I purchased new Horses

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///t/390256/i-purchased-new-horses/40#post_3455453
WOW...they look great!!!!!!!!!!!!
I got them from Seahorse source, the guy knows Cranberry and Saxman. They are really nice horses...I couldn't be more pleased with them. They really like to swim around all over the tank, I thought one liked to swim high but it looks like they all like the tall tank.

S

smallreef

Awww they are so pretty, and so big! I love that you can see them without playing wheres waldo!!!

al&burke

Flower - congrats I haven't been around for a few days, so happy to see everything working out for you and your ponies. I have to say that it really makes me want to get a couple pairs of SH. Great pictures you took as well. Good luck with these guys.

novahobbies

Flower, they look fantastic. I'm so glad they ate!
But I still say the hungry thoughts went the wrong way. Went off my diet a lil' bit today, and I totally blame you.

travelerjp98

Flower- Those pics are amazing!!!! Love thew SHs!
Siptang- Congrats on your 1000th post! (Sorry to hijack the thread Flower)

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by novahobbies http:///t/390256/i-purchased-new-horses/40#post_3455545
Flower, they look fantastic. I'm so glad they ate!
But I still say the hungry thoughts went the wrong way. Went off my diet a lil' bit today, and I totally blame you.

Lil O me??? LOL...I am following weight watchers....I didn't save any snack points for tonight, so all I can have until bedtime is water.

tirtza

Those are absolutely beautiful horses! They look so big! About how long would you say they are?
I also really really admire your macro algae. It adds so much color! How did you get your macro algae to to stick and grow in one place?? What's your secrete. I've bought clumps of it several times and I've tried rubber banding it together, anchoring it down with rocks. Nothing worked....little by little it floated away and ended up getting snagged on one of my power heads.

novahobbies

Gooooood Morning! Actually, I've been up since 4. Cleaning, no less. One of those nights.
SO. How are the horses?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by novahobbies http:///t/390256/i-purchased-new-horses/40#post_3455580
Gooooood Morning! Actually, I've been up since 4. Cleaning, no less. One of those nights.
SO. How are the horses?
LOL...I got up at 3:00 because the dogs decided they had to go out...I went back to bed...
I just got up maybe 30 minutes ago and I turned on my bedroom table light...then after a few minutes I turned on my main bedroom light...I just turned on the Seahorse tank light. I was trying to get them used to my room before I shocked them with tank lights. My timer broke so I do my lights manually.
I did a small 2g water change just before I turned on the lights, I don't want any ammonia spikes. The girl was out and about, but the boys are just starting to wake up and start moving around. As soon as I'm sure they are awake I will feed them. They made it through the night! ...They are swimming so here goes an early morning feeding...hungry little horses!
These guys won't eat unless the food is dumped into the tank and floats down...they are afraid of my training feeding tube...the one I got the others to chase to the feeding dish. Any ideas how to train them if they don't like tubes? I'm going to have a mess of a tank.

novahobbies

Sorry, I saw this but forgot to reply. Flower, if you use the feeding tube a couple times and just let the shrimp scatter down out of the tube, they'll start getting used to it quickly. Won't be long before they recognize it as the magical food portal, and you'll be able to use it to help guide them to the feeding dish.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by novahobbies http:///t/390256/i-purchased-new-horses/40#post_3455745
Sorry, I saw this but forgot to reply. Flower, if you use the feeding tube a couple times and just let the shrimp scatter down out of the tube, they'll start getting used to it quickly. Won't be long before they recognize it as the magical food portal, and you'll be able to use it to help guide them to the feeding dish.
Thanks...I'll give it a try in the morning.

flower

Well they didn't hide from the sea squirt tube, so after a few days I should be able to get them to follow the tube to the feeding dish. Thanks Nova. I have two males puffing at each other so they must be getting used to the new home.
Whats kind of funny is they like to hug the columns on the pavalon...they kind of look like a carousal except it doesn't move. It's hard to get a picture where you can see but...here there are 3, one at every other column but in the picture you can only see two well...I will try for a better picture of them doing it when all four are on them.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirtza http:///t/390256/i-purchased-new-horses/40#post_3455576
Those are absolutely beautiful horses! They look so big! About how long would you say they are?
I also really really admire your macro algae. It adds so much color! How did you get your macro algae to to stick and grow in one place?? What's your secrete. I've bought clumps of it several times and I've tried rubber banding it together, anchoring it down with rocks. Nothing worked....little by little it floated away and ended up getting snagged on one of my power heads.
Sorry, I didn't see your post. All the horses are about 6 inches, the female might be 5.5 she is just a little smaller, but she has a big head. I should ask Seahorse source their age. These are H Kuda horses. I read they are a little more sensitive to temp changes. I have a chiller so they should be fine. The Erectus were very hardy...I hope these are just as healthy.
The green sea grass looking stuff I just kind of buried the runner in the sand, Caulerpa grows pretty fast. The red macros I got in the sampler pack I used crazy glue gel to attach the edges. The red flowers began to appear on everything as hard crusty bumps...There is a thread someplace where I was asking for an ID on it. As it matured it became more jelly like, and became the petals you see all over.
Macro algae seems to really grow well in seahorse tanks...LOL, because horses are such messy eaters there are always too many nutrients in the tank, they feed on it, and as I remove the overgrowth it removes the phosphates and nitrates, so it's a good combo.
I think that unless you have abundant nutrients macros can't grow and they die, and most of us keep our tanks too clean to have them in the display. A little in a refugium will help to keep the water pristine and that's where you will see most folks using macro algae. For color we usually go for corals.

mr. limpid

They look great, glad you are having good luck with them. It's probably because you know what you are doing.