i want to upgrade to 125gal with sump. should i be worried about putting it on a wood sub floor?

kilofey

I'd like to upgrade from 75 gal reef with 30 gal sump, but would a 125gal with 30 gal sump be okay? I have wood sub floors not concrete. I'm not sure if the wall it sits on is a load bearing wall, but it Seels like it would be. Its basically in the center of the house.
What's the biggest tank size I can go with without being worried about weight (sump included too)

bang guy

Can you find out if the tank would sit parallel to the joists or perpendicular? No worries if it's perpendicular. If parallel, when was the house built?
Do you have a basement or crawl space?

snakeblitz33

Are you putting it on a first floor or a second?
If you can, find the contractor who built your house and ask a structural engineer about the load. Its not as easy as parallel or perpendicular in my opinion.
When i had 330g of water on my parents floors in their above ground house i went underneath the house and poured a slab of 4" concrete foundations and braced every joist under the room.

kilofey

I have a crawl space. The house was built in 1987. I'm not sure which way the joists go but I can have my boyfriend check. I'm not sure where the place is to get under the house.
Providing the joists are perpendicular, what would be the max gallons I could get away with? (Add 250 lbs for sand/rock)

kilofey

Are you putting it on a first floor or a second?
If you can, find the contractor who built your house and ask a structural engineer about the load. Its not as easy as parallel or perpendicular in my opinion.
When i had 330g of water on my parents floors in their above ground house i went underneath the house and poured a slab of 4" concrete foundations and braced every joist under the room. ahhhh 330 gal... I'm drooling. Oh, and I have a 1 story house.

snakeblitz33

Kilofey... are you a girl?!?!
Providing they are perpendicular, I would assume that the 125-150ish range would be my personal max, without bracing it up.
I'm sure your boyfriend can get under the house and brace it up if need be. My parents house was built in the 1930s, if that says anything. lol

kilofey

Kilofey... are you a girl?!?!
Providing they are perpendicular, I would assume that the 125-150ish range would be my personal max, without bracing it up.
I'm sure your boyfriend can get under the house and brace it up if need be. My parents house was built in the 1930s, if that says anything. lol
No I'm a gay male.... hahahaha yes, I'm a girl :D I just called my dad and he was telling me how I could brace it. He said I should anyway even if the joists go the right way just to be safe cause it wouldn't be too difficult anyway

kilofey

Eh, it was six 55g aquariums racked up. Not so impressive now. lol.
still, 6 55s would be fun, then u could have different kinds of tanks! I've always wanted to do a cold water set up so I could have a Catalina goby, but I don't have the room for anything but one tank