I want to add an ocellaris

rtlimpus

I have one little ocellaris clown, and I want to add another. I know I should go with the same kind, but is there anything I should know?
I am thinking in terms of size? This guy is little- which I assume makes him/her young. It is the only fish in the tank (aside from the anemone)
I also intend to add a peppermint shrimp to fight the annoying apstasia(sp)?.
Sound OK?

mr.clownfish

the best thing to do is to find one smaller than the one u have.
the one u have will turn into a female. but u MUST find one smaller at least half the size.
and some peppermint shrimp dont eat aiptasias its like a 50/50 chance. its better to buy them in groups or at least buy 2, they will do better when there is more than one.
good luck

rtlimpus

Originally Posted by Mr.clownfish
http:///forum/post/3242199
the best thing to do is to find one smaller than the one u have.
the one u have will turn into a female. but u MUST find one smaller at least half the size.
and some peppermint shrimp dont eat aiptasias its like a 50/50 chance. its better to buy them in groups or at least buy 2, they will do better when there is more than one.
good luck

Since mine is sooooo small, do I need to wait til he gets bigger? I am not sure I have seen one smaller.
And thanks for the advice on the shrimp......

mr.clownfish

if u can find one smaller then take it. feed ur clownfish mysis shrimp until its belly gets nice and fat everyday so it will grow faster.

ibanez

Being so small, I think you could add a black or different color variations like picaso or misbar if you wanted, you just wouldn't want to add maroon, or skunk, or tomato clowns or ones like that. All clown fish are born male so you probably have a little guy.

rtlimpus

Originally Posted by IbanEz
http:///forum/post/3242658
Being so small, I think you could add a black or different color variations like picaso or misbar if you wanted, you just wouldn't want to add maroon, or skunk, or tomato clowns or ones like that. All clown fish are born male so you probably have a little guy.
Thanks guys for your info. I picked up two peppermint shrimp today but decided to be patient with my new guy. There was one about his size but he was hovering in the corner of the tank at LFS- so I passed.
You really think a black is a possibility? The kids want one- they call them EMO nemo's.

crypt keeper

You can mix colors not species. A Maroon will kill your little guy. I would get a bigger one. Get a clear critter box. Put the bigger clown in that box in the tank. See how they act. Then let him out

mr.clownfish

yeah u could remove the one u have now and place him into a smaller container and place the larger one in with him. then transfer them together into the tank, but u would have to change your aqua scape. right now the clown thinks the tank is his own. if u add a larger one it might change its self into a female and start being more aggressive to defend its territory.
black clownfish are pretty cool. give them a try if u like!

crypt keeper

They dont turn female overnight. IMo and IME Clowns like a partner. You never see a clownfish alone in the ocean. They want a friend. If we are talking juvi sized fish under 2 inches You will have zero issues. If your guy now is an inch long get a 1.5 inch buddy. They will figure out the male female set up and I highly doubt a .5 inch sized larger clown will do much damage if any at all. People freak about adding clowns. Same species it works when they are small. Mix species you have issues. Go get another clown. Slightly larger. If the clown now thinks that the tank is his a larger one will handle its own. Place the new larger one in a critter box. Place the critter box in the tank. Let them check each other out. After a day let the new guy out. I will bet $50 they bond right away.

rtlimpus

Originally Posted by crypt keeper
http:///forum/post/3243530
They dont turn female overnight. IMo and IME Clowns like a partner. You never see a clownfish alone in the ocean. They want a friend. If we are talking juvi sized fish under 2 inches You will have zero issues. If your guy now is an inch long get a 1.5 inch buddy. They will figure out the male female set up and I highly doubt a .5 inch sized larger clown will do much damage if any at all. People freak about adding clowns. Same species it works when they are small. Mix species you have issues. Go get another clown. Slightly larger. If the clown now thinks that the tank is his a larger one will handle its own. Place the new larger one in a critter box. Place the critter box in the tank. Let them check each other out. After a day let the new guy out. I will bet $50 they bond right away.
Thanks guys. I will pick one out first thing tomorrow. Yay. Im excited!

nvmywrx

i beg to differ, through my experience right now. I picked up 2 clowns at the same time and they were the same species. They got along for about a week than became very territorial and aggressive and the aggressive one is the small one. It does not let the other one eat nor even come out of this cave. http://img709.imageshack.us/i/imagebjr.jpg/ i rarely see the other clown fish and it keeps loosing its color from the other one chasing it around. Ive had them about a month and a half.
and the aggressive clown does not even bother my blenny.

aquaknight

Clownfish are one of those (sort of the case with 99% of this hobby) where anything is possible, though however unlikely. Years ago we had a large Cinnamon clown mixed in with a Pink Skunk clown. They lived peacefully in the same carpet anemone, though never 'paired.' Of course that's an example of an extremely unlikely scenario that's never recommended.
For your clown, your chances are pretty much the same any way you go. Here's sort of the problem when answers are regurgitated, your clown being so small, it's going to be impossible to find one half it's size. If you have only had the clownfish for a short time, you can get another of any size, and any 'variant.' Black, snowflake, etc. If you had the clown for a bit of time now, like 3 weeks or more, buy only one of no more then equal size. Clownfish are hermaphrodites, at some point in time without another clown, he is going to start to turn female, which isn't reversible. I feel comfortable with the 3 weeks.

crypt keeper

Originally Posted by nvmywrx
http:///forum/post/3243580
i beg to differ, through my experience right now. I picked up 2 clowns at the same time and they were the same species. They got along for about a week than became very territorial and aggressive and the aggressive one is the small one. It does not let the other one eat nor even come out of this cave. http://img709.imageshack.us/i/imagebjr.jpg/ i rarely see the other clown fish and it keeps loosing its color from the other one chasing it around. Ive had them about a month and a half.
and the aggressive clown does not even bother my blenny.
You placed them in your tank incorrectly IME. I dont know why you would allow this to continue to happen either. I never said its full proof. You have fish that can be butt heads. In your case you have one. If the correct steps are taken and the you see how the fish react to each other first then you can make the correct choice on what to do. You just threw two fish together and hoped for the best. Im not saying to do that. IMO the critter box is a must.
Hell catch the one in your tank now place him in a qt set up with the new guy.
Just make sure you buy a captive bred clown. They get thet disease Brook something or other. It will kill both your fish very very fast and its sad to watch.

rtlimpus

So- I brought my new clown home, and realized he doesn't look at all like the one in my tank. Did the LFS get it wrong? Is my little guy something else. I had the new one in a critter box all night, and added him this morning. They are getting along famously, and ate a hardy breakfast together. But I am concerned about there "types". Any ideas?

crypt keeper

as long as its not a Percula you should fine. Misbar is a defect. Personally I love the look. How did your established clown act when the new clown was in the Critter box?

rtlimpus

Originally Posted by crypt keeper
http:///forum/post/3244270
as long as its not a Percula you should fine. Misbar is a defect. Personally I love the look. How did your established clown act when the new clown was in the Critter box?
He about pee'd himself with excitement- or so it seemed.

He swam around and looked and looked. They are barely being brats to one another, but I can't tell who wants to be boss yet. They are just swimming around with each other, happy as -er- clams. The new one seems more interested in my nem.