icecap 660 question

gregvabch

i'm running 4 48" VHO's on an icecap 660, just got them hooked up and installed in my canopy a couple days ago. 2 of the bulbs are whites and 2 are actinics. i installed a switch between the plug and the ballast to turn all 4 lights on and off all at once, but my question is, can i successfully install 2 switches on the lighting side of the ballast to turn the whites and actinics off in individual pairs?

tboone

Sorry, I can't answer your questions, but I just turned on the same set up and was wondering if you are running any cooling fans?

bang guy

A while back a few people were trying to figure out where to put the switches. I don't know if they ever worked it out. You could try a search on Icecap, it was probably about 6 months ago.

gregvabch

ok, Tboone, no cooling fans. the lights get hot, but never enough to burn your skin. they stay at a decent temp. maybe if i installed some mhd's, in conjunction with my VHO's, then i would install some fans. otherwise, you should be alright, IMO.

toddpolish

I'm almost 100% sure that you cannot have 2 switches to do this. I've got the 660 too. I believe you need another ballast.

shep

Don't do it...You WILL kill your ballast. It has been tried and did not work. As far as a switch to turn them off and on...ditch that too. Go to your local wal-mart and pick up a GE5101. Then you can turn on and off your lights even when you partied too late and forgot. Its a simple timer and rated at 500+ watts...

gregvabch

so do i need to have my actinics on in the evening without the white lights or will it be ok for corals if i just have all 4 lights on during the day and all 4 off at night. i thought you needed to run your actinics without the white lights for corals. i don't have corals but eventually i want to get some.

bang guy

I don't know where you heard that buy scratch them as a source of reef tank information.
There is nothing wrong with 4 on and all four off... in fact... if you left the Actininc on all night the corals would suffer. They require a lights-out period.