a 55 gallon fishtank in an upstairs bedroom is ok? My friend suggested maybe buying a board bigger than the footprint of the stand to help dispurse some of the weight a little more. I also have a 30 gallon tank, not sure where that will go yet... but I could live without it if necessary, not much in it. Could combine the rock and fish if needed.

florida joe

I would think you are talking about 500 hundreds pounds ( guessing on the side of caution) plywood under the stand to disperse the weight and IMO you should be fine

chruckguy

haha, so you guys think it's ok, especially if I put a board underneath of it to help with the weight issue? Thanks, lol.

naclh2o nut

If you could find out which way the floor joist are running that would be good. That way you could put the tank across 4 joist instead of between two. That would make a big difference in weight bearing.

florida joe

Look at it this way if you would not be afraid of 4 people each weighting 150lbs standing together falling from the second floor to the first IMO you are good to go

Originally Posted by NaClH2O Nut
http:///forum/post/2973717
If you could find out which way the floor joist are running that would be good. That way you could put the tank across 4 joist instead of between two. That would make a big difference in weight bearing.
This is very true but if you are only going with a 55 you should be fine. The board won't change the footprint of the stand enough to matter.

flower

Originally Posted by NaClH2O Nut
http:///forum/post/2973717
This sounds like the really the smart way, cause it sure is allot of weight. Some buildings are made better than others. Make sure you have renters insurance too. a leak could cost you plenty, and landlords are very unforgiving.