I Need Help With Designing My Sump/refug.!!!

shyshko08

Can anyone point me in the right direction on whether I should use 3/4" tubing or 1" tubing for the sump. Thanks.

E

eric b 125

what are the dimentions on the return pump chamber? did you take into account the evaporation?

shyshko08

Originally Posted by Eric B 125
http:///forum/post/3188104
what are the dimentions on the return pump chamber? did you take into account the evaporation?
The return chamber is about 12 X 5 X 8
The outlet on the return pump has both a 3/4" and a 1"

florida joe

I went to the local fish store and I was told you shouldn't put any live rock/critters in the refuge. only live sand and some cheto. What do you guys think?
I think you should ask the person at the LFS what refuge means. Hopefully he will tell you its a word used to describe a place where a hobbyist can keep critters safe from inhabitants in their tank. Hence the word refuge. Then ask him or her why would they say not to keep critters in their refuge. As far as the rock goes that is a personal preference, not a necessity in a refuge.
I hope you get this in time. are you getting vinyl hose ? if so make sure you are getting reinforced vinyl hose. and go with the larger size. Its the type with the nylon thread embedded into the plastic

handbanana

Now im questioning everything about my sump after reading this thread. My sump space is extreamly limited. is it possible to drill two ten gal( all that fits under my stand) at the lowest point and attach tubeing to them and have some Equipment in one a possible refuge in another? I didnt do Enough research on my sump and i want to correct it while the only thing in my tank is water. How do i determine how many times my tank is moved? is skimmer performance affected by sump water level? (mine compleatly fills the collection cup with water.) Are the baffles in the sump nesacary?

florida joe

(mine compleatly fills the collection cup with water.
this is not a good thing are the return water lines from your skimmer clogged.
Post a drawing of what you are trying to do

shyshko08

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/3188668
I think you should ask the person at the LFS what refuge means. Hopefully he will tell you its a word used to describe a place where a hobbyist can keep critters safe from inhabitants in their tank. Hence the word refuge. Then ask him or her why would they say not to keep critters in their refuge. As far as the rock goes that is a personal preference, not a necessity in a refuge.
I hope you get this in time. are you getting vinyl hose ? if so make sure you are getting reinforced vinyl hose. and go with the larger size. Its the type with the nylon thread embedded into the plastic

He stated that all those critters that you are keeping in there will be eating all your beneficial bacteria, so in the end the refuge will end up being a mini tank of critters. The name refuge was to to keep beneficial bacteria safe not critters.
That is what I was told, I'm not saying you are wrong. Let me know what you think about what he told me. I'd like to get both opinions.

florida joe

Originally Posted by Handbanana
http:///forum/post/3188744
Now im questioning everything about my sump after reading this thread. My sump space is extreamly limited. is it possible to drill two ten gal( all that fits under my stand) at the lowest point and attach tubeing to them and have some Equipment in one a possible refuge in another? I didnt do Enough research on my sump and i want to correct it while the only thing in my tank is water. How do i determine how many times my tank is moved? is skimmer performance affected by sump water level? (mine compleatly fills the collection cup with water.) Are the baffles in the sump nesacary?
You do not need baffles, you do not have to drill the two tanks at the lowest point and you Will have to bulk head both tanks

xcali1985

Actually a pretty neat idea to use seperate individual tanks for wach steps with bulkheads and pipe fittings in between. I like that idea, may do it with several 20 talls for my next upgrade.

florida joe

Originally Posted by Shyshko08
http:///forum/post/3189300
He stated that all those critters that you are keeping in there will be eating all your beneficial bacteria, so in the end the refuge will end up being a mini tank of critters. The name refuge was to to keep beneficial bacteria safe not critters.
That is what I was told, I'm not saying you are wrong. Let me know what you think about what he told me. I'd like to get both opinions.
Ask him or her what these critters are that eat nitrifing and denitrifying bacteria I certainly would like to know.
The name refuge was to to keep beneficial bacteria safe not critters.

Now I will be the first to admit I do not know much about this hobby BUT I do know that Dr. Walter Adey of the Smithsonian Institute first used the term Refugia to describe water that was separate from the main tank but connected to it. This area housed plants or animals that could develop with out being attacked by fish. Today we use the Refugia as a place that increases water volume within our system, an area for our skimmer, supplemental bio filtration via live rock and or a deep sand bed est. The area is also used to grow micro-crustaceans that can be used for food with in our main tank. I personally know people that grow aiptasia within their Refugia to use as food for their butterfly fish. Most refugia are commonly used today to grow higher forms of algae BTW I personally would and do only grow caulerpa in my Refugia a great way to export nitrates.
Now I would never claim to know more then the person you are talking to BUT it may just be possible

shyshko08

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/3189428
BTW I personally would and do only grow caulerpa in my Refugia a great way to export nitrates.
Is caulerpa better to have the cheto? whats the difference in terms of what each does or does not do.

florida joe

Originally Posted by Shyshko08
http:///forum/post/3190972
Is caulerpa better to have the cheto? whats the difference in terms of what each does or does not do.
they both do the same thing as far a assimilating nitrates difference is cheato is a VW while caulerpa is a Shelby AC cobra

shyshko08

Hey guys, its been a while since I posted but my sump has been up and running for a few months now and its working flawlessly, I'm gunna put up a video of what it looks like in a few minutes! Thanks for everyone's help!