ID Check Please

Guys I ordered a bunch of Coral from this site, I put it all in and all of a sudden this guys was in there?? Dont know where the hell he came from.
I have a cleaner shrimp, 10 Peppermint shrimp lots of snails and crabs, I have a reef tank, It looks like a wrasse is he going to kill anything, He is swiming around like a madd man.

Thanks
D

scgator

Sort of looks like a Rainford's Goby, but I can't see any stripes. The body shape looks similar. Sorry for the wishy-washy answer.

zeke92

it was probably hiding in a hole or something. kind of a rare hitchhiker, aa fish that is.
i have no idea what it is, sorry

Here is another pic, You sure its not a warrase? I want to make sure my inverts will be ok otherwise I will get him out.
Thanks
D

nycbob

looks like a wrasse for sure w that pointy mouth. if u hv no other wraisse in the tank, should be fine. if he gets big, then maybe he will eat ur inverts.

alex4286

thats amazing u got a free fish with ur LR order! Lol
looks like some sorta wrasse its prob harmless as most of them are
but i thought rock comes dry when shipped?

alix2.0

Originally Posted by Alex4286
thats amazing u got a free fish with ur LR order! Lol
looks like some sorta wrasse its prob harmless as most of them are
but i thought rock comes dry when shipped?
if it was dry it (the live rock) would die. there are still pockets of water in it as it is shipped damp.

Thanks guys thats what I figured, I just worry about my peppermint shrimp. They are bigger then him so I am not worried yet but I will watch it.
It was a piece of Coral that I bought, Zoos. I took it out of the bag after floating it and all of a sudden this dude was in the tank not sure were the hell he came from.
Thanks for all your help.

rara12

Deff looks like a female blue head wrasse, maybe thats just me...
Heres a pic off google, looks just like your fish.

teen

cool hitchhiker. id just let him be. i doubt he'll go after your inverts. maybe once he gets bigger, but im not sure what type of wrasse he is, so it could go either way.

rara12

BTW if it is a blue head it will change into a male and are reef safe, but might pick on ornamental shrimp

koralkid

The male Exquisite Wrasse, or Exquisite Fairy Wrasse, is green with bright red markings. Its bright red markings may vary depending on the location from which it was collected. It may also have blues, oranges, yellows, and purples decorating the body, depending on its mood. The females generally do not have quite as bold markings as the males.
A 30 gallon or larger aquarium, either fish-only or reef, with a shaded area is recommended. The Exquisite Wrasse will not pick on corals or invertebrates, making them an ideal fish for the reef aquarium. These wrasses do like to jump, so a tight fitting canopy is necessary.
When first introduced into the aquarium, live saltwater feeder shrimp should be used to entice this fish to eat. The Exquisite Wrasse diet should consist of a variety of feeder shrimps, flaked foods, and marine meats.
Its the fiji kind. reef safe. the price is 60 bucks. lucky you got it as a hitchhiker.

Guys thanks for all the info you guys are great and I feel better now, I cant belvie he was wedged into the corral. Pretty crazy Huh. He swims like a bullet and is doing well.

stdreb27

From the second picture it is definately a wrasse. One of the larger variety I believe. Between my lunar and my dogface no inverts live. I'd get him out asap.

mx#28

It does appear to be a juvenile wrasse of some sort - I think from the genus Halichoeres.
Possibly a juvenile Halichoeres bivittatus
or halichoeres brasiliensis
?