I wanna be a clam!

I am going to be adding clams to my tank in a few weeks, does anyone have any good place they could send me for some rock solid info on keeping these in a reef tank.

azonic

East Coast Clams
They have a number of links with extensive information on clam keeping. I've been reading up on it myself lately, with my dual400 watt halides on the way. What kinda clams do you like? I think my first will be a red sea blue maxima.

hawkypro

Clams are maybe the best kept secret in the hobby. If you can, get your hands on a Tridacnid clam as they are well suited for brilliantly lit tanks. Clams DO NOT need to be fed and will remove nutrients such as ammonium and nitrate ions from the water as a source of food. Clams are very hardy creatures and can with stand extreme changes in water conditions. In 1 year my Tridacnid has almost doubled its size and anchord its self to the bottom of my tank and survived in dismal conditions. Any clam you select will be good. just give them excellent lighting conditions. Happy reefing

azonic

Hawkypro - I dont agree with your statement that clams do not need to be fed. While they are young they do indeed need feedings. It's not until they get older and have a well established zooanthae?? algae in them that they can go without food....BUT only if you have the proper lighting.

hawkypro

Azonic- I did forget to mention that i do use BioPlankton to feed the inverts so the clam does get fed, just indirectly. thanks for the feed back.