Ich has found a way in....

saltfisher

I have one tang in a 10g tank with copper right now. My other tang did not have signs of ich until today, so tomorrow I plan to get another 10g and put him in it. Here's my problem, I read I need to rid the tank of all fish for 4 weeks or so. I have a couple gobies that I'll never be able to catch. I look at them closely and they are not affected with Ich. Is it ok to leave them in the tank?
Once I remove my tang and leave the gobies do I just wait out this cycle of ich...how do I know it's gone..? How do I know after my tangs are clean of it that I can put them back in my DT and have them remain free of ich?

meowzer

As long as their is a fish in the DT the ich will survive.....the only way to make sure it is erradictaed is to leave the DT fallow for 6-8 weeks, and do treatment ...preferably hyposalinity on all the other fish during this time

saltfisher

I read I can't hypo with inverts and anemone type mates. Someone mentioned treatment in my DT...what kind is there besides hypo? I considered getting a "reef safe" treatment and try it. Thoughts on this?

tangs rule

Do not treat your DT, no not hypo your DT. you must "cure" the DT by allowing it to remain fishless for 5-6 weeks. Most of us have never had any luck with reef safe products - and if only slightly misused - those products will kill off your tank...Inverts and all.
Get a refractometer and hypo your fish - all of them. And I;d just get a 20g rather than another 10. In years past - any 2 tangs that lived in a DT that came down with something did OK in a 20-30 g qtine tank.

saltfisher

I was worried about treating the DT...such a pain in the a... to get everything out. So you suggest getting a 20g, add all the fish to it. Hypo'g the qt to like 1.010 - 1.015... I run DT around 1.022 on a regular.
Can the filter on the 10g run the 20g you think? Can I leave all my shrimp in there?
My tangs are about 3 and 3.5". A choc and a tomini.

tangs rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltFisher http:///forum/thread/387317/ich-has-found-a-way-in#post_3407022
I was worried about treating the DT...such a pain in the a... to get everything out. So you suggest getting a 20g, add all the fish to it. Hypo'g the qt to like 1.010 - 1.015... I run DT around 1.022 on a regular.
Can the filter on the 10g run the 20g you think? Can I leave all my shrimp in there?
And the bigger the DT - the more of a PITA. Been there done that!
If your tangs are under 6" - I've qtined pairs of them in a 20g before. As meow posted read the links on hypo - but DO NOT come down too fast. This is a common problem, and it kills fish faster than ich does....Usually lower the sg in the qtine tank ~.002 two times per day - like once in the am and once in the pm. monitor PH as it tends to fall as sg does - so have a little buffer or kalkwasser ready to add a tiny bit as PH falls - just do not Overshoot - so add slightly less buffer than you calculate. You must get to 1.009 max for hypo to work. 1.008 better, but don;t go much lower - it could kill the fish.,
Your filter on the 10 should run a 20 - or rubbermaid. everything BUT the fish can stay in the DT - ich feeds on red blooded creatures to survive - inverts dont count.

C

cuccaro

I have read alot of information on swt since starting ( most of it use less and idiotic) but what I have been seeing alot now is that people believe ick and parasites can live on corals rock inverts for as long as 6 months and that 90% of swt have ick in them. The reason alot of people don't know they have it is because fish are healthy enough to fight it on there own. And that leaving ur dt empty of fish for 6 weeks will kill most parasites they are still there and that it only takes couple to start a wild fire of ick. The reason I say this is I had 55g that I left fish less for 2 months had fish in hypo for to months only fish that dies was flame angel that showed signs of ick. While other fish never showed any signs. After 2 months put fish back in dt and blamm coral beautity had it never added any other fish inverts rock coral ect. Any thoughts about this or any one have similar situation?

cranberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuccaro http:///forum/thread/387317/ich-has-found-a-way-in#post_3407039
I have read alot of information on swt since starting ( most of it use less and idiotic) but what I have been seeing alot now is that people believe ick and parasites can live on corals rock inverts for as long as 6 months and that 90% of swt have ick in them. The reason alot of people don't know they have it is because fish are healthy enough to fight it on there own. And that leaving ur dt empty of fish for 6 weeks will kill most parasites they are still there and that it only takes couple to start a wild fire of ick. The reason I say this is I had 55g that I left fish less for 2 months had fish in hypo for to months only fish that dies was flame angel that showed signs of ick. While other fish never showed any signs. After 2 months put fish back in dt and blamm coral beautity had it never added any other fish inverts rock coral ect. Any thoughts about this or any one have similar situation?
I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. Could you say again?

cranberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangs rule http:///forum/thread/387317/ich-has-found-a-way-in#post_3407028
but DO NOT come down too fast. This is a common problem, and it kills fish faster than ich does....Usually lower the sg in the qtine tank ~.002 two times per day
I've hypo'd at least a couple of hundred fish, I haven't killed one in hypo by going down too fast. I go there all in one shot. Some vets and breeders will argue that it's easier for them to gill in lower salinity, and if their gills are covered in parasites, this is probably a relief..... just sayin'

C

cuccaro

People say that after six weeks of fish free dt ick is gone. My question is it posiable that its not gone on 6 weeks and that reason ppl think it is. Is because fish are healthy enough to fight on own. I see alot of ppl saying 6 weeks and its gone is it possible that it can live on corals and inverts alot longer? And 6 weeks might not be enough I had my tank 2 months and ick came back

cranberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuccaro http:///forum/thread/387317/ich-has-found-a-way-in#post_3407047
People say that after six weeks of fish free dt ick is gone. My question is it posiable that its not gone on 6 weeks and that reason ppl think it is. Is because fish are healthy enough to fight on own. I see alot of ppl saying 6 weeks and its gone is it possible that it can live on corals and inverts alot longer? And 6 weeks might not be enough I had my tank 2 months and ick came back
I think 6 weeks may kill some.... most.... but I believe it to be fact it will not kill ALL. Some are calling it a resistant strain. Plausible, but who knows. I've had my tank fallow 3 months. It came back and there were zero new additions of any kind to the tank. This happened TWICE. I feel pretty confident the fish went back in Ich-free. I think there are encapulations in the DT that "hatched" a whole lot longer than 6 weeks in some instances.
We are presently tearing down that tank.

C

cuccaro

Yea mine came back after 2 months fish free and no new additions.

cranberry

But will set it back up with different rock. This sucker is getting sterilized.
And we have 12 others.....