I need some info please

thumpco

Hey everybody. I would love some information on a paddlefin goby. Anything you can find or tell me where to look. Thank you. Also, what are ornamental shrimp-what does it mean? Thanks again

btldreef

I think I know what goby you're referring to, but do you have a picture?
Ornamental shrimp refer to the shrimp we keep in our tanks as "pets" rather than those we feed to our fish. Cleaner shrimp, harlequin shrimp, sexy shrimp, etc are ornamental. Mysis shrimp, brine shrimp and ghost shrimp are feeder shrimp.

thumpco

http://www.***************.com/images/products/Fish/large/signigobius_biocellatus.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLDreef http:///t/389759/i-need-some-info-please#post_3446711
I think I know what goby you're referring to, but do you have a picture?
Ornamental shrimp refer to the shrimp we keep in our tanks as "pets" rather than those we feed to our fish. Cleaner shrimp, harlequin shrimp, sexy shrimp, etc are ornamental. Mysis shrimp, brine shrimp and ghost shrimp are feeder shrimp.

S

smallreef

He looks closely similar to a Two spot goby or 4 wheel drive goby from this site...
From this site:
The twin "eyes" on its dorsal fin is the reason it is also known as a Signal Goby. But the distinct black ventral and anal fins make it look like it's sitting on four tires. Since this fish likes to build a burrow your substrate should be sugar-sized.This fish will grow to 4".Diet should include enriched mysis and brine shrimp, as well as other small chopped frozen seafoods. May accept high quality flake food. Feed frequently.Provide rockwork for shelter, a sand bed and for best care, use with a refugium.Do not keep with aggressive fish, especially bottom feeders.
From another site:
The Two Spot Goby is also referred to as the Twinspot Goby, Signal Goby, or Crabeye Goby. The head and body are white splattered with orange markings. Its erect dorsal fins are distinctly marked by eyespots.
It should reside in a 10 gallon or larger aquarium with live sand as a substrate, and an attached populated refugium. It will rarely act aggressively towards other fish, but is territorial, and will fight with its own kind unless they are a mated pair.
Under correct conditions, the Two Spot Goby will spawn successfully in an aquarium.
Usually the Two Spot Goby feeds off the bottom sifting through the sand for food. It should be fed a variety of either live or vitamin-enriched frozen brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, live black worms, and prepared foods for carnivores.

btldreef

From what I've read/heard in the past about these guys is that they really need established sand beds to thrive long term.

thumpco

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallreef http:///t/389759/i-need-some-info-please#post_3446796
He looks closely similar to a Two spot goby or 4 wheel drive goby from this site...
From this site:
The twin "eyes" on its dorsal fin is the reason it is also known as a Signal Goby. But the distinct black ventral and anal fins make it look like it's sitting on four tires. Since this fish likes to build a burrow your substrate should be sugar-sized.This fish will grow to 4".Diet should include enriched mysis and brine shrimp, as well as other small chopped frozen seafoods. May accept high quality flake food. Feed frequently.Provide rockwork for shelter, a sand bed and for best care, use with a refugium.Do not keep with aggressive fish, especially bottom feeders.
From another site:
The Two Spot Goby is also referred to as the Twinspot Goby, Signal Goby, or Crabeye Goby. The head and body are white splattered with orange markings. Its erect dorsal fins are distinctly marked by eyespots.
It should reside in a 10 gallon or larger aquarium with live sand as a substrate, and an attached populated refugium. It will rarely act aggressively towards other fish, but is territorial, and will fight with its own kind unless they are a mated pair.
Under correct conditions, the Two Spot Goby will spawn successfully in an aquarium.
Usually the Two Spot Goby feeds off the bottom sifting through the sand for food. It should be fed a variety of either live or vitamin-enriched frozen brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, live black worms, and prepared foods for carnivores.

thumpco

Do you think a orange spotted goby could be a good choice for my tank, but I don't have fine sand it is like crushed up rock and shells- could he clean this? Also, I read they are a threat to shrimp will my 2 peppermint shrimp be ok?

btldreef

I would not put any sand sifter or sand burrower in crushed coral/rock substrate. It will harm them.

thumpco

Darn! Well could I ask a suggestion of what I could get? I have 2 ocellaris, 1 black ocellaris, 2 peppermint shrimp, snails, and a firefish goby. And a tailspot blenny and yellow banded possum wrasse are being processed. These are all nano fish so far, and I have a 37 gallon. thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLDreef http:///t/389759/i-need-some-info-please#post_3446992
I would not put any sand sifter or sand burrower in crushed coral/rock substrate. It will harm them.

bang guy

I recommend removing one of the Clownfish.
For a Goby, most if the Stonogobiops species are substrate dwellers that do not sift. They make a really fun pairing with certain species of Pistol Shrimp as well.

bang guy

Three Ocellaris Clownfish is probably not going to work long term in a 37 gallon tank. Just a suggestion.

S

smallreef

Violence.. if they havent paired off yet they will soon,, and the odd man out will normally be bullied to death...

bang guy

In my experience, a 37 gallon tank is not large enough for more than a bonded pair of A. ocellaris. The color morph doesn't seem to make any difference for A. ocellaris.

thumpco

I don't know what to do now. My black clown stays in his conch shell 98.9% of the day so he is not interacting with any of the other fish. So could they just live in harmony b/c he doesn't come out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang Guy http:///t/389759/i-need-some-info-please#post_3447303
In my experience, a 37 gallon tank is not large enough for more than a bonded pair of A. ocellaris. The color morph doesn't seem to make any difference for A. ocellaris.

bang guy

There are always exceptions for a multitude of reasons. All I'm saying is that the odds are against you. Speaking from experience a bonded pair will form, one of the pair will become female and ignore the other Clownfish for a year or two and then one day decide to kill it and not rest until it is gone one way or the other.