ICH/Lymphocyctis Help Plz

kylev

I recently noticed some spots on my coral beauty inside my QT tank. I'm guessing its either ICH or Lymphocyctis here are some pictures. I'm leaning towards treating with copper since I am going to be out of town from the 24-26 so need to handle it quickly. Any suggestions? Here are some pictures.

mjm889

looks like lymphocyctis which copper wont help. I have the same problem right now with my juvi emperor fish, still is very active and eats like a pig i have been feeding him food with garlic and vitamins to help boost his immune system. lymphocyctis is sort of like the flu it has to run its course. keep water conditions good and soak food in vitamins and garlic

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjm889 http:///forum/thread/382558/ich-lymphocyctis-help-plz#post_3339532
looks like lymphocyctis which copper wont help. I have the same problem right now with my juvi emperor fish, still is very active and eats like a pig i have been feeding him food with garlic and vitamins to help boost his immune system. lymphocyctis is sort of like the flu it has to run its course. keep water conditions good and soak food in vitamins and garlic
+1...do not medicate the fish.....as said above...make sure your water parameters are perfect, you are feeding good foods, and DEFINITELY add vitamins....selcon is good, as is zoe and vita-chem
lympho is also not contagious
READ THIS
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/wiki/lymphocystis

kylev

thanks for the input. I'm currently feeding a variation of ocean nutrition formula 1,2, angel formula, and mysis. I soak it all in vita-chem and garlic. Thanks for the link meowzer I'll read it here in a bit when I have time. I'm glad it's not ich though I was not excited to have to deal with that issue.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
No copper. It will only make it worse. It is lymphocyctis. What are your water readings?
How long has the fish been in QT?

kylev

K, definitely no copper. The fish has been in the QT for a little over 2 weeks. Its a 55g qt and the readings have good except for the ammonia. Nitrites 0, Nitrates 0, spec grav 1.025, ph 8.1, temp 74-75 and the ammonia has been reading at .5 and not moving. I've been told this could be because of amquel giving me false readings. I was doing 10-15 gallon water changes a night plus dosing with amquel for over a week and the ammonia never moved with the nitrites and nitrates staying at zero so I was told to believe it could be the amquel giving false readings.

aquaknight

Test your source water for ammonia.
Why are you using Amquel? Do treat tap water for chlorine? Or a ammonia-preventitive? What test kit are you using for ammonia?
What happens with Amquel, is that it does breakdown ammonia (NH3), into ammonium (NH4+), that is, somewhat, safer for fish. What your test kit (probably API kit?) is reading total ammonia, which does include NH4+. So the ammonia has been "locked" away, but your test kit will still read it. To test for the actual ammonia in your tank, you'll need a test kit that can read for "free ammonia." I use SeaChem kits.
If you are doing 10-15gal daily changes on a 55gal with only a Coral Beauty in there, I really have my doubts ammonia is hovering at .5ppm.

aquaknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjm889 http:///forum/thread/382558/ich-lymphocyctis-help-plz#post_3339592
im just curious why will copper make it worse???
In the way of stressing out the fish more. Copper, at any level, is a poison to marine fish and invertebrates. Why copper is effective to treat Cryptocaryon irritans (Ich/Ick), is that it's poisonous enough to kill off the Ich, but not the fish.Some fish stress, go on hunger strikes, etc, during copper treatments (and to be far, hypo as well). Since Lymphocyctis is a bacteria/fungus, not a parasitic invert, copper will do nothing in the way in treatment, only possible stress the fish further.

kylev

I was using amquel because I saw the ammonia readings and its supposed to detoxify the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates. I'm using an API test kit and the source water is RO/DI and test at 0ppm ammonia. There's a similar sized flame angel in the qt as well.

gemmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaKnight http:///forum/thread/382558/ich-lymphocyctis-help-plz#post_3339596
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjm889 http:///forum/thread/382558/ich-lymphocyctis-help-plz#post_3339592
im just curious why will copper make it worse???
In the way of stressing out the fish more. Copper, at any level, is a poison to marine fish and invertebrates. Why copper is effective to treat Cryptocaryon irritans (Ich/Ick), is that it's poisonous enough to kill off the Ich, but not the fish.Some fish stress, go on hunger strikes, etc, during copper treatments (and to be far, hypo as well). Since Lymphocyctis is a bacteria/fungus
, not a parasitic invert, copper will do nothing in the way in treatment, only possible stress the fish further.
It's actually a viral disease. It can lead to secondary bacterial or fungal infections.

kylev

the fish has been in the tank for 17 days. The fish came from SWF and has only been housed with the flame angel that I got from a LFS who is doing real good. They both will be moved to a 280g DT when ready.
I'm still worried about the possibility of it being Ich since I have noticed a few additional white spots on its side that looks like ich.

mjm889

hard to tell, my question is will those white growths go away if the virus runs its course or does it stick around.

kylev

The fish is looking the same today maybe a few more spots. I'm not really sure what I need to do, just let time run its course? I did a 10g w/c tonight

kylev

Over the christmas wknd the cb crapped his brains out and caused an ammonia spike, hes now moved to the LFS where my buddy is going to nurse him back to health and I'll either pick him up later or get a different fish. My question now is how long shoud the flame angel remain in the tank? It's been in there for a little over 3 weeks and appears to be healthy. I did a 15 gallon w/c last night and tonight. I tested before tonights change and the ammonia was down to .25 ppm. Any suggestions are appreciated, I'd like to add the flame to a much more stable DT as soon as its safe.

sepulatian

A couple of things here. In your first post you mention that you wanted to use copper to handle the possible ich quickly because you were going out of town. I just want you to understand that copper is not a quick treatment. It still takes at least three weeks and needs to be monitored very carefully. It is hard to tell if the spots on the CB included ich from the pictures. Lympho looks like puffy clumps of cotton, which he appears to have on the fins. The spots on the body are hard to tell. Why did you move that fish to the LFS? You don't know what he had so you don't really know what the other fish has been exposed to. I suppose it is good that you did though. Two angels of similar body shape shouldn't be housed together. It is very likely that the flame was bullying him. I would keep the flame in QT for a few more weeks. If it were me, I would treat him with hyposalinity just to be certain that he doesn't carry ich into your DT. That is your choice though.