I really don't want to scare new hobbyists with it, but... these photos were taken in the middle of cleaning my tank

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelerjp98 http:///forum/thread/387048/i-really-don-t-want-to-scare-new-hobbyists-with-it-but-these-photos-were-taken-in-the-middle-of-cleaning-my-tank/20#post_3402928
yes definitley! I also organized all the electrical wires in the back of the tank so I think that's another safety step, too!
Thanks guys- I really appreciate all your comments! This is why the forums here were made!
Hey..just in case you don't know about them. They do make portable GFCI outlets. It plugs into the regular outlet and makes it into a GFCI that will trip the instant there is a flex in the current, like water creates. I don't know enough about them to be technical and explain it, but they are life savers. Any hardware store will have them.

travelerjp98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///forum/thread/387048/i-really-don-t-want-to-scare-new-hobbyists-with-it-but-these-photos-were-taken-in-the-middle-of-cleaning-my-tank/40#post_3402935
Hey..just in case you don't know about them. They do make portable GFCI outlets. It plugs into the regular outlet and makes it into a GFCI that will trip the instant there is a flex in the current, like water creates. I don't know enough about them to be technical and explain it, but they are life savers. Any hardware store will have them.
Oh yeah I'm looking into those, too! I've always put them on my list of things to get next time I go to the hardware store but somehow I always forget about it LOL!

1guydude

on my 1st tank i just drilled holes in the stand and ran some zip ties through it to hang my powerbars off the floor?!?!? I suppose some clamps or something would look better though!

carlos413

I am working on a small "push kart / trolley". I plan on hooking up my RO/DI I have a 15 gallon container for my saltwater mixing. I am also going to add a power strip going down the side so power heads and heater can be pluged in. I have started but haven't got around to finishing it. I am kind of stuck on what kind of handles I'll use . the kart is set with the wheels.

1guydude

LOL the things we do for are hobby (addiction).... never thought of that! Thxs
i was thinkin going with the trash can ato hooked up to the tank sitting right next to the tank idea~~~
Quote:
I am working on a small "push kart / trolley". I plan on hooking up my RO/DI I have a 15 gallon container for my saltwater mixing. I am also going to add a power strip going down the side so power heads and heater can be pluged in. I have started but haven't got around to finishing it. I am kind of stuck on what kind of handles I'll use . the kart is set with the wheels.

florida joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelerjp98 http:///forum/thread/387048/i-really-don-t-want-to-scare-new-hobbyists-with-it-but-these-photos-were-taken-in-the-middle-of-cleaning-my-tank/40#post_3403185
in what way can they be? I have no idea, really just asking you.. not rude or anything!
First let me say no rudeness taken. If you have voltage leaking into your system your first priority it to find the faulty equipment. A grounding rod does not find the cause. Now we must understand that the stray voltage is not the problem. The problem is current. We can have voltage in our system without current. Now we place a grounding rod in our system. We are now giving the voltage a path to travel. That voltage is now current. Any fish that is now between the source and the grounding probe will have that current flowing through their bodies. That is not a good thing. While the current may not be strong enough to kill them I bet it sure as hell is a constant pain in the ass and a constant stress factor. Bottom line address the cause of the stray voltage

travelerjp98

I agree to that. I never thought about a grounding probe till now and I don't think I'm gonna get one anyways.
Because one time I felt electricity running through my tank and it turned out my heater was compleley messed up and leaking some weird black fluid...
I immediatley unplugged it, took it out, and did a huge water change, and changed the activated carbon...
If I had a grounding probe, by the time I would of found it, it would of been too late!