ich and quarentine questions

dallas612

normally, how long does it take for ich to show up in qt. i know that you qt new fish for one month but on average when does it begin to show if the fish has ich. also, if a fish successfully gets through one month in a qt tank with no signs of ich does that mean that ich is not present for good.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by dallas612
http:///forum/post/2485622
normally, how long does it take for ich to show up in qt. i know that you qt new fish for one month but on average when does it begin to show if the fish has ich. also, if a fish successfully gets through one month in a qt tank with no signs of ich does that mean that ich is not present for good.
It realy depends on the fish. All fish, other than tangs, usually show ich within two weeks. Tangs can take longer. If the fish goes through the qt period without a single sign of ich then that fish is not infected. The fish can get ich if it is present in your display though, so I cannot say that the fish is clear of ich "for good".

scsinet

Yes, one month. That is the life cycle of the parasite. If it has not found a host in that time period, then it will die so you'll be clear.

dallas612

i understand that fine i just was wondering that if every fish in my tank goes through with the qt process that their is NO WAY for ich to ever show in my display. i know the fish stores are about retarded but they say that all fish have ich and that stress brings it out but i disagree because of reading on this forum.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by dallas612
http:///forum/post/2486311
i understand that fine i just was wondering that if every fish in my tank goes through with the qt process that their is NO WAY for ich to ever show in my display. i know the fish stores are about retarded but they say that all fish have ich and that stress brings it out but i disagree because of reading on this forum.
Ich is not on every fish. If you quarantine all of your current fish and all new purchases then you will not have ich in your display. You have to quarantine more than just fish though, you have to quarantine all purchases. This includes, rocks, inverts, coral, etc.

granny

My LFS owner, whom I have mentioned before is a marine biologist and a nanoscientist.
He says that the ick protozoan exists everywhere in the ocean and it attacks fish that are injured or stressed. A normal, healthy fish will be able, in most cases, to shed the ick.
That is why Chem Marin often works, it increased the slime coat and enables the fish to shed the ick. Anyway, he quarantines his new fish and gives them copper dips.
What usually causes the breakout is that fish are extremely stressed over the capturing, bagging shipping etc and reach our tanks in a pretty sorry state of panic.
If your original tank is clean-and your fish are treated prior to being placed in your tank, it is unlikely you will have an outbreak. Back to your question. Usually ick shows up quickly if a fish is infected because of the stress of moving it.
Make sure your QT tank has some hiding places for your new fish or they will panic even more!

sepulatian

Originally Posted by Granny
http:///forum/post/2486428
My LFS owner, whom I have mentioned before is a marine biologist and a nanoscientist.
He says that the ick protozoan exists everywhere in the ocean and it attacks fish that are injured or stressed. A normal, healthy fish will be able, in most cases, to shed the ick.
That is why Chem Marin often works, it increased the slime coat and enables the fish to shed the ick. Anyway, he quarantines his new fish and gives them copper dips.
What usually causes the breakout is that fish are extremely stressed over the capturing, bagging shipping etc and reach our tanks in a pretty sorry state of panic.
If your original tank is clean-and your fish are treated prior to being placed in your tank, it is unlikely you will have an outbreak. Back to your question. Usually ick shows up quickly if a fish is infected because of the stress of moving it.
Make sure your QT tank has some hiding places for your new fish or they will panic even more!
Correct, in the ocean healthy fish will fight off the parasites. Our tanks are closed systems though. The fish can not swim away from the parasites. They are in an enclosed box with the parasites. If the parasites are not introduced into the tank then the fish will not get ich at a later time. Ich is not caused by stress. It has to be introduced into the system. If the fish are quarantined then the display will remain free of parasites.

lion_crazz

I do not agree with anything that your LFS owner told you or practices. Ich is a parasite, and it is either there or it is not. Stress does not cause the parasite. Copper dips will not totally kill ich because it takes 2 weeks of a fish being exposed to the copper to kill the parasite. Plus, copper can hurt and kill many animals such as gobies, eels, puffers, and butterflies.

scsinet

I do disagree with the notion that properly quarantining your fish guarantees an ich free system - though I will say that sepulation did mention "all purchases" though the true meaning she intended may be missed.
First, it's entirely possible that a fish can make it through the quarantine process without ich being noticed, letting it into the system.
It's also possible for corals, live rocks, etc from infected LFS systems carrying dormant trophonts, and them getting into the system that way. Since most people do not quarantine corals (myself included), it's entirely possible that it could get introduced this way.
There are ways to reduce the likelihood, but honestly I think in the long term it's likely that in some way it will get introduced. At that point, good husbandly, healthy fish, stress free environment, and excellent water quality will be your best (and a highly effective) defense.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by SCSInet
http:///forum/post/2486628
I do disagree with the notion that properly quarantining your fish guarantees an ich free system - though I will say that sepulation did mention "all purchases" though the true meaning she intended may be missed.
First, it's entirely possible that a fish can make it through the quarantine process without ich being noticed, letting it into the system.
It's also possible for corals, live rocks, etc from infected LFS systems carrying dormant trophonts, and them getting into the system that way. Since most people do not quarantine corals (myself included), it's entirely possible that it could get introduced this way.
There are ways to reduce the likelihood, but honestly I think in the long term it's likely that in some way it will get introduced. At that point, good husbandly, healthy fish, stress free environment, and excellent water quality will be your best (and a highly effective) defense.
All purchases should be quarantined. This includes rocks, coral, inverts, etc. An ich free system is certainly achievable, many of us have accomplished it.

lion_crazz

Originally Posted by sepulatian
http:///forum/post/2487262
All purchases should be quarantined. This includes rocks, coral, inverts, etc. An ich free system is certainly achievable, many of us have accomplished it.
I do agree with Sepulatian on this one. It is certainly possible.

all108

Ich free is NOT possible. It is always present in everyones tank. It just may be dormant. I agree to the comments above with the guy whose LFS is the marine biologist. Just because you've been lucky and never had an outbreak, does not mean Ich is not looming around in the tank.

m0nk

Originally Posted by all108
http:///forum/post/2500750
Ich free is NOT possible. It is always present in everyones tank. It just may be dormant. I agree to the comments above with the guy whose LFS is the marine biologist. Just because you've been lucky and never had an outbreak, does not mean Ich is not looming around in the tank.
If you actually read into the life cycles of the ich parasite you'll understand why this is not true. "Marine Biologists" don't know everything, and blindly believing them based on the title of "Marine Biologist" is where fact can be confused with fiction.

all108

First of all, I want to thank everyone for their opinions. I posted that after advice I read, and a confirmation from my LFS. Because I am very interested, I have looked in other places on this forum and am coming to realize that Ich-free could happen. You have to agree it is very hard reading sooooo many different articles, and hearing soooo many different opinions on it.

usc932000

Originally Posted by sepulatian
http:///forum/post/2487262
Sep,
What would be the best QT procedure for inverts, rocks and corals. Hypo or dips wont work, so is there another method?

m0nk

Originally Posted by USC932000
http:///forum/post/2502011
Sep,
What would be the best QT procedure for inverts, rocks and corals. Hypo or dips wont work, so is there another method?
I have a frag tank running for that, personally.

R

rcreations

I think it's possible to have an ich free tank, but you have to QT everything. The rocks, live sand, fish, coral, inverts, EVERYTHING. And since 99% of people never do this, I think ich is present in most tanks. Most people just QT fish and this is not enough if you want to have the "perfect" tank. But healthy fish can fight it and don't display signs of ich.

m0nk

Originally Posted by USC932000
http:///forum/post/2502026
Monk,
Then how would the parasite ever be eradicated? How does a frag tank kill the parasite?
No fish, no parasite. The frag tank works as a QT for non-fish items.