I want to $%@#@# scream!!

dutch06

Originally Posted by King_Neptune
http:///forum/post/3221913
My question is would it do it in under 24 hours?
Good question. I don't really know the answer.
I would guess it would depend on the health of the specimen. If it was 100%, no problems, I would guess no too. But if it had any underlying health problems, ie stress, disease, etc.; it could probably do the trick. I really think their just not suited for new tanks and in all best case scenarios have a life span of 6-12 months. (At least that's all I can ever get out of one and I have had four.)

garick

I would think that like BTL said, a 3 hour drip acclimation along with a fairly lengthy car ride. Probably didn't serve its immediate health. Add to that the temp swing upwards and it would have really been stressed.

king_neptune

Originally Posted by Dutch06
http:///forum/post/3221920
I really think their just not suited for new tanks and in all best case scenarios have a life span of 6-12 months. (At least that's all I can ever get out of one and I have had four.)
Oh no!!
Mine are almost 4months. They are huge compared to when I first got them. Boring shrimp since they mostly hide. But I don't have aptasia in my tank, so they do their job.

lmecher

Originally Posted by King_Neptune
http:///forum/post/3221913
My question is would it do it in under 24 hours?
I wasn't ever aware that elevated nitrates would kill that fast.
That is hard to say but when you combine all that went on that day, moving to new tank, SG change, PH drop (while in bag) temp and then add high nitrates, very well could have.
I have 9 in my octopus tank. I have had them for about 4 months and haven't lost any to date. I got them on sale, couldn't resist and besides I thought it would keep him busy. He suprised me and has not gone after them. (purchased octopus in October) I have had some very good signs although, they have spawned a few times so I guess my conditons are pretty good. Mine are always out foraging for food and are quite entertaining.
I have a very bad video of their last spawn. turn your volume down, didn't realize how sound picks up, background noise and us talking is annoying.
But you can see the large numbers, it was pretty cool to see. Wish I could have saved some but at least it was extra food for the shrimp, they went wild on them.

handbanana

Wow where do I start with this? Ill work my way back. thanks for the responses! awesome
ok. there was no long drive from the LFS. less then ten min. I acclimated the way I was shown on a certin website. wich I frequent constantly...
I didnt mean to get an ornimental shrimp. I ment to get ones that perform a function IE. cleaning my tank? hence the cleaner shrimp. didnt know it was an ornimental. can someone recomend one thats not ornimental but will still cllean my tank up?
I dont have a swing arm hydrometer. I have a floating one. and... last night My friend came over to check out my tank. with him he brought his digital refractometer. after calibrating it twice with the fluid it came with I tested my water. 1.025. nuff said.
Also I read in a new Marine encyclepedia that its fluctations in salinity that useally kills. most fish can adjust themselfs to conditions such as high/low salinity. its the flucuations that kill. idk. just what I read. Anyway Im going on my lunch break so ill continue this later. I have TONS more to say.

dutch06

Originally Posted by Handbanana
http:///forum/post/3221971
can someone recomend one thats not ornimental but will still cllean my tank up?
Snails. Lots of them.
The shrimp is not cleaning your tank. It cleans parasites from fish, ie Ich. It's easier to keep a fish from getting ich, or another treatment versus relying on a cleaner shrimp to do the job.
If it was mentioned earlier, I apologize, how big is your tank?

king_neptune

Originally Posted by Dutch06
http:///forum/post/3221984
It cleans parasites from fish, ie Ich.
Sorry. That is an unfortunate myth that everyone hears. I too fell prey to the story that Cleaner shrimp sometimes can take care of ICH. They don't.

btldreef

Hy
http:///forum/post/3221971
Wow where do I start with this? Ill work my way back. thanks for the responses! awesome
ok. there was no long drive from the LFS. less then ten min. I acclimated the way I was shown on a certin website. wich I frequent constantly...
I didnt mean to get an ornimental shrimp. I ment to get ones that perform a function IE. cleaning my tank? hence the cleaner shrimp. didnt know it was an ornimental. can someone recomend one thats not ornimental but will still cllean my tank up?
I dont have a swing arm hydrometer. I have a floating one. and... last night My friend came over to check out my tank. with him he brought his digital refractometer. after calibrating it twice with the fluid it came with I tested my water. 1.025. nuff said.
Also I read in a new Marine encyclepedia that its fluctations in salinity that useally kills. most fish can adjust themselfs to conditions such as high/low salinity. its the flucuations that kill. idk. just what I read. Anyway Im going on my lunch break so ill continue this later. I have TONS more to say.

Woah! back up. I, for one, did not say it was a long car ride. My problem w/ your acclimation has not so much to do with the length of time alone, but more to do with the fact that your drips were far too stretched out. I'd like to know what site is saying only 2 drips per minute. A proper drip acclimation usually requires a constant and consistent drip rate (usually one drip every 1-3 seconds). Since your drip was not consistent and the process lasted 3 hours, I suspect that temperature and stress are more likely culprits. Especially since you just found your salinity to be lower than you originally posted (which is a better/safer level anyways).
What I'm finding odd is the shrimp you owned for a few days also dying when the cleaner did.
I do not consider Skunk Cleaner Shrimp or Peppermints ornamental shrimp. They do serve a functional purpose to the tank. I own both types if shrimp and they do a fabulous job cleaning left over food. One of my two skunks also cleans my fish. To me, an ornamental shrimp is more along the lines of a Harlequin Shrimp.
I'm glad you were able to test your salinity and rule that out as a cause. Now you know that your hydrometer does not read accurate. Swing arm or floating, neither are as accurate as a refractometer.
Keep testing your water over the next few days to see if you notice any swings.
Keep your head up. this hobby can be expensive and stressful, but I promise the end result is worth it. We all have that one thing we can't keep alive, for me it is a diamond goby.
Good luck.

handbanana

jeez
I had a comment and response to everybodys response and our server crashed at work. A whole bunch of text gone. An hours worth of work(I type slow) poof!
So Here it is. the short of it. I went home last night and tested my params.
temp was 82! so I shut off my heater for awhile, raised my lights and turned on my evep fans. Today the temp is at 80. better but I still want to bring it down...slowly...
Ammo was .25! not good.
Nitrates are still at 20
my nitrites are at .25
My ph is at 8.0
sal is at 1.025
My shrimp was bombing around the tank like it owned it
swimming upside down. soo cool. seems ok so maybe it will survive.
I was reading about PH balances and how if the reading is 8 it is ten times more ammonia than if the reading is 7. if the reading is 9 it is 100 times more than if it was 7. Im a little hazy on what this means. any insight?
Also I read that a good way to raise PH and keep it steady is to have a refuguium on a opposite photo (light) cycle than the tank. on when tanks is off and vice versa. has anyone else heard of this?
And what about a fluidized substrate filter? seems cool to me. has anyone used them? just wondering.
Gosh theres so many responses to all the ones I got but Im such a crappy typer it would take me all night to respond. I was pretty heated when I did it the first time. seems like some people like to argue just to argue. thats not me.
I apperciate EVERYTHING anybody posts. Even if it dead wrong. your still making an effort and its up to me to confirm what Im told. I did not blame anything on anyone who posts on this site. why would I?? I dont blame myself either. I did what I thought was right and am making a serious effort to learn and not rely on others people to do my work. Mistakes are made. thats life....#@$& happens. as KING said
OH YEAH I did a ten gal water change last night too. I have a ton of questions Im getting from reading up on keeping a reef aquarium. I dont know if they belong in this thread.
Sooo thats it for now. thanks so much everybodie!!!!!

btldreef

Originally Posted by Handbananahttp:///forum/post/3222153
jeez
I had a comment and response to everybodys response and our server crashed at work. A whole bunch of text gone. An hours worth of work(I type slow) poof!
I know that feeling! I type on my phone a lot which takes a lot of time and then it will just not post and I'll loose everything.

So Here it is. the short of it. I went home last night and tested my params.
temp was 82! so I shut off my heater for awhile, raised my lights and turned on my evep fans. Today the temp is at 80. better but I still want to bring it down...slowly...
Ammo was .25! not good.
Nitrates are still at 20
my nitrites are at .25
My ph is at 8.0
sal is at 1.025
Well there is your answer. Ammonia and nitrites MUST be zero. Personally, I'd also raise the pH a little, but that's not bad. I just prefer to keep my own tank at 8.2-8.3

My shrimp was bombing around the tank like it owned it
swimming upside down. soo cool. seems ok so maybe it will survive. Which shrimp? I thought both died
I'm confused now

I was reading about PH balances and how if the reading is 8 it is ten times more ammonia than if the reading is 7. if the reading is 9 it is 100 times more than if it was 7. Im a little hazy on what this means. any insight?
You absolutely do not want your reef to have a pH of 7. I've never heard of pH having that sort of effect on ammonia, but maybe someone else has some insight on this subject. A reef tank should be around 8-8.4

Also I read that a good way to raise PH and keep it steady is to have a refuguium on a opposite photo (light) cycle than the tank. on when tanks is off and vice versa. has anyone else heard of this?
And what about a fluidized substrate filter? seems cool to me. has anyone used them? just wondering.
Gosh theres so many responses to all the ones I got but Im such a crappy typer it would take me all night to respond. I was pretty heated when I did it the first time. seems like some people like to argue just to argue. thats not me.
I apperciate EVERYTHING anybody posts. Even if it dead wrong. your still making an effort and its up to me to confirm what Im told. I did not blame anything on anyone who posts on this site. why would I?? I dont blame myself either. I did what I thought was right and am making a serious effort to learn and not rely on others people to do my work. Mistakes are made. thats life....#@$& happens. as KING said I wasn't saying you blamed me. But others were saying I said things that I did not say and just wanted to clarify where I was coming from. I do not like words being put in my mouth, nor does anyone else I'm sure.

OH YEAH I did a ten gal water change last night too. I'm assuming you did this after you found out that your ammonia and nitrites were reading above zero?
I have a ton of questions Im getting from reading up on keeping a reef aquarium. I dont know if they belong in this thread.
Sooo thats it for now. thanks so much everybodie!!!!!
Anyways, sounds like you've got some issues with your water parameters to work out. Not unusual of a new tank. I would take this time to ask as many questions as possible and read as much as possible. Keep in mind that there are NO right or wrong answers to this hobby, everyone's tank is completely different.
Good luck

reefkprz

Originally Posted by Fibinotchi
http:///forum/post/3221148
salinity seems high
I run all my invert tanks at 1.027 @83 degrees and have for years/. I dont think this is the cause of the problem witht eh shrimp, unless they werent accliamted to the change properly.

btldreef

http:///forum/post/3221280
I acclimated the shrimp by putting it and its water from the bag in a 5 gal bucket, ran some airline tubing about 6" under my DT waterline and started a siphon, then put a valve and set the drips for 2 min for the first 2 hours then raised it to about 5 drips a min.

This is what I have an issue with. I honestly believe that it was your acclimation as I stated above. I'm only posting this again since others are question acclimation and obviously not bothering to read how you acclimated.

handbanana

Thanks BTLD!
You hit the nail on the head with the acclimation process. maybe ppl only read the last few posts.

OH no that blame comment was not directed at you. someone else said I was blameing others for my problems.
Sorry for the confusion, I had 2 peppermints befor I got the cleaner. one died at the same time as the cleaner. the others jammin around my tank. Upsidedown

Anyway I have issues with how I acclimated. I did it compleatly wrong.

Ive been reading up on it now. much faster drip is needed.
Anyway thanks for the response. Ill see how it looks tonight and let ya know!

btldreef

http:///forum/post/3222223
Thanks BTLD!
You hit the nail on the head with the acclimation process. maybe ppl only read the last few posts.

OH no that blame comment was not directed at you. someone else said I was blameing others for my problems.
Sorry for the confusion, I had 2 peppermints befor I got the cleaner. one died at the same time as the cleaner. the others jammin around my tank. Upsidedown

Anyway I have issues with how I acclimated. I did it compleatly wrong.

Ive been reading up on it now. much faster drip is needed.
Anyway thanks for the response. Ill see how it looks tonight and let ya know!
No problem.
Yes, a quick steady drip is what you want during drip acclimation. This keeps up the temperature of the water as well as helps the salinity mix evenly. Usually one drip every 1-3 seconds is best.
<--- on the links on the right side of the tank, you'll see Acclimation, watch the video, it's short and worth it.
Good luck with the tank.