Ice Cubes?

tlk

Is there any harm in using ice cubes to help cool the tank down? I cannot afford a chiller and seem to be running a little hot (84 degrees)I have fans on the lights but it doesn't help that much.

bang guy

Contrary to many popular books and public opinion, the math just doesn't support cooling off a tank with ice unless it's a nano. (I should don a flame retardant suit about now) If you're going to use ice anyway don't add ice directly to the water! Place it in ziplock bags or 2 liter plastic bottles and float them in your sump.
Plan A
Point the fans on the water unless you really are trying to cool off the lights. If you want to cool off the water then have the fans blow the air across the water. Be prepared for the increase in evaporation.
Plan B
Raise the temp setting on your heaters to 83 so that the temp fluctuation is minimized and just accept the temp instead of fighting it. 84, or even 86-87, is fine for a reef for a few months. The damage comes from the temp falling 3 or 4 degrees once the lights shut off.
Plan C
Switch your lighting time to nighttime when your house might be a little cooler.

entice59

sorry i cant really answer the icecube question but, have you tried, lowering your heater's temp or try to elevate you hood a little bit with something so that it has some room to "breath"

tlk

I do not have a sump set-up at this time. I unplugged the heater. Your saying to plug it back in and keep it at 84 degrees so when the lights go off, it stays at 84. Will that be ok for the summer? One light is 4 inches off the tank and the other is directly on top. Because of this, I have the glass cover closed. As I am typing this, it sounds like I should add a sump and try to control it underneath. Any thoughts?

entice59

wait... your heater is set for 84 degrees? try lowering it 80 or 78, I do not know if its okay to lower it so quickly, so i would lower one degree a day if possible to 78 or 80.

tlk

No, heater is UNPLUGGED. Temp has risen to between 84-86 since I have added new lights (4x64pc 4 inches off the top). I think bang guy was saying to raise my heater to match the current temp so that when the lights go off, the temp won't drop down 4-6 degrees.

bang guy

Is there any reason you NEED the glass top? Do you have a water resistant endcap for the PC light?
A sump would resolve most of your issues immediatly but removing the glass top is the easiest solution.
To answer your question 84 would be fine for the summer. Some of the Carribean animals and your Turbo Snails don't like the heat but 84 is fine.

tlk

When I bought the lighting set-up, the directions say "....fixtures are to be used only over completely covered aquariums." I do have a water resistant end cap and a plexiglass cover over the larger light, on the 110w I do not have any plexiglass cover.

The glass cover is holding the heat in.
"....fixtures are to be used only over completely covered aquariums."
that is so that water will not hit a hot light and break it. If our lights are high enuf off of the water, you sould be fine. I run 4 40 watt and 2 250 watt Metal Halides over an open tank. they are about 8 inches above the water.
Loose the glass top man..........but move your lights up first.:D

S

sebae0

i agree lose the tops and your temp should drop, i have 675 watts of metal halide 8 inches above tank and my temp is holding at 81 right now.

tlk

the problem is I don't have anyway to suspend the lighting. I dont have (or want a canopy). dont want chains hanging from the ceiling. The lights are approx 4 inches off the top, do you think that will be ok?

I have about the same lighting(4x65 pcs) and I added a (4") radio shack cheapo fan blowing directly under my lights. Not really at water but accross the plexi over the lights and it dropped tank temp almost 4 degrees. Removing glas tops helped alot too.
Rich